Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:46 pm 
Newcomer

I'm running a Twitter account (https://twitter.com/lowerrefectSU) which is the dying thoughts of Sheffield's Lower Refectory as the bulldozers move in alongside links to music and stories from the space. Been doing some research reading old copies of Darts and found this great photograph of Richard accompanying a Treebound Story review in the 5th March 1986 edition.

If anyone has any memories of this or any other gigs in the Lower Refectory (or Maze, or Park etc) feel free to share them. I missed the Lower Refectory by just a year when I came to Sheffield but between the glass walls and sweaty ceiling it sounds like an experience.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:05 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Loving the Trevor Horns'. Bet they were blue...x

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:08 am 
The Boss

No tortoise shell sarky arse.....ah my Dad bought me that guitar from his redundancy money it got stolen I would dearly love to get it back......I remember that gig it was absolutely rammed.......I went to see the smiths and hurrah in the lower refec amongst many other bands for about 50p but missed them as Erm :oops: I met a girl and we went under the stairs Instead while the band were on for some canoodling

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:18 pm 
Newcomer

Thanks Richard and Helen. I wondered if there might be a story or two! The stairwell is just about the only bit of that part of the union that's still completely original - it's my favourite.

I think The Smiths played twice at the University. One of them's on Youtube cos I've tweeted it already - http://youtu.be/Yd2x6jrBHYE

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:44 pm 
Hawley Groupie

spent an unhealthy amount of time in the lower refec, but forgotten most of it.. saw stone roses in the maze, (which was a small coffee & bun bar during the day); can remember ian brown slagging off the posters (a felt-tip drawn 'stoned' sort of face - he had a point), and a very small but very excitable mosh-pit. Also la's in there (a couple of times I think), & happening men (pre-longpigs crispin hunt).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:00 pm 
Newcomer

Ha! Genius Sheffield Illustrator (and Hawley gig poster designer) Martin Bedford tells a great story about seeing The Pogues at the Leadmill in the eighties and having a drink with Shane afterwards which was going well until he presented Ireland's poet laureate with a copy of the poster he created for the gig. This one -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:41 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Apparently, Shane's getting his teeth fixed so he can become an actor...

http://www.nme.com/news/the-pogues/70254

x

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:07 pm 
Hawley Groupie

Many many memories (mainly) watching and (occasionally) playing at the Maze Bar. Played at the last ever gig to be staged at the Maze back in 1991. Saw Birdland, Inspiral Carpets, Strangelove, That Petrol Emotion, The Shamen, Happy Mondays, SPK, Deathtrash and The Fall to name but a few gigs there over the three venues. Here's a video of my old band playing the Maze back in 1990....