Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Beatles question
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:14 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Hi Mr. H, hope 2016 is treating you well so far. Been listening to a lot of Beatles tonight (from Liverpool, so pretty standard :wink: ). It just got me thinking, a lot of your great musical loves/heroes seem to be pre-Beatles, people they would have revered and taken influence from themselves. I guess I was just wondering what your opinion of the fabs is, do you listen to them much, any favourite album or era etc, and do you think they've directly influenced your songwriting/playing much? Oh and who's your favourite Beatle, musically speaking? Apologies if you've been asked that in interviews before, but I can't find anything online.

Thanks as always for coming on here and talking to us plebs, means an awful lot. Roll on York! Any chance of playing the nights are cold? :D 8)

Post subject: Re: Beatles question
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:21 am 
The Boss

Firstly your not a pleb,if you are then I am too....!

Love the Beatles,Strawberry Fields is my fave period,I am the Walrus,Peppers,Magical Mystery tour and even the Yellow submarine cartoon film....always pushing and searching that's what makes them so great.....if I had to pick a fave choon it'd be"Its all too much"....I remember watching yellow submarine as a boy and being totally overwhelmed by that finale it actually moves me still it's really beautiful. It reinforced my upbringing...that love and people can be great not just shitty and destructive and that for a pop group is pretty awesome innit?.....your right when you say I am into the music that deeply influenced them(and me)....that comes from my Dad I was reared on a fabulous mans extensive and deep knowledge of that music,Dad got so far in those pre internet days it's incredible really information was so rare even in the 70's and 80's I've taken it a lot further I guess pre and post Internet and it's a real joy for me discovering ace choons.... Dads band that he played with alongside my Mum and my Auntie Jean in the late 50's/very early 60's"The Whirlwinds"they played along side the Beatles at a BBC talent contest in Manchester in the very early 60's,the Beatles won and the Whirlwinds came 2nd....dad had just bought the Smokestack lightning Howling wolf EP and they were very interested in it there's a photo somewhere of me Dad and Lennon posing with the EP I think mums got it..he went to Hambug too as I did many years later he said it was"f****n mental".....no fave Beatle every temple needs all its pillars to stand

Never been asked anything about the Beatles before so nice one sir ..> I love em great band....wish I could put some pictures up but I haven't a clue how to do it

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:38 am 
Site Admin

Yellow Submarine Beatles

Image Image

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:41 am 
Site Admin

The era I first encountered them was the earlier music, my lovely granddad bought me my first album and it was Please Please Me (he had the sense to start my collection in chronological order).

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:27 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Richard Hawley wrote:
if I had to pick a fave choon it'd be"Its all too much"....

An unusual choice, I'd say, but a great song, and much underrated. I was a lot into it when I first heard it; it is the sort of song that you cannot stop listening to once and again. Especially the intro before the singing starts (by the way, am I the only one who is reminded of this song when listening to the beginning of Michael Jackson's 'Black or White'?). I've always wondered why the line 'Nice to have the time to take this opportunity, time for me to look at you and you to look at me' didn't make it to the album. I always think of it whenever I see two people sitting together at a restaurant or a pub, each of them looking at their mobile phones.

Dawoodcock wrote:
The era I first encountered them was the earlier music, my lovely granddad bought me my first album and it was Please Please Me (he had the sense to start my collection in chronological order).

Almost the same over here. My parents didn't have a turntable (they came from households where the only luxury was a transistor radio), and I wasn't given pocket money as a child, so it was a long time until I had some records I could call mine... My grandmom gave me my two first CDs ever for my 20th birthday: 'Please Please Me' and 'With the Beatles' (she was a trendy grannie, and had the first CD player I ever saw, brought from abroad!). After that, I got all the Beatles' CDs in chronological order, which made lots of sense and made me understand how each of them had been a step forward. And, after that, I got the vinyl records, which I really like better than the CDs.