Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:24 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Please tell me this is not true, I visited Sheffield on Friday, as I was attending the Devils Arse gig. I had my photo taken in Castle Market replicating the "Late Night Final" album cover pose at the snack bar. Sharon who still runs it, took the photo herself! The whole atmosphere there was intoxicating, the diversity, the wonderful aromas, just fantastic. To pull this place down would be a tragedy!
Also had a pint in "Fagans", stood on "Lady's Bridge", and saw the "Hendo`s Building", it does n`t get any better than that! Absolutely loved Sheffield and am chuffed at having made the "pilgrimage" to Richard`s home town, I can see why he loves it so much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:45 am 
Prodigal Sean

I'm afraid so. The site of the new market building is almost cleared and construction begins next year. I'm not sure what the plan is for Castle Market, but I suspect the words "urban living solution" won't be far away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:17 pm 
Newcomer

The market is built on the site of the old Sheffield Castle, hence its name. When the market is finally demolished there will be an archaeological research project
http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/mediacentre/2008/1132.html
http://www.yorkshire-forward.com/news-e ... tle-images
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield_Castle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:37 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

I spoke to the lady I buy my fruit and veg from in there and she said it will be a couple of years before they move to the bottom of the Moor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:22 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

....some of my pics from around 1991 - 1993

bags of character at that place but chuffin' mucky too

find out here: http://www.freewebs.com/allpete/

limited editions of pete's original sheffield books and prints available from rare and racey, division street

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:37 pm 
The Boss

i love it though,it has a beauty not many folk might see,i dunno maybe its just me.I have spent so many many hours in and around the market over the last four decades it would be really hard for me to imagine it not being there,i hope they look after the market raders properly though,i worry that they will provide the space for them to continue trading but will get rid of them by putting up the rents and thereby"gentrifying the new market area THAT is the kind of sneaky trick i can see happening therefore pusing up the prices of the food and that means poor folk won't be able to buy cheap but good quality food,i am a product of that market as are loads of other sheffielders........i accept it has to go but it breaks me heart. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:53 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Thanks for replying to my post Richard. I`m with you on this one, I loved the atmosphere in that place. I`m from the South and I wished there was a place like that here, sadly most of this type of building is now gone.
As I said, I loved Sheffield as a whole and I can`t help thinking, I left a part of my soul there really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:01 pm 
The Boss

it doesn't matter where your from pal its where your AT that counts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:30 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Richard Hawley wrote:
it doesn't matter where your from pal its where your AT that counts
Yes. Thank You, for reminding me. That is true wisdom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:28 am 
Resident YouTube tech guru

I haven't had a proper look at Sheffield, I must admit. Only passed through, getting in the way of a few trams en route. Never made it to Fagan's as planned this autumn either. :cry: So, time to plan for next year I think. I wonder about a cheap B&B for a couple of nights & a mooch about. Still waiting to try a Fagan's all day breakfast 8) .....Oh bugger, now I'm hungry :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:30 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

This might sound a bit tragic, but when I feel down I love going to Castle Market for a jolt to the soul to get it jumping again. A lovlier bunch of people you will never meet. The friendliest, chattiest traders and will always do you a bit of a deal. The fruit and veg is the tastiest and freshest stuff you can buy in Sheffield. You can buy fucking everything from there too.

I am a Southerner too, and you are right, there is shite-all down South of its like and I love bringing people to see it. Some people I worked with and had lived in Sheffield all their lives had never been because they were a bit snobby about it, but when I forced them to go there with me one lunchtime, they were totally won over and absolutely loved it.

I completely love Sheffield and am a big subscriber to the "where you're at" theory. You can't help where you were brung up can you? It is not like I was screaming from the womb "No, Mother, not Croydon...!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:47 am 
The Boss

ha ha ha ha ha noooooooooooo shoreditch.........but it is true its not where your from etc.....i think its why so many ex students and folk who come to work here temporarily stay here cos its a on the whole a friendly boss city,its not good looking but you feel better in its surroundings........a bit like me really.....not a looker but you can have a laugh with it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:08 pm 
Hot piece of Sheffield ass!

My mum will be utterly bereft, the pound market on Wednesday mornings is one of the highlights of her week....she loves a good bargain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:10 pm 
The Boss

i miss sheaf market there were some ace stalls in there

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:37 am 
Prodigal Sean

Richard Hawley wrote:
its not good looking but you feel better in its surroundings........a bit like me really.....not a looker but you can have a laugh with it

Yeah, hastily conceived in the 1960s, has been regretted since, bits of it are closing down and it's famous for a series of disappointing erections.