Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:46 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:48 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Another one of my top class Stockton Market purchases again.......only £3. Just forget how many class songs he produced and he seemed to be working with songwriters/bands who were on the top of their game eg The Ronettes 'Be my baby' and 'Baby I love you' and Ike and Tina Turner 'River Deep Mountain High (Greenwich/ Barry) and The Righteous Bros 'You've lost that lovin' feelin' (Mann/Weil). Just wondering what you thought about Spector and his Wall of Sound stuff?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:27 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

chris bartley wrote:
Another one of my top class Stockton Market purchases again.......only £3. Just forget how many class songs he produced and he seemed to be working with songwriters/bands who were on the top of their game eg The Ronettes 'Be my baby' and 'Baby I love you' and Ike and Tina Turner 'River Deep Mountain High (Greenwich/ Barry) and The Righteous Bros 'You've lost that lovin' feelin' (Mann/Weil). Just wondering what you thought about Spector and his Wall of Sound stuff?

Can't wait for this reply, a direct comparison to Joe Meeks adversary. I don't think Spector, although a great producer was quite....mmm... in the same sphere with regard to electronic goose pimply back of the neck hair raising ground breaking stuff. Don't you think Spectors stuff is a bit muddy, I don't think he could master the tape bouncing tape to tape technique and keep the clarity. Joe was very clever at that, keeping the lead instrument and vocal to the last dub. Spector wins to some extent in that he understood the "science" of music better and didn't produce a song a week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:06 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Hello mate. Thanks for such a detailed response. I know what you mean about a slight muddiness with Spector. I think what I love about Spectors records are the sheer ambition and the beauty of the songs..............maybe he does over reach sometimes but when it all comes together.........it is just beautiful. Personally I think the songs in the Spector canon give him the edge but there was no doubt Meek was a genius maverick and way ahead of his time. Have I set off a Meek v Spector stand off............wonder what everyone else thinks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:26 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

chris bartley wrote:
Hello mate. Thanks for such a detailed response. I know what you mean about a slight muddiness with Spector. I think what I love about Spectors records are the sheer ambition and the beauty of the songs..............maybe he does over reach sometimes but when it all comes together.........it is just beautiful. Personally I think the songs in the Spector canon give him the edge but there was no doubt Meek was a genius maverick and way ahead of his time. Have I set off a Meek v Spector stand off............wonder what everyone else thinks.

Not a stand off, I love this forum, best one going, although it's supposed to be about RH we seem to go off at a tangent in loads of areas and what's his name chips in how 8) is that ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:36 pm 
The Boss

i think both of them used the technology available to them at the time brilliantly,don't forget there is a massive difference between them,Spector layered musicians LIVE in one room,Meek layered them with studio wizardry......the results are awesome and way ahead of their time.they were both fucking fantastic..........and both totally mental

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:51 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Richard Hawley wrote:
i think both of them used the technology available to them at the time brilliantly,don't forget there is a massive difference between them,Spector layered musicians LIVE in one room,Meek layered them with studio wizardry......the results are awesome and way ahead of their time.they were both fucking fantastic..........and both totally mental

Rich, Would you consider a comment on the work of Giorgio Moroder he seems to have had a "Midas Touch" production wise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:25 am 
The Boss

don't like it.......shite