All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The Joy Of The Single
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:54 pm 
Regular poster

Richard appears in this (as ever) excellent BBC4 documentary:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... he_Single/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:57 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Great TV - infectious enthusiasm - Hugo Montenegro & Orchestra - Theme to The Good The Bad & The Ugly - RCA Victor - 7/6d - E. A. Bagotts Hardware Store - Droitwich Spa 1967 [ish] didn't feature tho' 8)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:28 am 
Hawleytastic!

Skweeze me, Pleeze me - Slade - Polydor, red sleeve, Woolworths, Biddulph, 1973 - 45p.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:32 am 
Too much time on my hands

Mine was on there - The Hollies - look through any window.

I get the impression Richard would have talked "records" for the whole show given the chance :*:
BBC at its best.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:59 am 
Resident YouTube tech guru

Perfect programme. I'd sit for hours on end playing the same single over & over again, on the Dansette, just like they said. I refused to buy anything current (late '70s/early '80s) only buying secondhand singles from the monthly record fair at the local YMCA, and from the market. My rule was ''Nothing after 1967''. I'd sit in the dark, with a torch perched under the lid of the Dansette, watching the record turning & smelling the warm dusty valves. If you could bottle that moment..... :compress:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:56 am 
Hawleytastic!

Looks like 67 was actually 68 - anyway talkin' of B sides here it is - I played it more than the A side of the theme to The Good The Bad and The Ugly in the end.

Intro now sounds a bit dodgy - but still love it - and all in 2.34.

Now off to find Jigsaw Puzzle Blues the B side to my second single purchase!

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:52 pm 
Regular poster

It was an excellent documentary - the sort of thing BBC4 does so well. The enthusiasm of all the interviewees really came through particularly Messrs H (Hawley and Holder). Give them a series on BBC4!! :D I also liked Jimmy Webb's story about praying to work with Glen Campbell. I'd forgotten about the thrill of buying a 7" single and getting it home to play, putting needle to vinyl and the excitement of what emerged from the speaker. There's just not the same feeling in buying a CD or downloading even if the music is great.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:02 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Was good to see Mr H pop up in the programme last night and fascinating to hear the enthusiasm and passion everyone had. Can't beat the ritual of lowering a needle onto a shiny new piece of vinyl for the first time and that hiss and crackle before the music bursts out of the speaker (although I can't remember when I last did it :cry: ).

A CD's not bad but a file on a computer just doesn't measure up in terms of touch it, feel it, see it, smell it and hear it.

Is it an age and nostalgia thing though - do younger folk get a similar thrill watching that bar move across the screen as they download a track?

Must admit I love the convenience of having all my music on a portable little thing that plugs into the car stereo and can accompany me on trains and in hotels but sometimes wonder if that constant and instant accessibility somehow detracts from and devalues the incredible art that is music.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:37 am 
Site Admin

What is it apart from the sound, the sleeves with the great artwork, the needle hitting the groove, but maybe the fact that its a process getting up and taking something tangible out other than a shiny little disc and the process of playing it too maybe. Just set up my rig again after having it and my vinyl in storage for a while and getting my player repaired. Almost forgot what I was missing. On the other hand the comfort of having 10000 songs to take with you wherever blows my mind and is an amazing thing, I'll forget my mobile phone and not go back for it but my MP3 player Nahh. Both can go hand in hand I guess old and new. One of the great things about a single vinyl or otherwise which I loved was looking forward to the the b-side(s) depending on format which you probably wouldn't have got to hear in advance. Fuck I sound like I'm 70.

For where you can't go
Mustang horses, champagne glasses
Anything frail anything wild
It's the price of living motion, what's beautiful is broken
And grace is just the measure of a fall.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:53 am 
The Boss

I use vinyl,CDs and the iPod I just don't download music because in this one respect at least.......I'm not a mug chimp

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:57 am 
Site Admin

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:58 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Caught this on Iplayer this morning. What a brilliant programme - I do love BBC4 on Friday nights!

I just wish I'd managed to keep hold of my all my vinyl singles but they disappeared over the years from a combination of lending them out and not getting them back and living abroad. I still have a few singles (along with some old 78s) that I inherited from my parents that I can't bear to part with. I vividly remember buying my first two singles - 'You really got me' by the Kinks and 'Go now' by the Moody Blues with my first wage when I got a Saturday job. I played 'You really got me' over and over with the arm back on the record player - must have driven my parents up the wall!

As a few people said on the programme one of the best things about singles was discovering what was on the 'B' sides - which sometimes became the 'A' sides, didn't they ...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:27 am 
Newcomer

Sadly what could have been a great programme was ruined for me by the built in sexism of the BBC.

Male commentators, that had vinyl, love vinyl, collectors, spoke knowledgeably whilst clips of women were shown dancing as eye candy. Shocking, or not if you know the BBC.

When they did drag a female on from somewhere, they weren't collectors or djs or producers but a journo & a poet, 1 who didn't feel comfortable in record shops & one whose boyfriend brought her a single. FFS :evil:

I found what Pete Waterman said interesting, of how his singles vastly outnumber LPs.

I thought I would have been the same...

70's radio
80's ditto & buying pop singles
90's disco & house vinyl 12s & lps
00's digital downloads & cheap comps

So 12/lps vastly outnumber singles.

Yet they didn't have 1 female vinyl commentator dreadful.

Richard, great, my blues/rnr is mainly from the last 5 years so on my computer as so old, but I might just see which ones I can get on 7" x

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:37 am 
Too much time on my hands

common girl wrote:
Sadly what could have been a great programme was ruined for me by the built in sexism of the BBC.

Male commentators, that had vinyl, love vinyl, collectors, spoke knowledgeably whilst clips of women were shown dancing as eye candy. Shocking, or not if you know the BBC.

When they did drag a female on from somewhere, they weren't collectors or djs or producers but a journo & a poet, 1 who didn't feel comfortable in record shops & one whose boyfriend brought her a single. FFS :evil:

x

Watched this last night and noticed the lack of females!

It struck me how sad it is that subsequent generations won't feel the joy of physically going to buy a single and holding it in their hands on the release day...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:12 pm 
Hawleytastic!

common girl wrote:

When they did drag a female on from somewhere, they weren't collectors or djs or producers but a journo & a poet, 1 who didn't feel comfortable in record shops & one whose boyfriend brought her a single. FFS

Strange, I didn't even notice that. I was just interested in what they were saying (and the music in the background) and didn't attribute any of their comments to their gender or whether they were a dj/producer/collector or whatever ..... I found Miranda Sawyer's contribution interesting ... maybe it's my age or something :?