Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2015 Tour
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:18 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

loftyeric2 wrote:
I was sorry not to be there at the Sheffield gig, sounds like I missed a great show. I'm afraid my time clock has gone even further upside down these days, working at night (and spending too much time online when I come home - I'm going to fix that) and I'm having one of my reclusive phases. Much as I was looking forward to the gig I didn't feel up to the cut & thrust of Sheffield traffic at rush hour & I retreated into the shed. I was with you all in spirit though & glad you had a good time 8)

Hope you're ok Lofty, I know what your saying, sometimes you need to step back a bit to come forward again, ok that makes no sense at all :D

Take care

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:25 am 
The Boss

Makes total sense to me,I actually love going"tortoise".....it takes a lot of strength for some folks to even say hello this isn't a gentle world and it's hard to find thi Sen....lofty....take care pal ..>

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:19 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Richard - thanks for the cracking gigs. I was lucky enough to make 4 of the shows (I booked them ages ago when I was away on a school trip.... as usual) and this last two weeks has been hectic keeping on top of the job and driving halfway across the country, getting in at daft o'clock and getting up to go back to work again. I wouldn't do it if it wasn't worth it though, so thanks to you and the band for putting on a great show. Enjoyed them all, but Manchester was special!

Well done to whoever did the lighting - speaking as someone who enjoys taking photos at gigs, the care and planning that went into the lighting design was clear. Top stuff.

One question - why was there a plugged in vocal mic placed in a bag behind the monitors each night? I couldn't work out why that was. Some technical reason?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:28 pm 
Too much time on my hands

(Not grumpy - you give your all, are exhausted and impossibly sad and some idiot comes on seemingly whining about 'banter' - understandable. I should articulate myself better or shut up)

Interesting comments about the arena as a venue. It just shows how subjective it is. I just love beautiful, historic buildings with a soul. I looked up at the arena, as I always do when seated in a building, and saw nothing other grey, black, and the outline of ugliness. It is hard to surpass beautiful, powerful music in a beautiful setting - one of life's real pleasures. One of the reasons why it would be fantastic to see the band at the Minnack - if it were logistically possible! I am boring myself now so I will shut up about the arena as a venue. The end.

Lofty - I hope your life gets back some balance and harmony soon. What Gary says is so true. Take care. x (and Sheffield at rush hour is a nightmare - I sit in it often...)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:23 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Lovely pics Nick and love to you Lofty. Xxx

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:28 pm 
Regular poster

efsb wrote:
One question - why was there a plugged in vocal mic placed in a bag behind the monitors each night? I couldn't work out why that was. Some technical reason?

No big mystery - just a spare vocal mic. Murphy's law says that if you have a spare, you'll not have trouble with the main one. ..>

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:17 pm 
Hawleytastic!

loftyeric2 wrote:
I was sorry not to be there at the Sheffield gig, sounds like I missed a great show. I'm afraid my time clock has gone even further upside down these days, working at night (and spending too much time online when I come home - I'm going to fix that) and I'm having one of my reclusive phases. Much as I was looking forward to the gig I didn't feel up to the cut & thrust of Sheffield traffic at rush hour & I retreated into the shed. I was with you all in spirit though & glad you had a good time 8)

Missed you Lofty - take care mate.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:38 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

What a stupendous gig at the Roundhouse. Everyone in fine form, music just ace, I am running out of words to describe just how good Richard and the lads are. Felt myself welling up at the sheer sweetness of the Gretsch on Storm, just beautiful.

Extra special was the minute's silence followed by Heart of Oak.

Richard thank you so much for the music and for making this old timer so very happy ..>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:29 am 
Site Admin

Fantastic gig, first through the doors so front centre spaces were bagged.

Both support acts were excellent.

H and the band seemed to be really enjoying playing for us which was fantastic.

Seemed like the whole audience took note of the one minute silence which shows they can keep their mouths shut even if only for that minute.

Nice to see e-botti and his lady as we joined the throng slowly leaving the Roundhouse by the only exit they provide and we just made the last tube. My flat is full of sleeping Hawley fans.

Set list was as Sheffield.

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:03 am 
Resident YouTube tech guru

Ey up everyone - thanks for all the positive words. Aren't you all kind 8) . I'm actually all well & happy, just a solitary soul by nature & perhaps a bit more so lately with the night work, although the job suits me down to the ground. And for someone who finds Sheffield traffic a nightmare I'm strangely at home working in close proximity to aircraft, how does that make sense :eh?
Felt bad not seeing you play, Richard, and for not catching up with forum friends. Hollow Meadows accompanies me home in the car every night & that's always a pleasant thing.

Stepping back to come forward again makes perfect sense to me Gary ..>

Going ''tortoise'' - I may have to borrow that expression :thumright:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:46 am 
Hawleytastic!

Great night at the Roundhouse. Really enjoyed the set – a great mix of stuff, which just confirmed that What Loves Means is my favourite Hawley song. Gorgeous, gorgeous thing it is.

We managed to get to the front-ish without tall, hairy people blocking our way. And while we couldn't see most of the band, we had a good view of Shez and it was great to see his artistry.

Just love the Roundhouse as a venue, especially when the roof is open. We went to the Made bar underneath for a brandy afterwards and made the schoolboy error of missing the last Tube. Still, had a lovely mini cab driver, an Iranian who used to be an industrial chemist and we put the world to rights on the journey. Am a bit notorious among our friends for conversations with cab drivers – will she bore them so much they'll let her off the fare?

The crowd were up for it. Thought there was a distinct lack of talking. Some pissed bloke heckling, who Hawley called a c**t (you need to develop something more harsh as some Londoners use that as a term of affection for their children) but on the whole, everyone was well behaved.

Best joke of the evening: Sheffield has been twinned with Las Vegas because they're the only two places you can pay for sex with chips... clearly, H has never been to Canvey – Joke: How can you tell a girl from Canvey has had an orgasm? Punchline: she drops her chips.

That's my lot for the tour, unless anyone needs me to bore cab drivers in Spain, Paris or Amsterdam, in which case, you know where I am.xxx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:14 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

now then, Richard.................. that was a belter of a show and as everyone above has said this is you and the guys at the top of your game and when you and Shez get going on those axes its feckin ace. The Rickenbacker was singing in the winter/woods combo.
Here's the setlist for anyone who hasn't seen Sheffield (I haven't)

Which Way
Tonight the streets are ours
Skys Edge
I still want you (with Charlie/Charlene Beresford on violin)
Leave your body behind you
Sometimes I feel
Open up your door
Tuesday PM (C Beresford on violin)
Time will bring you winter
Down in the woods
Don't stare at the sun

Remembrance Sunday one minute's silence (observed perfectly)

Hearts of Oak
Storm

Coles Corner
What love means
The Ocean

It was a lovely addition to have the violin on-stage which I hadn't seen at Holmfirth, but maybe has been everywhere since. The Mensa Christmas party jibe was out for the odd gobshite at the front middle but thankfully they didn't cause too many problems

Bristol's only an hour away for me and it's very tempting tonight but I have male voice choir practice on a Monday and I've gotta get my California Dreamin' head on :roll:

We got caught up at the Rum Shack with a tidy house band for longer than we should have done before the show but that resulted in a great position central about 15-20 people back, but sorry not to bump into too many folk I know last night. Spare ticket re-selling was impossible so I gave mine to the staff in the bar downstairs that Helen was on about. Sound was excellent once the guys sorted out the fuzz bass from the left stack (looking at the stage) in Which Way.

Top top night once again and roll on Southampton.

Cheers Richard and all who make these nights possible oh and a bad mistake edit - thanks for getting 6 of my Top 10 in ..>

Last edited by jamesy on Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:50 am 
Too much time on my hands

Fantastic ..> I thought Sheffield was great as well. Quite fancy Amsterdam and Berlin now :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:26 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Bit late but I thought the (Sheffield) Arena gig was immense, loudest I've ever heard the band play.
As it was in Holmfirth, Heart of Oak followed by Storm was fantastic, at which point both my sisters
turned and said "look....goosebumps!" Album sales have just gone up! ..>

Big shout out for Meilyr Jones.....superb. Quick chat buying and getting his CD signed; he plans to
tour in the New Year, possibly February......We'll be there. ..>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:28 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Take care Lofty......maybe the "tortoise" will be out in the spring. :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 21  Next