Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:31 pm 
Newcomer

Hi Richard,

We are a small group of second year Archaeology undergraduates from the University of Sheffield who are currently undertaking an evaluation of the historic environment at Skye Edge which will also include a study of the area's social geography (eg. songs, literature and theatre). With this in mind, we wondered whether you could possibly answer a few questions for us on your thoughts and feelings on the area and perhaps allow us to advertise our activities within this forum to any local Hawleyites who are also interested in the area's history?

As a group we believe that Skye Edge has historically had a rough deal from the press and authorities and seek to challenge Sheffield City Council's green spaces initiative which states that every area of the city will have green spaces of exceptional quality and value. When comparing Skye Edge to similar areas within the city (eg. Wincobank) this is simply not true and our evaluation will also include a proposal which would transform the area in line with heritage guidelines.

Best wishes,

Team Skye Edge

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:47 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

I look forward to reading about your work, I know little about the history of the area except a few nuggets from RH, and would be interested to see any plans for improvements. It does have a rough press (not helped by the cruel killing of that poor little dog) but I have found it very peaceful, certainly on my road, since I moved here 2 years ago.

I live 2 mins walk from the green space, it's a lovely area except for some idiots from the Wybourn estate who spoil it sometimes with their dirt bikes. Saying that it's nice to see the number of dog walkers enjoying the area and the pitch being used in summer.

(*)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:06 pm 
The Boss

What killing of a little dog?......actually don't tell me a close elderly relative had her lovely dog Sweepee literally ripped apart in front of her recently by some fuck wits with a pit bull and the council and police did NOTHING......I was so angry.....still am......!!.....and my lovely relative is still in bits months after....!!

As for Sky edge......I don't call it"Skye"edge....the E was added to make it look better I heard....get in touch with my manager at grahamwrench@googlemail.com and we will see.....I'm busy with a load of projects at the mo,I'm in Sheff a bit but away mostly but in theory yeah ok

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:17 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Richard you don't want to know about the dog, it's a very sad story, makes me want to cry every time I pass the little memorial that's up there.

Sorry to hear about Sweepee - I feel for your family - the same thing happened with my brother's cat, the dog's owner wasn't bothered one bit and nothing was done by the authorities either. :(

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:02 pm 
Newcomer

I would like to know who that 28 year old man was / is, how someone could do that to the poor dog makes you lose faith in mankind,god know what that poor creature was thinking and feeling.
Fair play for everyone who attended the vigil though nice touch.
That fellas mum and dad must be so proud, actually they prolly couldn't give a toss.
Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:26 pm 
Newcomer

Thanks Boss,

You answered one of our questions already as we were going to ask whether you had dropped the "e" in Sky to revert back to the original spelling. We'll forward our other questions to your manager soon.

We did hear about the dog (it was one of the first thing's we found during our history search and something quite a few people mentioned to us during interview) but like everything else to do with Sky Edge the area gets the blame - i mean how many other people in the area own and treat dogs the right way and did the person who did this actually come from the locality?

Best wishes,

TSE