Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:32 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

(Apologies if there’ve been any similar topics before.)

It is almost a year since the first time I heard Richard's music.I always consider myself very lucky to have found such a talented and also down-to-earth artist and here's how I came to listen to his music.

There was a bookstore in my university where back issues of foreign magazines could be found.Usually none of them were about music.But one day in September 2006,I discovered a May issue of the Q magazine and bought it right away.I finished reading it in two or three days and among all the artists who appeared in the magazine and unknown to me,there was one that caught my eye,because he wore spectacles...I’d seen very few pop musicians wearing specs so that tiny image of him stayed in my head.However,during that time I had no ways to find out what his music sounded like so it was all kind of shelved.In the following year I was so busy with my studies that I barely had time for finding new music to listen to so I almost forgot all about that artist,even his name...Then in February last year when I was at home,I discovered by accident that a local channel was broadcasting a programme called London Live.In fact,I had lost interest in TV a long time before and I often spent my spare time reading books,listening to CDs or surfing the internet.But on that night my dad had to work on the computer and there was no book at hand so I turned on the TV for the first time in almost a week.I was so surprised to see the local channel was broadcasting this foreign programme called London Live where bands gave live performances.As I was still rubbing my eyes,a familiar face appeared,and I was like ‘oh my God isn’t he that bespectacled musician in the Q magazine?!’So I moved closer to the TV set and watched carefully.Well,needless to say I was so impressed by the song but I soon felt gutted to realise I didn’t catch his name.I thought ‘Damn I have to wait for a month to go back to uni and find the magazine’ But to my greatest delight,after the ad break,he went on to perform another song.This time I saw the name and wrote it down on a piece of paper.I was chuffed that I recognised him on TV at first sight.It was more than a year's time since I'd seen the small photo of him.The specs did help I think. 8)

So that’s how I heard Mr H’s music for the first time.Later I found out on the net that London Live was actually a programme showing performances from The Album Chart Show and the two songs broadcast were Coles Corner and Just Like the Rain.I guess if I hadn’t seen the Q magazine or my dad hadn’t been using the computer at the precise moment,I would probably still be totally unaware of Richard Hawley and have missed an entire world of wonderful music.

I didn’t know I would write so much and sorry if you found it boring to read but this experience means a lot to me,as does all of Mr H’s music.I suppose some of you have much more interesting stories to share than mine so why not talk about how you got into Richard’s music here. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:10 am 
Hawleytastic!

Its a lovely story.......................and you are right about those glasses!!!!!!........... 8)

My story ....................I heard 'HOTEL ROOM' on the radio in 2006.............it just fitted in with what I was going through at the time...................loved the music, the voice and made me 'Richard' crazy..................hence I began my fan worshipping and collection of cds.....................and so it continues!!!!........... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:11 am 
Site Admin

A friend from the Cousteau forum offered me a ticket to see Richard at the Scala in 2005 - I'd already heard the mini album so was more than happy to go along. Haven't looked back since.

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:15 am 
Hawleytastic!

I heard Jonathan Ross play Born Under a Bad Sign on the radio (a one in a million chance as I don't listen to the radio at home - this was in my mum's car) and made a note of the name - I googled when I got home and on the strength of that song I ordered a couple of albums from Amazon. Never looked back and my world has been distinctly rose-tinted ever since :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:54 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

It was a couple of years ago, a few days before Christmas. I visited my Brother and after an initial greeting, he said to me "sit down and have a listen to this". He played the 'Coles Corner' track really really loud. It was an almost bewitching experience, and one that has enhanced my musical taste forever, I think.

Whenever I hear this track I always think of Christmas. It wasn't long before I was delving into RH's back catologue and eagerly awaiting the release of Lady's Bridge.

Cheers, Steve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:46 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

jane wrote:
Its a lovely story.......................and you are right about those glasses!!!!!!........... 8)

My story ....................I heard 'HOTEL ROOM' on the radio in 2006.............it just fitted in with what I was going through at the time...................loved the music, the voice and made me 'Richard' crazy..................hence I began my fan worshipping and collection of cds.....................and so it continues!!!!........... :)

Thank you.:) I thought I wrote too much and was going to keep it for myself...But I'd like to see how you lot found Richard Hawley so I decided to post that anyway...

I'm still feeling quite regretful that after I read the Q,I didn't try my best to think of a way to find his music.I didn't have a laptop or computer in my dorm.Otherwise I could have become a fan in 2006 and recorded the London Live/Album Chart Show programme last February.I know the Coles Corner performance is available on YouTube but it's a very blurry video,so disappointing compared to the crystal-clear one I watched on TV.In the past year I've been watching that channel alot since I found they were repeating all the episodes ramdomly.I guess I've spent more time watching TV in the past year than I had in the previous three years :? ...Unfortunately this hasn't paid off.I contacted the staff at the channel recently to ask if they would repeat that episode but they said probably not...

I don't know if anyone has the video with a better quality than the YouTube one?It would be really highly appreciated if you could share it with me.I've been after that particular video for a whole year. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:18 pm 
Site Admin

Jessie - I do have some radio and tv performances from the past 2-3 years, PM me an address and next time I'm sending some stuff out I'll pop copies in the post to you.

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:56 pm 
Gimmie 6 !

i pressed play!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:03 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

First heard him in late 2007 (August, September?) when he was on Gideon Coe's show on 6 Music promoting the Lady's Bridge Album. I really liked the music, but he came across as a very amusing fella too. Telling the story about how the album was named Lady's Bridge and all the history that went with it.

Went out and bought the album after that show and wasn't disappointed. I now own all the albums and am making my way through the CD single stuff.

Was lucky enough to get tickets to the Live in London Gig a few months after that, and he renewed my faith in live music. He was superb! As he has been every time I've seen him live.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:10 pm 
Site Admin

I went into Tower Records one day drunk out of my mind looking for an Elvis Costello album,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:13 pm 
Regular

Here's my very long story:

http://www.richardhawleyforum.co.uk/vie ... hp?t=11977

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:30 pm 
Flange cheese munching cockend

Early 2003 and a reprobate off here called 'SheffieldSean' pointed me in the direction of the man......the rest is history and will be featured in my full length documentary......."Richard Hawley and his nutjob following' :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:07 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Dawoodcock wrote:
Jessie - I do have some radio and tv performances from the past 2-3 years, PM me an address and next time I'm sending some stuff out I'll pop copies in the post to you.

Ooooh that's so kind of you...Huge thanks!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:42 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Hadn't heard any of the solo stuff till Coles Corner not knowing really what to expect but i played it to death in the shop when it came out, much to disgust of the staff tho the customers liked it & sold a few copies on the back of it. Needless to say the back catalogue was bought & another Hawleyite was born :wink: Using my methods of persuasion the hubby is now as much a fan of his Hawliness as i am. Now when i play any Hawley album at work it is met by groans of not again :!: :!: Some people have no taste :oops:

& let the dreams come softly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:51 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I heard 'The Ocean' on one of those free CDs that you get with music magazines (I think it was the Word) in 2006 - then went to the gig at Leeds City Varieties ... haven't looked back!