Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 3:50 am 
Hawleytastic!

I really like this photograph. I don't know if this guy is a budding poet or what.

This is from this old box of glass negatives. Some other glass negatives from this box are 100% taken in 1905 and are in central Sheffield.

Does anybody recognise this at all?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:23 am 
Regular

The photo is of the 1907 Gowers and Burgon's Annual General Meeting the secretary is taking the minutes and counting and the chairman with the straw boater is taking a show of hands as to whether it should be a bully beef or potted meat paste promotion for the coming year...apart from that I potential hypothesis.. I don't really know

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:03 am 
The Boss

the structure at the top left i am sure still exists,i am sure of it.I think its Darnell ar Attercliffe,possibly Neepsend.......it may be near the studio it looks so familiar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:11 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I love these pictures - even though I don't know Sheffield very well they're fascinating, please keep posting them Netheredge! :D

I find it interesting that there are blinds in the first two floors of the house as well as curtains - and only blinds in the top floor - presume they must have been the servants quarters.

And those guys look so smart and elegant :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:13 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Arfur-C-Clerk

Your words are hilarious.

Thanks Richard for the possible sighting. I've just spent ages on Google street view..but of yet can't find anything.

OK Baroness I'll put another one on. I was going to keep this one, because it really needs working on. But I'll stick it on. This was a turn up for the books.

Lady's Bridge in 1905.

The arch was erected when Edward VII was in town.

'Albo Lapillo Notare Diem' means 'To Mark the Day with a White Stone'. I presume that means something. I've got a few of these taken around the centre. I'll bung them on when I get chance. They are pretty under exposed because of the weather. But very groovy all the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 4:05 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Thats lovely! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:38 pm 
The Boss

there were three of those arches built,one was on or near high st or nearer the telegraph offices and i think the third was at the top of fargate,i have seen this or a similar photo before

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:09 pm 
Regular

netheredge wrote:
I really like this photograph. I don't know if this guy is a budding poet or what.
Does anybody recognise this at all?

This is a scoop of a photo ..and there is a pun intended too...and a clue... because it is none other than Martin Lilleker's great great grandad George Lilleker that stalwart from the Sheffield Telegraph and Argus for his Gig Guide and What's New Entertainment for the Refined Personage (bit long winded but they had plenty of ink in them days !!) interviewing a new singer (wasn't your great great grandad by any chance was it Richard ;) * ) see how George hangs on to every utterance by the young minstrel.. pencil and notebook at the ready...they were serious journalists in them days...serious sober backdrops too....nowadays the backgrounds are usually in some upmarket trendy cafe or pixelised copy and pasted by the press photographer....
cheery bye now...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 1:33 am 
Resident YouTube tech guru

That's a great picture, netheredge. Industrial landscapes are a great favourite of mine. :thumleft:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:32 am 
Hawleytastic!

Yeah, I love the contrast of the industrial background and getting all dressed up. Sort of like 'Flowers in the Concrete' in you want.

Anyway, back to our friends posing away.

Again I really like this last one. I would love to know where abouts this is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:26 am 
Regular

Were these guys posing for an edition of Playgirl or whatever the equivalent was in them days ? probably Mrs Beaton's 'Look While You Cook' Book.....;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:17 am 
The Boss

well judging by the background its just further left to the previous one as the circular thing is still in the background

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:45 am 
Hawleytastic!

Thanks Richard, but I worked that much out! I meant if I would love to know to where this site is.

I've had a good look through the new modern medium of Google street view and like you said it really does look like the Attercliffe or Darnell area. But as of yet I can't seem to find any of the buildings in the background. I was fascinated that you can still recall, what I presume is a gas holder in the background.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:39 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Here's some links for you based on the 'Gasometer' thats in the background.. good luck

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1258076

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97607362@N ... otostream/

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/your-city-c ... d-strategy (see 3.4 (b) Neepsend, Parkwood Road)

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1122499

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 3:40 pm 
Geordie Admin Dominatrix

I think it's a wind up, it's obviously Dave Woodcock and Luke mucking about with Mr Sleney's wardrobe.