Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:34 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Hey there, Richard. I'm brand new to your forum, but have been enjoying reading it for a bit--nice place you have here. I'm loving the books and music threads so much. Wanted to pop in and chat a little about this and that, and to thank you for being you. You are a favorite, and I regularly kick myself for only getting on the train about five years ago. How the hell did you get by me? But I finally worked my way through your catalog, so at least in that respect, I have gotten my act together. :)

About peoples' favorite music: we know that some of it we play only once in a while, some of it never goes out of frequent rotation, and some of it has become such a part of us that it's just always there, on our permanent mental turntables. Of all the music I love (and I love a whole lot), I can count on my fingers the number of artists who do that for me, and guess what, you're one of them. Yay you, Merry fucking Christmas. :) What you sing about--love, place, time, history, compassion, humor, longing, community, family--these are truly all the best things, never to be taken for granted. So, big ups to you for going right at that shit head on.

At this juncture, I feel I should state that yes; I am aware that immense, heaping praise makes you want to blind yourself or crawl in a hole or something. While this near-crippling modesty is a significant part of your charm, them's the breaks, sunshine. You stop being awesome, I'll stop making you cringe--until then, this is what's happening. Surely the unspeakable horror that is this post will end eventually. But I won't lie: it's gonna be a rough one. Hold fast, deep breaths, and try to focus in, I guess? I don't know what to tell you.

By the way, it has only now struck me that I am a 45-year-old adult human being, who nonetheless is writing what boils down to be a fan letter...because apparently, sometimes in middle age, your mind just snaps. But I'm sure it'll all be fine; it's not like I'm rambling away in a public forum, where just anyone can read--oh wait. :shock:

Whatever, I just figured that since you give so much of yourself, I could certainly string together a few words for you, and/or pull a few pints for you. I will wait while you put your drinking pants on. Minor hitch: I'm stateside, and my arms are too short to hand you the glass. This post will have to do.

Anyway. We've all got a lot of sludge to wade through. You do, I do, everyone here does. But it's been my experience that truthful, face-value music is one of the most cathartic gifts we can give ourselves. It cracks our poor hearts wide open and lets all that healing sunlight in. To that end, one of the best things about what you're doing is simply the fact that you're doing it at all--a gift in itself. Even though you've been at the solo game for some time now, please know that we are still so glad you decided to double down and make it happen. Especially those of us who are branching out into the second, or even third, acts of our lives; tackling new projects, taking different paths. Can I get a witness? What's up; we've all seen that movie. I think that folks like us can particularly appreciate on many levels the risk and courage it takes to embark upon unknown territory. And Richard, I'd say your risks have paid off in spades. Because by this time, you must certainly know that your songs are safe harbor for many people; a welcome lighthouse in a dense fog of utter crap.

You're writing powerful stuff that makes me wonder, reflect, think VERY hard, squeeze my sweetie a little tighter...or, well, a lot tighter. Your songs make me angry. Grateful. Distraught. Joyful. They elevate and destroy, they are honest and satisfying, and I can truly say they make me happy; even the nearly-unbearable ones that rip out my insides. Sometimes, somehow? They manage to do all of those things at once. Personally, I think that sort of magical loveliness warrants a long-distance fist-bump, so boom: there you go.

Oh how cute, you thought I was done, like, three paragraphs ago! Awww. Okay, one last push. You got this, buddy!

What's that, new album, you say? Oh why yes let's do talk about next tour because reasons. I hope you know that we American fans truly understand that an extended jaunt here is an unwieldy proposition, fraught with a variety of huge stumbling blocks. But we are a selfish and greedy bunch, and so must ask for a little visit anyway. It would be a massive treat--I know you are missed, and those of us who are late to the party would love to see your knockout band here. Do you think there are enough of us to come for just a very few dates? (The answer is yes.) It doesn't matter where
(-->***CHICAGO.***<--). Go ahead, charge us a momojillion dollars; we'll hold a giant bake sale, no problem.

Or, and I'm just spitballing here--how about as many motherfucking guaranteed sold-out nights as you can handle, in the exclusive and intimate setting of my elegant backyard, and then you guys just kind of, like...send for all your shit, and your Hendo's, and the entire city of Sheffield, and everyone and everything that you love, stay here forever, and become our insanely-beloved national house band? What I'm saying is, there are options. Noodle on it and get back to me so I can make up the guest room.

Richard, dear. You're an upstanding kind of guy, and that's not the least reason I dig your style; genuine people are priceless these days. Remarkably, despite everything, there are still plenty of decent souls out there who help make this world go round. That's no joke. And look at you, pouring everything into this music which you so generously share with us--that's some gigantic positivity you're putting out there. Anything any of us does that can brighten someone else's day, even for a moment, is a huge victory over darkness. And you are definitely managing that.

Well! We've come to the end of this white-knuckle hellride (new band name) at last. Was that really so hard? Oh god please wake up. My best to you always, for all you do, all you are, and all that's yet to come--may you go on happily creating and doing what you love for a good long time yet. Once again, major props and big love from this humble Midwestern correspondent. To sum up: CHICAGO (I promise not to harangue you about this, but look for me to bring it up again; I am so sorry wait no I am absolutely 100% not). Take care of you, and I'll see you around. :) xo Myra

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:36 am 
Hawleytastic!

"sometimes in middle age, your mind just snaps" welcome to the club ..>

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:33 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Ha! Why thank you, Poppy, this indeed is a distinguished group, and I am proud to be losing my higher faculties alongside such company. :) I have you to thank, actually, for your avatar-uploading wisdom. The lovely Denise was very helpful to me with a registering glitch, and she also passed along your tips for picture-resizing, etc. when I was having a hiccup with that. Much obliged to you both!

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:32 am 
Hawleytastic!

Bonjour! Reading your 'hello' I think you'll fit in very well! :P Welcome. ..>

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:40 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Merci! Oh, Egg, you have no idea how hard I'm trying right now to not make a "Hmmm, which one of us is more cracked?" joke WHOOPS TOO LATE :P heehee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:59 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Uh...

Could be maybe that my initial greeting/introduction/thoughts here seemed way weird or or overwrought...thoroughly unintentional. :| I only wanted to share a little genuine love and cheer. Fatally embarrassed, sorry. I got a little excited. It happens! :roll: xo ..>