Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2015 Tour
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:01 pm 
Newcomer

Just back in from last night's Bristol gig...we did a bit of shopping this morning....and what a brilliant night it was, our favourite show to date, a truly magical mix of numbers, old and new.
I think it's the latter point that made the whole thing feel so very special, numbers we've all grown up with mixing like old friends with the newer stuff, a seamless blend of power and beauty from a band playing at the heights of its powers, truly breath-taking stuff.
Huge thanks again to Richard and everyone involved for making this sometimes grim old life more tolerable, you really do make the sun shine.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:56 am 
Resident YouTube tech guru

noblebones wrote:
......Sorry you couldn't make it, lofty, but you made the best decision for you - Friday afternoon traffic is a nightmare wherever you go. Hope to see you next year some time, perhaps?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:42 pm 
Newcomer

Hi folks,

Now that i'm back from London, and the tremendous gig at The Roundhouse, I can finally post a review.

After a couple of pints at The Hawley Arms (5 min walk from the venue), my family and I went to the Roundhouse, which was beautiful, never been there before the gig, and we were charmed by it. I tried to buy a 45rpm of 'Serious' at the merchandise, but the woman didn't know at which price to sell it :eh? . A pint later it was apparently OK and I was able to complete my RH collection :Hoorah .

The two opening shows were good, especially appreciated the one with the bassoon, it reminded me of my younger days, playing that instrument.

And then Mr H arrived. Excellent gig opener with 'Which Way', with great guitars. The songs of the last album sound great on stage. Also big up to the band ..> they put on the show!
I was a bit surprised that there were so many songs from 'Standing At The Sky's Edge' but that's ok for me as I LOVE that album. 'Open Up Your Door' was widely acclaimed from beginning to end, that is totally deserved. This one, followed by 'Tuesday PM', really were the heartmelting moment of the gig. So many great song during that gig, 'I Still Want You' was another highlight of the show for me. All songs were highlights actually.

Fantastic idea to play 'There's A Storm A-Comin' and 'Coles Corner' which I really didn't expect to hear live one day.

Keep on going Richard, and looking forward to seeing you in Paris! 8)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:04 pm 
Regular poster

Quite probably one of the main highlights of last week's Sheffield gig for me was finally seeing and hearing 'Storm' live. Ever since I first heard its origins on the False Lights EP I have loved that song and yearned to see it performed live. The EP came out I think just before the very memorable Teddy Boys Picnic and I hoped beyond hope that I would see RH play it in that magical barn setting. Alas no, and that trend continued at Buxton (twice), Pocklington and Sheffield City Hall even though I'm sure it was played at other some other venues on the Sky's Edge tour. Anyway, I've witnessed it now so that box is now well and truly ticked :Hoorah

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:07 pm 
The Boss

That's Col's fave choon,he's always a bit deflated if we don't play it

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:15 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

I could see that. The live version bombastic bassline will melt your face right off, has to be fun to play ..>

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:15 pm 
Secretly Canadian

Lou wrote:
I think I disagree with you, Craig. I really didn't like the arena as a venue, even though it was reduced in size. It might be because I was seated and therefore quite a distance from the stage, but I felt very disconnected in a way I don't usually feel at a Hawley gig. The music was fantastic and the band played brilliantly but..... I don't know. I just feel the venue didn't create the usual personable, intimate feel.

Don't get me wrong, i generally hate arena type gigs. As venues for a night out they're shite, but sonically it just worked well for me. The louder stuff like Down In The Woods sounded much better in that space than in the City Hall to me.

"you ain't afraid of no alleyway when you are the thing in the dark"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:10 am 
Waitrose Warrior

Couldn't agree more, Craig. Acoustics were brilliant at the Arena. Suited those songs really really well, and it was a small price to pay to be sat what felt like miles away.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:18 pm 
Newcomer

Mr. Hawley : wellcome , enjoy de gigs today and tomorrow. A next time i´ll go to hear you ( summer perhaps ... ). Thanks for your music.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:58 pm 
The Boss

Madrid was ace really lovely crowd,it was insanely packed like kind of dangerously full but what a gig....Cesar our promoter took us to the coolest bar ever after I think it was called the Milky Way?....pool table,dance floor and chooooooonns proper real choons I have most of them but there was loads I'd never hear before,what a boss night :Hoorah

just got to Barcelona sound check,food,sleep....gig it's sold out so should be ok fingers crossed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:03 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Never mind that, what's the weather like? First rule of being somewhere nice when the rest of us are being pissed on... is it warm and lovely? xxx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:49 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

I went to see Springsteen in the Bernebeu in Madrid in 2008 and the crowd was mental. There is something about a load of Spaniards on a night out - hope the Hendos sales were through the roof. That'll sort them out....... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:30 am 
The Boss

helenwatson wrote:
Never mind that, what's the weather like? First rule of being somewhere nice when the rest of us are being pissed on... is it warm and lovely? xxx

:roll:

Well if it makes you happy I got lost in a rainstorm last night...I love a bit of weather me

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:44 am 
Hawleytastic!

Thank you . As you were...

x

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:55 pm 
The Boss

Barcelona and Brussels both mega gigs thank you to the audiences for making us so very welcome,especially the Brussels crowd all I heard were sirens ALL day it was a bit nervy to say the least but the crowd braved the obvious potential for trouble and we played to a sold out venue amidst police cars and a strong military presence on the streets

Thank you folks ..>

Antwerp tonight,My mate Johnny Bramwell is playing too so hopefully get to see him at some point

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next