PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:16 pm 
Hawleytastic!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7358770.stm

http://www.mostmusicalcity.co.uk/

http://www.artscouncil.org.uk/takeitaway/stories/cities_sheffield.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:42 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I just voted............................Sheffield :) .....................thanks for the link Baroness........................

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:45 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I voted for Sheffield too............. what a coincidence! :*: :wink:

I guess I should have voted for Colchester as its more local to me, but I definitely think Sheffield is better in this instance........... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:08 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Quote:
Sheffield is again the heartbeat of British music thanks to the unstoppable phenomenon that is the Arctic Monkeys. Twenty-five years on and a 'Sheffield scene' is emerging again with mates of the Monkeys including Reverend and the Makers, Milburn and The Longpigs.

:shock: ????

NEWLY UPDATED!!!! Feel Free To Stop By...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:08 pm 
The Boss

:shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:20 pm 
Regular

Dave Woodcock wrote:
Quote:
Sheffield is again the heartbeat of British music thanks to the unstoppable phenomenon that is the Arctic Monkeys. Twenty-five years on and a 'Sheffield scene' is emerging again with mates of the Monkeys including Reverend and the Makers, Milburn and The Longpigs.

:shock: ????

:shock: And Milburn have gone the way of The Longpigs too... sad really, I know it might be blasphemy, but always prefered them to the Arctics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 12:03 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Only a few more days to vote - sounds like Manchester is a bit worried............

Is Manc still music capital?

ONE of them is known across the world for its music, the other is renowned for making cutlery.

But it's Sheffield - and not Manchester - which is closest to claiming the title of England's 'Most Musical City'.

After a month of campaigning across 10 cities nationwide and thousands of votes, the competition, launched by Arts Council England's 'Take It Away' scheme looks set to go down the wire with voting on mostmusicalcity.co.uk closing at midnight on Friday May 30.

Sheffield is home to some of England's biggest bands - both past and present. The Steel City has produced acts such as Def Leppard, The Human League, Pulp, and smash-hit sensations the Arctic Monkeys, who last summer played two huge sell out concerts in Manchester!

BBC Radio 2's Mark Radcliffe is calling on Mancunians and all fans of Manc music, ranging from The Hollies to The Smiths, The Stone Roses to Oasis, to this week vote Manchester, who currently lie third behind the Yorkshiremen and local rivals Liverpool.

Michael Eakin, executive director, Arts Council England, North West, said: "For the last 50 years, both Liverpool and Manchester have nurtured and produced some of the most outstanding and diverse musical talent. With music at the heart of both cities, it's a hard choice to nominate one over the other.

"What is evident, though, is that the North West unquestionably produces the best musical talent throughout England and the world. Voting for either Manchester or Liverpool in The Most Musical City competition ensures we celebrate these achievements, making the North West a winner."

Biased

Inspiral Carpets star Clint Boon believes that the contest is a one horse race. He said: "It's definitely Manchester. I'm biased but it's fact! People come to Manchester for the music. Sheffield had a great scene in the '80s, but then it faded away. They're on a crest of a wave now with Little Man Tate, the Arctic Monkeys and Richard Hawley but Manchester produces constantly amazing music, even when there's not a big scene.

"There's probably a good argument for Liverpool, but I think Manchester has more diversity. A lot of Liverpool's music is still heavily under the influence of The Beatles, there's still a very strong '60s vibe.

"In Manchester, there's so many unique acts, like The Whip and Cherry Ghost. And even with Take That - like them or not - they're a phenomenal success, not just musically but in British pop culture."

There is an extra incentive for the leading cities - two young bands or artists, representing the winning city and the runners-up, will be chosen by a panel of music industry experts to play to in front of 5,000 people at September's End of the Road Festival, in Dorset.

Already over 150 unsigned acts have registered for this opportunity at myspace.com/mostmusicalcity and the winning city and the three bands to play the End of the Road Festival will be announced in June.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 12:20 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Fingers crossed till June!!!!!!!!!......................

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 4:50 pm 
Hawley Groupie

Closing date for voting is today by midnight.

Here's the link:

http://www.mostmusicalcity.co.uk

....and if you are in any doubt about Sheffield's greatness listen to this fine hour of indie-music from the steel city:

http://www.canstream.co.uk/sheffieldlive/index.php?id=8118

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:05 am 
Hawleytastic!

Great Link..................thanks Hughie.......... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:13 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I can't wait to see which city wins.

(I voted for the real most musical city - Manchester!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:05 pm 
Hawley Groupie

jane wrote:
Great Link..................thanks Hughie.......... :)

Cheers Jane.

Rita: results for "Most Musical City" are released on June 16th apparently...the word on the street is that it's a three-way race between Sheff, Manc and L'pool 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:27 pm 
Hawleytastic!

HughieD wrote:
Rita: results for "Most Musical City" are released on June 16th apparently...the word on the street is that it's a three-way race between Sheff, Manc and L'pool 8)

I've just spent 20 minutes trying to find this date on the useless 'Take it Away' website. So that's next Monday then.

Liverpool, Madchester and Sheffield are the obvious ones along with London. I thought Leicester might be in with a shout after Mr H's visit! :oops: Did he not like that. http://www.richardhawleyforum.co.uk/vie ... ht=#178827

Bristol or Colchester?? :roll: :roll: Is you havin' a larf? And, why no Coventry? Jerry Dammers won't be pleased.

However, I suspect the winning city will be the one which cranked up the most effective publicity machine - and not necessarily 'Britain's most musical city.'

Never mind, it was a great way of driving people to the website, so some stats bod in the Arts Council will be able to justify a slippery dollop of spending.

There was a funny quote (well, I thought so) on the Liverpool section of www.mostmusicalcity.co.uk

Quote:
The Scouse sound has been the unfading sonic backbone of the last 40 years of music culture. Remember those 4 lads who changed the world with their haircuts and sound? Yep, Echo and The Bunnymen are just one of many beautiful things to have swept out of the Pool of Life.

My little boy Paddy sings the Bunnymen's 'Lover Come Back To Me.' He's only three and it makes me cry. Blub. :cry: :cry: :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:25 am 
Hawleytastic!

Sorry folks. The scow-zers won... :D :D Fair enough?

Sheffield and Mr H in particular got an honourable mention on Radio Merseyside this morning.

1, Liverpool; 2, Sheffield; 3, Manchester...and London....nowhere.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7457278.stm