Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:58 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Buddy Holly Style ?
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:35 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Hi Richard
Just seen a video on you tube of Tonight the Streets, your style of playing looks so like Buddy, looks like your playing the downstrokes, even if your not it looks so bloody Buddy anyway :D Bet it makes your wrist ache :roll:
Thought the duet with Jools was good by the way.
With fathers day coming up what CD's of yours would you recommend :?: Don't say all of them I've only got two kids so narrow it down a bit.
I believe Holly's music is often overlooked nowadays, but it was an inspiration to so many groups in the sixties and influenced the foundations of "pop" music as it is today more than folks realise.
Chris
Post Scrip
Buddy had so much influence on his songs production wise, bloody great, and so advanced for the era! No Buddy song sounds the same production wise tell you what, nobody will better "Everyday" the slapping on the knees percussion, or "I guess it doesn't matter anymore" "Words of Love" did anyone see the Arena doc narrated by Sir Paul ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:15 pm 
The Boss

He was brilliant if you see his output and the age at which he passed away its amazing he was a genius no doubt

did you mean CD's i have made or CD's i like?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:45 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Buddy Holly had it all musically, was by the sounds of things a wild performer live and those few bits of footage seem to illustrate that, wrote great inventive songs but kept things simple and didn't, despite more lavish production ever lose sight of hard rock n roll. The two lps Buddy Holly Story and Buddy Holly Story Vol 2 were part of the soundtrack provided by me Dad, along with a couple of storming eps and 78s (I remember the sadness in my dad's eyes when Peggy Sue got broken).

Holly set the trend for The Beatles and was a massive influence on the Stones. I just wish they'd sort out all the wrangling about his music and produce a definitive CD series like the 6 volume vinyl set

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 6:32 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Richard Hawley wrote:
He was brilliant if you see his output and the age at which he passed away its amazing he was a genius no doubt

did you mean CD's i have made or CD's i like?

CD's of yours :) Might as well let the kids spend their brass on something worthwhile :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 6:46 pm 
Regular poster

Richard Hawley wrote:

Freaks me out I've now lived longer than him. Was weird to turn 22 and be older than Cochran, and turning 24 next year will mean being older than Bobby Fuller. They sure did a lot in their short lives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:55 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Iv'e lived longer than all of you put together 8) Anyway on with the plot, anyone who is interested in Buddy must appreciate the quality of the productions, the way his voice is "manipulated" to fit the mood of the song. I vividly remember listening to Buddy on an "Eight Track" in my car, remember the old Eight Track, showing my age now, anyone remember the old "Waltham" portable tape recorder :roll: I use to tape all the Charts from the radio, the batteries didn't last long so I used a small Japanese motorbike battery, trouble is it leaked and ruined my Levis, they cost a bomb then, the jeans, not the batteries !
The Arena doc is well worth a peek, it's Sir Paul's reaction and a great attempt at setting the record straight after the film about Buddy.
Great stuff.
Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:54 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Hot Charity wrote:
Freaks me out I've now lived longer than him. Was weird to turn 22 and be older than Cochran, and turning 24 next year will mean being older than Bobby Fuller. They sure did a lot in their short lives.

When you put it like that.. at 28 - it is a healthy dose of perspective. I love all three of those guys' music.

http://myspace.com/francisdonaghy

Last edited by Fra Donaghy on Thu May 15, 2008 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:40 am 
The Boss

i am 41 shortly i will be older than Elvis was i think he was 42 not sure though,i am more amazed how fucked up he was,i am certainly not that bad...............well almost..............glad i learned to use a knife and fork which he never did which is why he NEVER ate in in public and the only stuff he could eat was"Finger food"apparently this is true i read several stories about this from folk who were close to him,i just have a big spoon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:41 am 
Hawleytastic!

Yes he was 42.............

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:11 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Richard Hawley wrote:
i am 41 shortly i will be older than Elvis was i think he was 42 not sure though,i am more amazed how fucked up he was,i am certainly not that bad...............well almost..............glad i learned to use a knife and fork which he never did which is why he NEVER ate in in public and the only stuff he could eat was"Finger food"apparently this is true i read several stories about this from folk who were close to him,i just have a big spoon

It's not what you've got it's the way that you use them ! Is that a spoonerism ! Come on Rich, a Sheffield boy, the heart of a once great industry making knifes and forks in stainless steel for the world, no wonder your an expert. :wink:

Chris