Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:33 pm 
Regular

The Joy of the Guitar Riff.........What a load of CRAP.
I sat down to watch this expecting something interesting and nostalgic and, as it was the BBC (albeit BBC4), something well made and representative of the subject.
First 20 mins or so were good - focusing on the origins of the Guitar Riff with Chuck Berry and contributions from Hank Marvin, Dave Davis, Tony Iomi, Brian may and of course Richard Hawley. BUT then The Runaways???? What was all that about. I've heard of Joan Jet but none of the the other members of a band that, lets be honest, not many people will of heard of and even fewer will have any of their records. What are they doing on a programme about Guitar Riffs?
And it didn't end there because then we were treated to opinions and comments about the lack of respect and recognition of women in rock music. Without sounding misogynistic, there were no female bands or guitarists in the 50's 60's or 70's who could be considered as influences in the development of the guitar riff. Where this programme went then is completely baffling....straight into the disco funk of Nile Rogers, a bit on Beat It and Michael Jackson and some on Johnny Marr and The Smiths. Even more baffling was the bit on Vampire Weekend. It got back on track with Nirvana and The White Stripes, there was a little more input from RH and then it ended.
I know that in a programme like this you cannot hope to mention every guitarist and every guitar riff. But there was no mention of Jimi Hendrix or Eric Clapton, for example, and even fewer examples of guitar riffs where the 70's and 80's were almost completely ignored.
So whatever the BBC's intentions were with this programme it didn't do what it said on the tin and it didn't fill me with the Joy of the Guitar Riff. Sorry Richard.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:23 pm 
The Boss

No need to apologise to me mate I haven't seen the show so it would be unfair to comment all I can say is I did about three hours of filming,I talked about and played riffs from some of my fave players like Bo Diddley,Chuck Berry,Duane Eddy,Scotty Moore,Grady Martin,The Velvet Underground,MC5,The Stooges,Link Wray,Joy Division,the Undertones and the Sex Pistols I can't help it if they edit all that out but by the sounds of it I think I will avoid watching it thanks for the tip

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:17 pm 
Hawleytastic!

It's impossible to cover everything in the one programme - probably better as a series - covering a period in time per show - but I doubt that would have the level of appeal required to make it on the BBC4 schedule.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:39 pm 
The Boss

I think they just tried to cram as much in as poss and all opinions are subjective anyway maybe the director just covered what they thought were key and important,for my two penn'orth I just hope it might inspire some young folks

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:54 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I actually thought it was really interesting. Particularly liked the bits about Chuck Berry and Link Wray. Great to see Dave Davis and most of all Richard. Thought it was well put together and very nicely shot. Fair point about Jimi Hendrix. Would have liked it to include more Pre rock n roll stuff. Jimmy Reed, Charlie Patton...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:51 pm 
Regular

Quote:
..I talked about and played riffs from some of my fave players like Bo Diddley,Chuck Berry,Duane Eddy,Scotty Moore,Grady Martin,The Velvet Underground,MC5,The Stooges,Link Wray,Joy Division,the Undertones and the Sex Pistols

Of these I think that only Chuck Berry and Link Wray were mentioned.
Much emphasis, though, on The Runaways. I'm surprised that they are seldom mentioned when the subject of influential guitarists comes up :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:58 am 
Resident YouTube tech guru

As has been said, the first 20 minutes were great, but as soon as the disco funk bit came up I had to switch off.

Interesting though to hear that Link Wray's Rumble was banned in America for being, I don't know actually, too dark, dirty & dngerous sounding I guess. And the same with Black Sabbath's use of ''the devil's chord''. Intriguing that sounds made on a guitar can have that sort of effect on people - I'd like to hear a scientists' explanation of this, because those two examples certainly do do something to you when you hear them, don't they.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:48 am 
The Boss

The use of a flattened fifth in any musical composition was banned by....I seem to remember....the Borgias it was considered to be satanic in some way.....it is deployed to great effect by Jimi Hendrix on the intro to Purple Haze also bands like the Pixies use it a lot I have used it on lots of stuff mostly in the Lonpigs and I use it a bit on the last album

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:01 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

I also found the programme somewhat disappointing. After a good start, featuring early blues/pop/rock guitar riffs from the likes of Chuck Berry and Hank Marvin, the content meandered all over the place, only occasionally returning to titled topic. As said above, I can also bring to mind a number of artists who pioneered great guitar riffs - yet given no credence by this programme.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:52 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I was going to suggest a top 100 guitar riffs style programme - but rather than the riff with most votes being number 1 they become number 100 - that way all the 'usual' stuff is covered in the first half hour and the show should / would get more interesting as the viewer hopefully tunes into amazing riffs that most folks have never come across.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:09 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Poppy Dog wrote:
I was going to suggest a top 100 guitar riffs style programme - but rather than the riff with most votes being number 1 they become number 100 - that way all the 'usual' stuff is covered in the first half hour and the show should / would get more interesting as the viewer hopefully tunes into amazing riffs that most folks have never come across.

Post your Top 3 on here...........trouble is, I think my top 3 are all Radiohead!

I'll have a think. :eh?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:52 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Would have liked to have seen Richard's comments on Joy Division. Bernard Sumner's playing is really original and not very often talked about. I think he also used to build his own synths and stuff, quite an inventive guy. I remember hearing a story about him and his wife inviting Kraftwerk round to their house for a traditional Sunday dinner, which is quite a funny image.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:57 pm 
The Boss

Bernard's playing is great,to the point and just what the song needs a rare talent

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:27 pm 
Regular

Poppy Dog wrote:

Radio2 are doing a more conventional version of your novel suggestion.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/3CPpg0bvRvy4kVLtv49MyD6/radio-2-top-100-greatest-guitar-riffs-vote

And for the benefit of those who are unsure " .....For the purpose of this vote a guitar riff has been defined as 'the main hook of a song and must be played principally by a guitar.'..." :wink:

Oh and I can't see any Runaways or Joan Jet in their selections :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:47 am 
Hawleytastic!

Joan Jett and The Blackhearts was hiding in there.

I have a sentimental attachment to the 70's - so Free All Right Now would get my vote - but if Magazine Shot By Both Sides was listed things may be different..