Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:40 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2015 Tour
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:57 pm 
Site Admin

Roundhouse stage times

DOORS 19:00
Dancing Years 19:30
Meilyr Jones 20:15
Richard Hawley 21:15
Venue Curfew 23:00

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:04 pm 
Too much time on my hands

I think I disagree with you, Craig. I really didn't like the arena as a venue, even though it was reduced in size. It might be because I was seated and therefore quite a distance from the stage, but I felt very disconnected in a way I don't usually feel at a Hawley gig. The music was fantastic and the band played brilliantly but..... I don't know. I just feel the venue didn't create the usual personable, intimate feel. It might also have been because I missed the usual banter, anecdotes and stories behind the songs - that was missing last night for some reason. Don't get me wrong - I enjoyed it because I love the songs and the way they were arranged (There's a Storm Coming should really be a Bond theme with that arrangement - awesome) but City Hall was/is/will be far better. In my humble opinion. After all, everyone's a critic. X

Craig, Maggie, Denise - if you can delete this and my next post I would be grateful. I have tried through editing but I can't do it. I don't feel what I have said is appropriate now knowing about the loss of Richard's dear friend. Thank you x

Last edited by Lou on Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:16 pm 

I have just read the 'Sheffield' and J P Bean thread. I think that explains last night and the lack of banter. I am so sorry, Richard, and want to express my gratitude that you still went on with the gig when you are obviously heartbroken. I am also pleased you are in Sheffield with your family right now. My sincerest sympathies.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:28 pm 
The Boss

There was loads of banter last night I don't get it? Also I'm a musician not a comedian the banter happens when its natural,last night there wasn't much from the audience compared to say Manchester or Holmfirth the banter is never really planned Lou it just happens I often think and feel like I should say nothing at all the music should be enough surely?

thank you for your nice comments....everyone.....in general folks seem to be happy with what we are doing on this tour it's different and more ambitious...I'm sorry for the folks who are disappointed but I have to change and develop things can't remain the same I have to move forwards we tried something different and to honest we had a great time despite feeling low because of Julian's passing which is devastating,music has always healed me in times of trouble plus I don't want to let anyone down by cancelling shows anyway.....FORWARDS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:50 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

I feel like there's often quibbling amongst fans of whomever, and while everyone has an opinion about this or that (justified or no), I tend to think it's automatically awesome to get to see someone you really dig, no matter the setting or circumstance. If you're lucky enough to get to see your favorite performers, then that's all that really matters in the end. Our memories tend to play up the parts we like and minimize the parts we don't, anyhow. :) You guys are so fortunate to be where you are and have the opportunity, you know? I'm way the fuck over here and I'd be perfectly content to listen to Rich reading appliance warranty fine print in a city dump, if it meant a chance to see him! Not being sassy, I understand everyone's got their critiques, but just saying. :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:39 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

I thought the gig was fabulous, unless you had read the forum you really wouldn't have known that Richard had suffered such a blow. I heard that poor Dean has been unwell as well so the guys are a real bunch of troupers.

The music was just wonderful as usual and the guys were "really rockin" to quote a certain song lyric. So much so that Shez even came unplugged at one point :D

Thanks guys and Mrs B for a wonderful evening. It was worth the wait. My only complaint was that Storm was over way too quickly!

Looking forward to the Roundhouse tomorrow. For such musicianship I am gladly postponing watching the last episode of Downton Abvey. Wouldn't even consider it for anyone else :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:47 pm 

Banter was the wrong word, Mr H. Your comedic put downs were there in force - I am just thankful I don't come from Nottingham. What I meant was the personal anecdotes between songs and the stories behind or inspiration for some of your music. Having the privilege to know some of that adds depth when listening to your music. I remember sitting in the doctor's waiting room where they have radio 2 playing and Hotel Room was being played. When it finished Terry Wogan commented what a lovely old-fashioned love song it was. And that is how it sounds - until you know it is about heroin and then it takes on a totally different vibe. 'I was likewise' towards the end of Remorse Code suddenly meant something when you explained it was about cocaine addiction and how it destroyed a friend's life. I was hoping to hear a little about the inspiration for some of the new songs. Perhaps I am a lone voice and others are thinking shut up rattling on and get on with the music!

I have to say I still stand by my view that I wasn't keen on the arena. Your comment that you weren't getting much back compared to other venues might support my opinion perhaps? I just wanted my comments deleting after hearing about the death of someone dear to you because they seemed inappropriate - your music was what mattered and the chatter was insignificant in comparison.

Myra, I hope you get to see Richard and his band live one day. It is a fantastic experience. The sound of Richard's voice is incredible and the band are so together it soars above the recorded versions.

Have a fantastic night tomorrow. Your fans are out in force and I hope that their support and love of your music helps you through this difficult time. x

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:49 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

I'm fuckin delighted to be missing Downton gimme the live music any day and then the Roundhouse which has very special memories for me of my first live Richard Hawley show in 2007. I'm right up for it tomorrow.
I absolutely agree about the banter being about feeding off each other band and audience. I thank all like Richard that they are artists who are there to give their music AND be part of the two way street that makes for a great gig. So many don't or its all scripted. Give me the peas in the freezer or 2 copies of the DA live album pi$$ taking every time.
We are all human and the human touch from guys we love as musicians is the fairy dust at gigs.
(Ps give Shez the mic)

pps Josie let us know where

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:09 am 
Hawley Groupie

another round of gigs, and another chance of getting mints and/or relish lost.

anyone wanna hook up some git from the states???

i'd gladly paypal whatever youd like.

we miss you, richard. you've been in nyc twice and have only see you 3 times :-(

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:14 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

jamesy wrote:
pps Josie let us know where

I don't know that part of town well, but a pub called Tapping the Admiral has excellent reviews on the usual sites and is nearby: http://whatpub.com/pubs/NLD/6020/tappin ... ral-london
I'd be happy to take a punt on it.
At present I have no takers for my spare ticket so I'll probably be going on my own - so please do let me know if any of you are coming to the pub first as, if not, I'll probably just go straight to the gig. I'm an adventurous sort, but I'm not up for drinking in the Admiral on my own eyeing up everyone who walks through the door. That could lead to trouble..... :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:39 am 
The Boss

I'm just being grumpy sorry

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:41 am 
Waitrose Warrior

I thought last night in Sheffield was fabulous, an 1hr 45 mins gig has never gone so fast. I was sat right at the back - unusually for me but didn't feel like standing this time - but felt completely "involved" in the gig, it was a good crowd and although arenas don't exactly encourage intimacy it felt right, City Hall is a beautiful venue but there was something special about going to the arena last night and I was so pleased to hear a good selection from Standing at the Sky's Edge preferring as I do the heavier end of the spectrum which REALLY worked in that room and in that acoustic....anyway no need to wax lyrical, thanks Richard & the guys for a great and memorable night in spite of some very sad news I've only just come across x

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:48 am 
Resident YouTube tech guru

I was sorry not to be there at the Sheffield gig, sounds like I missed a great show. I'm afraid my time clock has gone even further upside down these days, working at night (and spending too much time online when I come home - I'm going to fix that) and I'm having one of my reclusive phases. Much as I was looking forward to the gig I didn't feel up to the cut & thrust of Sheffield traffic at rush hour & I retreated into the shed. I was with you all in spirit though & glad you had a good time 8)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:19 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Richard Hawley wrote:
I'm just being grumpy sorry

Not true. Shush.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:06 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

I thought the arena gig was awesome. The sound and depth of the songs was just brilliant, proper goosebumps stuff several times. Best I've seen RH really blew me away. There's a storm a comin, open up your door, sky's edge, sometimes I feel, in fact all of it. Loved it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 21  Next