Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:41 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Is it just me or do we all go 'YEEEEEEEHAAAAAR' when young Mr Hawley graces the TV...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:42 pm 
Newcomer

Well the men outnumbered women 4/5 to 1.

They knew it was out & shoved this clip of Norah Jones in near the end to readress balance - who starts with "I don't like singles" or something. Was excruciating embarrassingly bad.

But just represents the stereotypes BBC4 & 6music deal in. Sad x

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:33 pm 
Hawleytastic!

:roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:19 pm 
Newcomer

This reminded me of that programme.

The different ways in which men & women are portrayed.

The program was demeaning to women, as none of the women they chose were involved in the subject like the men.

There were no women with vinyl.

No female DJs.

former pink lady, if thats an eye roll of indifference & put down, I'm sure others tutted at Rosa Parks & Emmeline Pankhurst. I'd rather speak about issues of sexism when they occur than be such a person.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/no ... dia-page-3

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:35 pm 
Site Admin

Knowing Former Pink Lady well, I suspect the rolling eyes are intended to be in agreement with you.

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:41 pm 
Newcomer

Well I'd like to hope so but you'd never know :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:03 pm 
Newcomer

You expect the sun to be sexist & shoddy.

But I guess due to all its proclamations you expect better from the BBC.

I did enjoy the footage of Richard & Fatboy with their singles yet without any women with vinyl I was left exasperated.

Might do a youtube clip & send it to the bbc x

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:54 am 
Hawleytastic!

Maybe it's a case of looking a bit harder - female collectors of vinyl 45's can't be that hard to find.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:02 am 
Newcomer

Exactly.

But even before that they need to be aware that what they are doing is outdated and just not acceptable today.

I set up some female dj groups, just in london almost 1000 members, so I'm surrounded by women & vinyl.

Its just not recognised by the BBC.

Thanks & to boltonlass2 x

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:14 am 
Newcomer

I did actually contact 6music before tho, as if you look at their schedule, from sunday lunch to saturday morning, the only female is 1 Lauren Lavern, the lads lass, that we prob like 2.

The male station controller had background in sports, so his thinking for putting women on saturday is that the men are watching football & sunday morning as sleeping off saturday night.

Rest of the schedule is male.

Oh they say its not an issue.

So getting them to recognise it, let alone do anything about it, feels, well, head against brick wall x

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:29 am 
The Boss

I read somewhere the other day that in the tables for parliamentary and political representation in the world for women the UK came 56th...........behind Afghanistan and Iran..........that's truly appalling,aren't"we"trying to export democracy over there?..........my wife and mum worked side by side doing the same job as they're fellow male colleagues and got paid a shit load less they were in nursing.......it's wrong

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:49 pm 
Newcomer

Yeah I saw that & its still the same re pay. Well for DJ'ing being self-employed there is no minimum wage just what you are prepared to accept, which is why I have now switched to making images for music rather than playing the songs, even tho my musical knowledge spans most of the last century.

For the past few years theres usually only 1 female DJ in the industry Top 100. When that started in the 90's there were 10-15. So whilst we are told things are getting better, the reality is somewhat different & the double whammy is thats not seen as important.

Like similar to this programme, in the press 84% of lead story quotes are from men & what I saw today "BBC News at Ten recorded its worst ever score on Thursday 25 October, when it featured 13 male experts and one female expert" similar even for womens issues too.

Newsnight are just as bad, recently they said they couldn't find a female commentator, so there was a quick ask on Twitter & lots of appropriate women said yes.

There needs to be quotas to end this men employing men, but the BBC refused to sign up to a voluntary attempt at 30% & this programme would have failed that too x

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:11 pm 
Newcomer

Funny, this is in response to the twitter thing I mentioned.

http://thewomensroom.org.uk/about-us/

I'm now listed,

http://thewomensroom.org.uk/contact/tanya-love/

Lets hope the BBC put in a bit more effort, as this programme could have been much better (*)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:12 am 
The Boss

i sincerely wish you the best of luck its important this issue is discussed and not ignored thanks for sharing your views on our forum,my daughter is as passionate as you and i and of course all of us on here about music and i would hate the fact she is a woman to hinder her in her life its just total neandertthal b"""""S i quite frankly am sick of race,gender,age and physical ability being somehow a hinderance to a persons progress in their field of expertise,love and passion......its 2012 for f"":s sake surely we should have worked it all out by now? :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:58 am 
Newcomer

I know I thought we had back in the 90's! I felt the progression. It was cool.

Now my tranny friends are being attacked in the streets again, in London! My exact thought, I thought this was sorted. Its like reliving the 80's with Tories & bigotry.

Thanks, my lil group will be 5 next year, its been interesting to see, there are a couple getting good gigs, but they are the ones that conform to this strict robo-fierceness. Are really strong, show no weakness, pose in pants, thin, white, heeled. Whilst males have always been & still are in jeans & t-shirt.

I feel done, I can't be arsed with that, tho if my arts council funding gets approved will be doing a showcase next year, as would like to break that down, & have people accepted for what they bring, how it was meant to be rather than how much they conform to a set of rules that are so tight its impossible to just be.

Love <*>