Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:29 pm 
I.....Need.....A.....Life

Hot Charity wrote:
beeshette wrote:
And I love watching that old film of them riding around on horses...I think it accompanied Strawberry Fields.

That's the clip for Penny Lane, though it was shot at the same time as Strawberry Fields so they look fairly similar at times.

Oh yes...I just watched it on youtube (not that I doubted you)...........its still impressive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:18 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Dawoodcock wrote:
Love the signature Longpigsdad, from one of my favourite songs.

I amazed you recognised it!? The single "Tears in the Wind" was Chicken Shack's follow-up I believe to "I would rather Go Blind" It only reached no. 28 in the top 40 back in 1969.
I have a vinyl 45 copy of the song but no longer have a record player. I need to find somewhere selling a copy of the "100 Ton Chicken" album so I can hear it again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:43 pm 
Site Admin

I bought a 'best of' CD so I have it - I too had the 7", and it was the follow up to I'd Rather Go Blind.

Would you like an MP3 of the song?

It's on Chicken Shack, the Complete Blue Horizon Sessions - triple CD with 56 tracks on it.

Post subject: Beatles
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:59 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

I was born in 1962 so I was just a little bit late for The Beatles and I have always believed that they were overrated and the media over the years has been drilling their importance into the minds of the general public until it became the norm to accept them as the greatest band ever.

The first band that I became obsessed with were T.rex but it was not until much later that the band of my life came along The Smiths. To me they are the most important band in music history and Morrissey/Marr the greatest song writing partnership ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:51 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Dawoodcock wrote:
I bought a 'best of' CD so I have it - I too had the 7", and it was the follow up to I'd Rather Go Blind.

Would you like an MP3 of the song?

It's on Chicken Shack, the Complete Blue Horizon Sessions - triple CD with 56 tracks on it.

Denise it would be really kind of you to provide me with an MP3 version of the song. Thank-you. Steve
(PS I thought I had already replied to you earlier - but obviously not. Mind you the Forum does sem to be having problems with slow running) :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:06 pm 
Site Admin

I think the forum is excelling itself tonight in slowness and errors.

e-mail on it's way.

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

Post subject: Re: Beatles
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:18 pm 
Hawley Groupie

Denisc wrote:
I was born in 1962 so I was just a little bit late for The Beatles and I have always believed that they were overrated and the media over the years has been drilling their importance into the minds of the general public until it became the norm to accept them as the greatest band ever.

The first band that I became obsessed with were T.rex but it was not until much later that the band of my life came along The Smiths. To me they are the most important band in music history and Morrissey/Marr the greatest song writing partnership ever.

I was born in 1960, the Beatles songs were everywhere, but i didn't know anything about them. I remember looking at the cover of Rubber Soul thinking it was all the same person, I knew I liked the music but my abiding memory was getting a hiding off my Dad for wasting my pocket money on Beatles bubble gum.

I love them but when T.Rex came along I understood a bit more, Bolan was so recognisable and I remember telling my brother who was couple of years older than me and a Beatle fan that T.Rex was the new Beatles for people of my age, and I suppose for a couple of year I was right.

I don't subscribe to the Lennon better than McCartney thing, some Lennon solo albums were crap and no-one mentions that.

Too many good songs to pick one out but one thing amongst many amazing contributions to the world of popular music was their use of interesting chord structures away from the straight blues/rock 'n roll three chord songs that were prevalent at the time, not that there is anything wrong with that of course, but it was a progression.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:21 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I love their Larry Williams covers especially "bad boy" it beats the orignal even.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:23 pm 
Site Admin

I think Lennon and McCartney were equally good, I just prefer Lennon's vocal style to McCartney's.

T Rex - now that's probably got to be another thread altogether.

Light All the Fires He's the King of the Rumbling Spires . . . .

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

Post subject: Re: Beatles
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:26 pm 
Waitrose Warrior

Ricky wrote:
some Lennon solo albums were crap and no-one mentions that.

in my opinion double fantasy is a bit poor and the production on mind games is terrible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:57 pm 
Too much time on my hands

hissyt wrote:
I love their Larry Williams covers especially "bad boy" it beats the orignal even.

:shock: nah.

For that very reason, I have a problem with their early stuff - although I do like the 1st LP Please Please Me........

I could never get my head around them getting such adulation for releasing average covers of rock and roll songs - some like 'rock and roll music' are ok, but the version of 'Roll Over Beethoven' and the Carl Perkins ones......... :cry: For my ears, it's only after (and including) 'Help' that each album becomes great all the way through (though 'Act Naturally' borders on the criminal :? )

http://www.myspace.com/stevebillybuckley

http://www.myspace.com/thewagontrain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:07 pm 
The Boss

you have to remember though that not many people knew the originals and without the stones and Beatles the likes of carl Perkins,Muddy Waters and Howlin wolf would have been forgotten the American general public didn't have a clue who they were......and in fact....still don't

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:23 pm 
Regular poster

Its strange to think that as a band they produced songs that changed modern music and after they split i can only name one song that is up there if not higher than anything they had recorded as a band. IMAGINE. This is possibly the only song they would have added into their set along with their greatest hits.
Lennon always seemed to try to live up to the Rocker or Revolutionist.
Macca was happy making poppy quirky ballady stuff
George seemed to stick more to his personal influences and slidey solos
Ringo did a couple of singalong type hits in the 70s
But they seemed to loose touch with what was happening musically and were never influential after they split, possibly just before.
i never really got into any of them as individuals musically. i liked what John stood for, Paul played happy families and still seems an ok guy. george did a huge amount of peace work, i even liked Thomas the Tank Engine! musically though not for me
That said, i love them. From the Star Club to Let it Be. It was like a chemistry that few have ever found. Nirvana perhaps.
this is of course my own humble opinion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:28 pm 
Too much time on my hands

Very true Richard - I don't have a particular downer on them - just that I prefer the original recordings of the rock and roll stuff.
I guess, in the context of the period, then yes - hats off to them for sticking to their guns and recording material that went against the grain of Cliff/Bobby Vee/Bobby Rydell etc and giving folks a heads up about Carl Perkins + The Miracles etc..... I always preferred the Stones for covering other peoples records though - in fact I prefer the Stones version of Lennon + McCartney's 'I wanna be your man'.

They did have a great vision about music though - but for me it kicks in at around late '64/'65 when some beautiful and original stuff was being produced. I listen to them often

http://www.myspace.com/stevebillybuckley

http://www.myspace.com/thewagontrain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:32 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Doesn't anyone think Tomorrow Never Knows is the best Beatles song? A song *way* ahead of its time, genius.

However in my opinion I also do think they are overrated generally. Personally Hendrix, The Stones, Velvet Underground, The Who, The Doors, & The Stooges all had a much greater influence on the stuff that I listen to that came after the 60's. Not to say I think they're crap, they're clearly not - a mark of a great band is their cultural impact & they certainly had one, but from a personal point of view I can't stand the majority of their output. I find it on the whole to be sexless, often twee, and I can't bear either of their voices & especially those bloody harmonies - it's the musical equivalent of nails down a black board for me, a particular offender being Please Please Me - aaaargh... I've tried so hard to like them but it just doesn't seem to happen.

That said I do like the aforementioned tune, Ticket To Ride, Hard Day's Night (despite the harmonies), While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except For Me & My Monkey, Strawberry Fields, & one or 2 others.

- http://www.chrismsaunders.co.uk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next