Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:16 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:38 pm 
Hawley Groupie

I spent 6 weeks in LA in 1994 doing an album with Johnny Hallyday's son David. Stayed at the Wilshire Hotel in Beverley Hills, arrived jet lagged with record producer Paul O'Duffy, first person I met in the lift lived half a mile from me in Cheadle. Was a bit homesick, missing wife and first child who was only two at the time, so that lifted my spirits a bit. A lot, but not all of the time, I found it depressing. No-one walked anywhere, no real central place to go where you felt there was a sense of community.

On the plus side the people I met, generally at the hotel ,were very friendly as were people who worked in the shops and bars etc. Thought Rodeo Drive was a shite though, v false.

The strange thing for me was spending time with Hallyday, and his wife who was a top French model called Estelle. I don't think they understood what it is like to be skint as I was at the time. He had his very expensive Harley Davidson nicked, I said have you got it insured and he said,"possible but I can't be nothered with the paperwork so lets go and buy another one".

I spent a very frightening afternoon by his pool, flanked by his two very hard rottweillers, felt very exposed just wearing a pair of swimming trunks in their presence. Strange days.

Taliking of dogs, how can you tell that a dog is a man's best friend?..try locking your wife and your dog in the boot of your car for 2 hours and when you let them out see which one is happiest to see you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:46 pm 
Hawley Groupie

Hey Ricky.

Where abouts in Cheadle are you from ????

I'm from Cheadle Hulme.

Luckily I have brought my family over for this trip. The Missus is getting a bit homesick though. I'm not.

Miss my family back at the Hesketh though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:50 pm 
Hawley Groupie

Brought up in Cheadle Hulme, lived on Queens Rd, Councillor Lane end, went to Orrishmere Primary then Moseley Grammar. Lived in Edgeley for a bit, then Cheadle and now live in Gatley...I have travelled!!

What about you??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:51 pm 
Hawley Groupie

Oh yeah,The Hesketh!! bet you went to Woods Lane!. Good boozer,quite posh though, then there is the Church of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:57 pm 
Hawley Groupie

Yeah I went to Woods Lane (i'm 33) lived on Highfield rd (Mum still does)
Used to go in the Hesketh before they did it up an destroyed it.

Never went in the Church (old foggies pub) As long as you didn't drink in the Conway you usually got home without getting yer face smashed in.

Cheadle Hulme massive.

How old are you then ???

What a dump.

But our dump.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:06 am 
Hawley Groupie

48 I'm afraid!!...they just pulled the Conway down incidentally. Know what you mean about the Hesketh, more a food place now. The junction used to be great,that was a proper hard boozer.. think it might have been before your time, but a guy called Cyril used to drink in there with his goat.Health and saftey probably wouldn't allow that anymore.

I used to work at the Kenilworth, but again, that was in the 80s so prob b4 your time.

Sounds like you are doing well! keep the CH flag flying in LA. I'm off to bed now..cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:26 am 
Regular

STOTTY999 wrote:

Can you bring me some Dax Wax I can't find it anywhere. Oh and some Baked Beans. My son is going mental as he can't get his fix. One last thing what's happening in Corrie ????

Sweetie you can get Dax at Walgreen's! I know - I see it all the time, and my ex uses it! Either that or Murray's in the orange can.....

I went to a good chippy in Santa Monica once - Ye Olde something or other.....oh here it is! Ye Olde King's Head:

http://www.yeoldekingshead.com/

It was very good, and I've had my fair share of the real deal!

Don't despair - and make sure you get plenty of trips up to San Francisco....it's more....um.....real!? 8)

-Oscar Wilde

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:02 pm 
Hawley Groupie

Thanks for that SFglam. I love San Francisco it's an amazing and beautiful city. I told my mum years ago that (after the first time i went to the States) if I kicked the bucket I wanted my ashes poured off the golden gate bridge. She wasn't happy. Nevermind I can just have them poured over Cheadle Hulme train station.

Also look what I found in Long beach

I was looking for a barbers that can keep my barnet in check and everyone round here says this is the place to go if you want to keep your rockabilly style looking good.

Going to get my hair cut on Saturday. Hope they don't mess it up like some dickhead did the other week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:48 pm 
Regular

I have heard of that barbershop! Good luck with your chop!
8) Long Beach is pretty cool. I spent my birthday on the Queen Mary for their annual Halloween Haunted Ship festivities 2 years ago, it was COOL! if you're into that sorta thing.....:)

-Oscar Wilde

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:10 pm 
Hawley Groupie

But look it's called

HAWLEYWOOD.

I wonder if they like Richards tunes in there ???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:18 pm 
Regular

HAWLEYwood I know that's awesome! perhaps when you visit this weekend you can bring some discs with you!

I love that they did free hot towel shaves at the Sweeney Todd premiere!!!!!!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... id=2423686

-Oscar Wilde

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:42 am 
Regular

Speaking of California....

Will any of you Cats be at the Orange County Fair in Costa Mesa next Tuesday night? I'll be there with Stray Cats. They're doing a one-off with Joe Ely prior to the European Farewell Tour. I'd love to meet up with some Hawley fans for pints if any of you are fair-bound!

Don't take my rockabilly radio away,
T

ps-Just noticed that the Hawleywood Barber Shop is actually IN Costa Mesa....how friggin' weird is that?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:57 pm 
Hawley Groupie

Hey Tommy,

Wish I could get out there but I am working.

Maybe we could meet up for a cut and then get pissed out of are 'eads.

What do yo think is the best mexican beer ?????

I think it's pacifico

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:16 am 
Regular

TommyM wrote:
Speaking of California....

Will any of you Cats be at the Orange County Fair in Costa Mesa next Tuesday night? I'll be there with Stray Cats. They're doing a one-off with Joe Ely prior to the European Farewell Tour. I'd love to meet up with some Hawley fans for pints if any of you are fair-bound!

Don't take my rockabilly radio away,
T

ps-Just noticed that the Hawleywood Barber Shop is actually IN Costa Mesa....how friggin' weird is that?!

I WISH! If they are really faring us well, why don't they play some US dates!!!!! grrrr

Re: beer......Pacifico is awesome, but I'm more of a Corona girl myself. My Dad likes Pacifico cause you don't have to put limes in them. And that's why I DO like Corona! I also dig Tecate, or Negra Modelo - depending on the mood.

-Oscar Wilde

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:27 am 
Regular

Stotty,
Suppose Tecate is my favorite Mexican beer, if I have one. Much prefer a Budvar or Director's Bitter though.

SF,
Stay tuned. U.S. dates in 2009 are not out of the question. Never know what the future holds.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next