Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:11 am 
Hawleytastic!

nic_deane wrote:
Richard Hawley wrote:
i have occasionally but i am not a poet at all i can do it in song form but am too thick to get bionic pentameter and all that

May I take the liberty to dispute this? Anybody who can write 'I see a rainbow/I don't know where it goes' is a poet indeed. Nuff said (for now...)

And anyway, it's always the musical kids in the class who 'get' pentameter/ballad most deeply, because they feel it first & understand by sheer instinct. You can't write poems without that.

May I just say I agree with you Nic...........................you cant write poems without instinct.........................and Richard certainly has a gift for instinctive words....................

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:20 pm 
Regular

Hello Richard

First time posting so please be gentle with me.

Re conversations on poetry.You profess not to know about iambic pentameters and the like (or whatever they're called) but have you ever thought that dearth of these does not neccessarily mean you aren't writing poetry (of a sort)?

I am only commenting because I'm wondering if songs and poetry are interchangeable as it were.

Cheers for now

Phil King

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:53 pm 
Hawleytastic!

*WELCOME TO THE FORUM PHIL!!*....................and I know you meant the query for a certain Mr Hawley but thought I would just say that I think poetry and songs can turn out very interchangeable!!................

....................and Richard does have a beautiful way with words!! 8) :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:26 pm 
Regular

Cheers Jane

Just a general observation really......not necess. need Mr Hawley to answer specifically but would be interested.

Unfortunately there is rather too much snobbery in this country over poetry and such methinks. Most poetry although good (but often maligned) is unfortunately not as accessible as that in (good) song lyrics to the general public. Therefore pop music has an important job to keep the artform alive (pretentious sounding twaddle I know but I hope you see what I mean?!).

TTFN

Phil K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:58 pm 
Scone hoarding gobshite

Phil King wrote:
Most poetry although good (but often maligned) is unfortunately not as accessible as that in (good) song lyrics to the general public. Therefore pop music has an important job to keep the artform alive (pretentious sounding twaddle I know but I hope you see what I mean?!).

i dont think it is pretentious at all. tbh im not a great poetry reader but i am rather obsessed by lyrics and when they move you they are as worthy as any poem imho.

someone wrote me a poem once :shock: i was very touched at the time but can only remember one line of it now it was that long ago! ha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:27 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Phil King wrote:
Hello Richard

First time posting so please be gentle with me.

Re conversations on poetry.You profess not to know about iambic pentameters and the like (or whatever they're called) but have you ever thought that dearth of these does not neccessarily mean you aren't writing poetry (of a sort)?

I am only commenting because I'm wondering if songs and poetry are interchangeable as it were.

Cheers for now

Phil King

I'm leaving Lady Solitude behind me, you understand

pentameter is a 5 beat line (each beat is in bold above)-actually this line's in 'loose' pentameter, which the Boss seems to have done instinctively. All that i.p. is is a fancy latin way of naming something that happens quite naturally. Good poetry/songs have some kind of rhythm, even if it's irregular...sorry to be such a spod about this...

Elizabeth Bishop

http://nicholadeane.wordpress.com

Post subject: Poetry
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:40 pm 
Newcomer

Please don't be sorry, I think your explanations are fabulous, words can be so great and powerful.

(Mind, there's nothing like a good tune either!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:48 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

nic_deane wrote:
I teach ballads (poetry) and ballads (song) next to each other, Nick Cave (Lime Tree Arbour)

thats a beautiful song - i wish we had had teachers like you, i remmeber the selections for GCSE poetry being awful when we did it... and if you start taking the kids lady solitude thats even better - lucky little sods

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:49 pm 
Waitrose Warrior

good choice of song. They lyrics for the whole of the no more shall we part album are pure poetry too in my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:01 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

I agree with Nic & John, Lime Tree Arbour is a beautiful song, Nick Cave has a gift with words.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:13 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Johnfrom'south! wrote:
nic_deane wrote:
I teach ballads (poetry) and ballads (song) next to each other, Nick Cave (Lime Tree Arbour)

thats a beautiful song - i wish we had had teachers like you, i remmeber the selections for GCSE poetry being awful when we did it... and if you start taking the kids lady solitude thats even better - lucky little sods

Most of the material is actually not that bad (see Carol Ann Duffy on necrophilia, or the poem in which Shakespeare goes down on Ann Hathaway). Poems like that generally elicit a good response. No, it's teaching to the exam that makes it a bore:

STUDENT X: Miss, aren't we gonna do something fun today?
ME: Don't be daft! This is English-and your GCSE's in 4 weeks and we still haven't covered blah blah blah & blah....so let's do some annotation, eh?
CLASS: [groans]
ME: [groans on the inside]

Teaching Music & Poetry like that's a luxury (it shouldn't be) & this does my effing nut. Will stop now before this turns into War & Peace...

Elizabeth Bishop

http://nicholadeane.wordpress.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:59 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Wish we had teachers like you, nic!

The poetry we did for last year's exam was pretty dire. It didn't help that we had a painfully boring teacher, though :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:59 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Van Morrison's lyrics stand alone as poetry too; some of them are beautiful if you just read them aloud.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:05 pm 
Regular

'Lo Sunflower

Quote:
i dont think it is pretentious at all. tbh im not a great poetry reader but i am rather obsessed by lyrics and when they move you they are as worthy as any poem imho.

I think we've got our wires crossed and i think you will find me agree on song lyrics as being just as much a hotbed of poetry (Pretentious was a possible reference to my posting - hope not).

Nic Deane

Not a spod at all.

It's these intimidating terms that can be quite off putting when they're describing something quite basic I s'pose. But like you say good poetry/songs have them anyway without you needing to know what they are (altho' it is interesting to know about them anyway).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:29 pm 
Scone hoarding gobshite

Phil King wrote:
'Lo Sunflower

Quote:

I think we've got our wires crossed and i think you will find me agree on song lyrics as being just as much a hotbed of poetry (Pretentious was a possible reference to my posting - hope not).

yeah - i mean no, i didnt think you were bein pretentious. i was agreeing with you :? :*:

sorted. ha.