Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Jun 06, 2024 12:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sheffield
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:38 am 
Newcomer

I visited Sheffield on a weeks holiday in the eighties Like the city & countryside a lot. However it was a particularly sad timefor Sheffied as Thatcher had 'Broken 'the miners and their wives were selling their Davy lamps on stalls. How sad is that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:25 pm 
The Boss

i remember it well,it is a VERY different place now,some good some bad....during the time you visited thousands of sheffield families were fighting for survival in the steel works strikes...mine being one of them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:05 pm 
Newcomer

That was the start of breaking englands back .To put union against union was unforgivable .England has never recovered! One of the reasons we came to France. Here the unions are listened to and supported by the general public while 'manifesting' as they call it here.How else can the working class express their disaproval, if not by withdrawing their labour and sticking together.The french public make the changes here and the politicians have to listen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:31 pm 
The Boss

no one sticks together here anymore except for the rich and the politicians and the bankers i can't believe whats happening now let alone then,greedy idiots and stupid greedier idiots getting away with murder,Banks and wankers who"bought to let"or took 110% mortgages the country is fucked partly as a result,bloody crazy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:44 pm 
Newcomer

I know how you feel. It seems that people lose all principals for greed .Everybody know 110 into100 just dont go.The unfortunate thing is those w...... bring everyone down with em. Why should anyone have two houses when some poor sod has none.Trouble is when the politcians 'make it ' they conveniently forget 'their cause'.Praps they have'nt heard of 'Do as you would be done by'
S'pose I can dream.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:59 pm 
The Boss

the worst for me was the despicable way the property developers in Sheffield,and i suspect nationwide,signed up to the affordable housing project......it was supposed to be a certain percentage of what they built/converted was going to be affordable housing it just either didn't materialise or was far short of the agreed percentage.........bastards all and they thoroughly deserve what is happening to them,although i have massive sympathy for all the construction workers who have been laid off that is very bad for them and their families at this time of year too.....if only their bosses weren't so stupid and greedy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:29 pm 
Newcomer

it must be heartbreaking for the ones who are losing their jobs and having their houses reposessed, but you know something I think all these fancy schemes that are brought out under some fancy 'handle' are nothing more than a smokescreen to placate the masses.The government should never have sold the council houses .And as for the poll tax that is something else again.If only the people were to stick together and do something before it happens. The french opposed a community charge & Mitterand abolished it, I think it lasted six weeks