Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 7:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Writers Block any tips?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:18 am 
Too much time on my hands

Hi, I am going through a patch of writers block at the moment. I've got the music, even got some vocal melodies but I am well stuck on the lyrics. I only ever seem to be able to write lyrics from the heart. when I fall in love, the lyrics flow. when my GF left I got a whole album+ out of it! But at the moment everything is quite uneventful on that front. SO I don't seem to have anything to say. Got any tips? Anything you do to get the lyrical ideas? I just got a new valve preamp/pc interface so I'm loving getting down the sounds..open my mouth to sing ( I usually make em up on the spot then tidy them up and add later) but nothing! :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:35 am 
The Boss

live your life it will come

Post subject: reply to stuck for words
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:10 am 
Regular poster

richard, thoght that your reply to above sounded a bit dismissive, or trite.he could be full of shite or could be the next "you" though i doubt it, if he has that amount of unused angst :oops: :wink: :twisted:

my own son is 13 and would hate if he were dismissed for what he thinks is real.
we all know that the male ego/psyche is fragile. and i mean that in a non judgemental way.males need help.
you have 2 boys, richard, and you must know that society is tougher\on them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:23 am 
Hawleytastic!

I disagree, inspiration can't be forced. I have never been inspired to write music, much as I love it. Maybe one day, you never know.

Good luck Shambolic Charm I hope it all falls into place for you.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:44 am 
Hawleytastic!

brenda wrote:
richard, thoght that your reply to above sounded a bit dismissive, or trite.he could be full of shite or could be the next "you" though i doubt it, if he has that amount of unused angst :oops: :wink: :twisted:

Brenda, I didn't read it as dismissive. Short, yes. Dismissive, no. I think people can try too hard to be creative, and as Susie says inspiration cannot be forced.

Anyway, I'm not here to defend Mr H. He's ugly enough to fight his own battles and I'm sure he will clarify his comment if he feels he needs to.

But, having seen the encouragement he has given to other young musicians, I'd be surprised if he meant his words to be taken in any way other way than positively by Shambolic Charm.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:20 am 
Hawleytastic!

Shambolic Charm wrote:
Hi, I am going through a patch of writers block at the moment. I've got the music, even got some vocal melodies but I am well stuck on the lyrics. I only ever seem to be able to write lyrics from the heart. when I fall in love, the lyrics flow. when my GF left I got a whole album+ out of it! But at the moment everything is quite uneventful on that front. SO I don't seem to have anything to say. Got any tips? Anything you do to get the lyrical ideas? I just got a new valve preamp/pc interface so I'm loving getting down the sounds..open my mouth to sing ( I usually make em up on the spot then tidy them up and add later) but nothing! :(

Rob a bank, go on the run, be sick in a taxi, sit in the rain for an hour, catch pneumonia, ask the next woman you see to marry you...but preferably you'll have to chase her like in a film as sge constantly eludes you.......

Get some tackle (whatever that is) and you'll at least have block and tackle :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:31 am 
I.....Need.....A.....Life

I'm always impressed and amazed by songwriters.............and writers fullstop.
I just wouldn't know where to start,my dad's got this friend who is a writer......poetry etc....sometimes I go to a book launch, it's not really my thing.....toffs kissing each other....and loving the sound of their own voices.....but the poems are brilliant.
I was pretty surprised, as some of them are pretty racey.........I mean you wouldn't think it if you saw the author.....chain mail underwear,sensible courts and lace up to her neck......................

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:42 am 
Site Admin

I too did not read Richard's comment as dismissive, if you live your life then more inspiration will come, exactly as other songwriters have found.

Brenda, the body of your comment is about letting down the dreams of a youngster (you refer to your son and Richard's); listening to the songs on the playlist and hearing the depth of Shambolic's voice I think he is more adult and thus will understand Richard's response.

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:04 am 
Hawleytastic!

I agree with Denise - I'm not sure that you can put something as creative as songwriting into words or a formula even..................

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:06 pm 
Too much time on my hands

ha ha I'm very surprised the direction this thread went. I like the idea of being some young buck with life's lessons still to learn (maybe I could write a song about it! :)
What Richard said is what so many people are saying to me. I thought it was referring to the Muse arising when the time is right. I've been around the music biz for a long long time. SO I'm not a new light about to burst upon the scene. My music sales tick over but I'm not gonna get a country mansion out of it. that's ok by me.
I am just asking around for inspiration. Something to trigger an idea. It happens sometime - maybe someone unintentionally bowls an idea at me and it sets me off. When I was younger I had a lot of politics in my head and that gave me something else to write about but I can't be arsed with it these days - they all seem dodgy to me. So I just thought I'd see if anyone had any triggers.
I am also interested, Richard in whether you have been through any long periods of writers block. How you felt about it etc. ?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:48 pm 
I.....Need.....A.....Life

Shambolic Charm wrote:
I am well stuck on the lyrics.! :(

There's a little free booklet in The Guardian today....it's No 3 in a series of 8 (published daily) it's about great lyricists and today's is on MORRISSEY....................................

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:54 pm 
Flange cheese munching cockend

Have your heart ripped wide open in a horrible way. Suffer from a crippling depression. Drink heavily and take prescription drugs......Always works for me! :wink: :thumright:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:59 pm 
Scone hoarding gobshite

tis very true that some of the best lyrics ever are written when they are the most heartfelt.

im very keen on lyrics. it never ceases to amaze me that people can like a song and not have listened to the lyrics :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:13 pm 
The Boss

i stick by what i said it is no way dismissive you shower of shits it was meant sincerely and with experience,there is NO short term cure for writers block it comes from a lack of confidence and maybe things being a bit stale.it can actually be a positive cos you won't repeat yourself

live your life

it will come

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:24 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Richard Hawley wrote:
i stick by what i said it is no way dismissive you shower of shits

Excuse me? I thought most of those posts were defending you! :*: :wink: