Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:36 pm 
Hawleytastic!

A competition here - USA only though................

http://www.culturebully.com/contest-richard-hawley-prize-pack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:30 pm 
Hawleytastic!

A review on a blog just published...........

Richard Hawley
December 12 @ Café Du Nord

A few short weeks before Christmas, despite the seemingly endless barrage of odds and ends to take care of and a not uncommon case of winter fatigue, I forced myself out of the house to see Richard Hawley perform at Café Du Nord in all his crooning British glory. Hawley claimed to be ill, jovially telling us he had just puked right before ascending the stage from “bad food,” but he was very talkative and clearly excited to be back in San Francisco, his first show in the Bay in 12 years. He performed material almost exclusively from his new album, Lady’s Bridge, projecting his ‘50s-ish sound and smooth, adult contemporary voice with a lot of flair, tapping into both rockabilly roots and white British soul. Hawley was accompanied by a backup band, whose bass player at times employed a huge, standup instrument, which melded effortlessly with Hawley’s classy onstage demeanor. The audience, comprised mostly of grey-haired gentlemen and cute bespectacled girls, together must have made Hawley feel special, so adoring they were throughout, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Hawley didn’t make it back to San Francisco much earlier than a decade from now. All in all, one of those shows that just kinda soothes your soul and calms your nerves, so necessary in the midst of all that thankfully bygone holiday madness. - Angela Zimmerman
8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:49 pm 
Too much time on my hands

Hey, I'm a cute bespectacled girl! (Wasn't one of those cute bespectacled girls, though.) Aren't good reviews nice? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:12 pm 
The Boss

er however the audiences in the states were very young

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:04 pm 

Actually, some of these reviews are really weird. It might be that they're going for witty & getting offensive... Still, you soothe souls. Isn't that good to know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:22 pm 
The Boss

of course i don't mind at all

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:13 am 
Newcomer

[quote]The Baroness A review on a blog just published...........

Richard Hawley
December 12 @ Café Du Nord

A few short weeks before Christmas, despite the seemingly endless barrage of odds and ends to take care of and a not uncommon case of winter fatigue, I forced myself out of the house to see Richard Hawley perform at Café Du Nord in all his crooning British glory. Hawley claimed to be ill, jovially telling us he had just puked right before ascending the stage from “bad food,” but he was very talkative and clearly excited to be back in San Francisco, his first show in the Bay in 12 years. He performed material almost exclusively from his new album, Lady’s Bridge, projecting his ‘50s-ish sound and smooth, adult contemporary voice with a lot of flair, tapping into both rockabilly roots and white British soul. Hawley was accompanied by a backup band, whose bass player at times employed a huge, standup instrument, which melded effortlessly with Hawley’s classy onstage demeanor. The audience, comprised mostly of grey-haired gentlemen and cute bespectacled girls, together must have made Hawley feel special, so adoring they were throughout, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Hawley didn’t make it back to San Francisco much earlier than a decade from now. All in all, one of those shows that just kinda soothes your soul and calms your nerves, so necessary in the midst of all that thankfully bygone holiday madness. - Angela Zimmerman[/quote]

Oh, this review doesn't do justice. The SF show was amazing! Richard you sounded GREAT, the Band....they were wonderful. The opening musician Ferraby Lionheart was also a great performer, great choice for an opener.

Please Richard, if you come around to the San Francisco Bay Area again(please do!)....play at Bimbo's, it's a larger venue and would suit your sound (and look) so well. One of my favorite "intimate" venues in the City. While waiting in line before the show, I saw a good number of pretty desperate people begging anyone to sell any extra ticket to them.

At the end of the show I nearly had a fit when you left the stage. I started screaming, "The Ocean, The Ocean!" Crazy girl, I know. But alas, you rewarded us with that beautiful song as an encore. Thank you for coming all the way to the States to perform, and thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU for the music!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:59 am 
The Boss

thank you for the screaming

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:08 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Richard Hawley wrote:
thank you for the screaming

:*: Catsandbooks were discussing the fact that neither of us can whistle - so I debated getting one of those football rattles instead but thought I'd probably get chucked out............. so I'll have to stick to shouting and sending good vibes out to the stage......... :*:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:07 pm 
Hawleytastic!

From Radio Free Chicago - a whole 15 min video............... :D

http://radiofreechicago.typepad.com/reredesign/2008/02/rfc-tv-richard.html

Great comment on there - "modern singer/songwriters don't have the level of showmanship and drama that he has............." :D :D

Last edited by The Baroness on Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:11 pm 
Site Admin

And Shez too. Great to see a focus on him for a change.

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:33 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Damn that's good................ if any computer whiz knows how I can save that to my PC and then convert to MP4 for the ipod please feel free to share your expertise............ that video will keep me happy for hours................. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:38 pm 

Watching the video now. Just had to say that the comment underneath that says "when Mr. Hawley steps on stage, all worries and problems seem to fall away"... Very true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:48 pm 
Site Admin

I think you need to download Realplayer and then upgrade to Realplayer pro - I'll forward you the e-mail they sent me.

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:51 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Realplayer pro - sounds like I might have to pay for that? :? :*:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next