Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 10:20 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:01 am 
Hawley Groupie

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/new ... 4044712.jp

ELECTIONS '08: BNP seize first seats

Local elections

The politics of "hate and division" joined the ranks at Rotherham Council today - after the far-right BNP seized its first seats in South Yorkshire's history.

The current Mayor of Rotherham, Allan Jackson, was unseated by the British National Party candidate John Gamble, who is now the councillor for the Brinsworth and Catcliffe ward.

Then, after a recount, the BNP won the Maltby ward with Will Blair toppling the sitting Labour councillor Glyn Barry Robinson.

Rotherham Labour MP Denis MacShane told The Star today the town hall result was "regrettable" - and slammed the BNP as a party that "offers only hate and division".

"It obviously is regrettable that the BNP are as attractive to Rotherham voters as the Conservative Party for those who want the vote against the Government," he said. "This is a serious protest vote.

"Labour will inevitably win back these two seats by working hard on the ground, because the BNP offers only hate and division that provides no solution to any of Rotherham's needs."

Wentworth MP and local government minister John Healey agreed the result was a "protest vote" against rising food and fuel bills.
"The message voters were sending out in Rotherham is one we need to listen to," he told The Star.

"A combination of our voters staying at home and also looking for the nearest protest vote meant the BNP picked up votes."

In Sheffield, taking the council from Labour is one of the Liberal Democrats' biggest national targets - and party chief Nick Clegg is to be at today's count, where he hopes to be celebrating with city group leader Coun Paul Scriven.

Sheffield is one of three major cities the party hopes to have in its hands.

But Coun Scriven was pragmatic. He said: "It's very close. We hope to make progress but will wait until the votes have been counted."
Labour leader Coun Jan Wilson did not want to speculate on her party's chances of relinquishing power.

She said: "This has been a very tightly-fought election and the result is likely to be very close."

In Barnsley Labour maintained its overall control by the narrowest of margins - just one councillor.

There had been predictions of a major meltdown in traditional Labour support, of more gains by the Barnsley Independent Group, and confident claims from the BNP that they would have at least one councillor sitting in Barnsley Town Hall by the time all votes were counted.

As the polls closed last night worried Labour candidates admitted they genuinely feared that, for the first time, Barnsley Council might not have an overall majority of Labour councillors. But when it was all over in the early hours of this morning the BIG party had taken just two seats from Labour, and Labour had won one back from the Lib Dems leaving them with an overall majority of just one. To compound Labour's woes in Rotherham, Cabinet member for Neighbourhoods Sue Ellis lost her seat in Wickersley to the Tories. And the chair of the Performance and Scrutiny Overview, Labour's Ralph Stonebridge was beaten by Conservative Darren Hughes in the Anston and Woodsetts ward.

Labour lost a further councillor to the conservatives in the Wales ward. Although Labour still has 51 seats out of 63 on Rotherham Council, where before it had 55, the party's only gain of the night was a win in Rotherham West from an Independent.

The BNP challenge had faltered - though it came second in eight wards. In Doncaster Labour lost three seats in the council chamber - Balby, Great North Road, and Edlington and Warmsworth - but gained Hatfield.

There is still no party in overall control. Labour remain the biggest with 27 seats, and the night's biggest winners, opposition group the Alliance of Independent Members, are now the council's joint-second largest party, with 12 seats like the Lib Dems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:29 am 
Hawleytastic!

sickening.

NEWLY UPDATED!!!! Feel Free To Stop By...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:43 am 
Gimmie 6 !

not to make excuses for this or tar everyone with the same brush but Rotherham has alot of old fashioned people with old fashioned views. It doesn't really suprise me, i'm glad i left all that shit behind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:34 pm 
The Boss

come to rotherham its great

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:40 pm 
Hawleytastic!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tO945nJ0UDk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:47 pm 
The Boss

all fights and transfers included classic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:49 pm 
At least they now have a BNP councillor for every surname in the phone book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:49 pm 
Hawleytastic!

"local legend has it that if you drink enough of this - you will have a fight"

haha. cant stand bloody clarkson - arrogant knobhead - but hes pretty spot on with this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:33 pm 
Gimmie 6 !

when he is sat outside that boozer with the pint and the window gets broke....... i got punched outside that pub for asking what time it closed!!! it's only 5 minutes from me folks house..... how i love rawmarsh/rotherham!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:00 am 
Hawleytastic!

Personally, I'm planning my next holiday to Rotherham...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:30 pm 
Waitrose Warrior

must be a pretty short holiday then :roll: