Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:06 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:43 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

http://www.thestar.co.uk/community/the-diary/return_of_the_limit_1_3394120

I was too young to go to the original, will this be good or full of people trying to get the same feeling back they had 20 years ago?

never go back, go forward - something exciting will happen soon but its got to be new, don't try too hard, sit back order a white russian and something will come along eventually. If it doesn't, order another white russian.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:49 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Sort of surprised nobody has posted on this thread. Well before my time..but, yeah I've heard so much about this place..to say the least..all good as well.

It's a funny one..I cannot but wish someone trying do something positive well in these times, but most importantly like you say..don't live in the past.

I didn't like the way he 'sort of' dissed The Human League..

It's just using a name I guess?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:53 pm 
Hawleytastic!

As somebondy pointed out in a response to The Star web article :

"ended up paying a three figure fine after being arrested for a massive tax evasion"

What £1.99? :clown:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:04 am 
The Boss

the Limit was a great club,the thing is its like CBGB's or any other club that was great and ground breaking......i don't think that they knew how important they were at the time they were running which is why they were great,very un self conscious........the effect the Limit had on the music scene in Sheffield was massive at the time,i practically lived there for many years,it was the ONLY club at the time that had that edgy vibe where you didn't quiet know what was going to happen next i loved it as did so many of us......i saw some boss bands there and had the pleasure of playing there many times i wish the new club only the best,good vibes are good vibes wherever they come from......i personally don't like looking back too much,the future and now is what is exciting..........the past has a dodgy way of re jigging itself into rosy coloured spectacle land for people for whom"Now"isn't as much fun maybe????....so the emphasis should be on its strengths which was having new acts and new music as well as of course leaning on its heritage.....it hasn't done say....the 100 club any harm to itself or culture in general any harm......the music was in kin' ace Paul was always a good DJ i hope he is involved.....i also hope this doesn't come across negative the Limit was really ace and only wish everyone involved the best of wishes......it would be good to know if Trini or Clem were on the door too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:39 pm 
Hawley Groupie

Only managed to play there once. Saw some great bands (Age of Chance, the Human League to name but two). One certainty tho' was you WOULD stick to the floor!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:34 am 
Hawleytastic!

I only ever went to the Limit Club once - to see the Barracudas in 1980 - I remember it being downstairs and one of the blokes in Def Leppard being in there. The DJ in there wanted the Barracudas off the stage after their set, so when they came back for an encore (Tallahassee Lassie - Freddy Cannon cover) the bouncers tried to physically pull them off stage and there was a bit of a ruck. The Barracudas won and did the encore.
Photos taken on a Kodak Instamatic -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:02 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I'm sure they were support to The Tourists round about that time.

Saw them at the Manchester Apollo bought tickets on the door and was seated in the third row of the stalls - the place was empty[ish]...

Gig was all the better for it tho'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:06 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

I echo the sentiments of others on this thread. The limit was a great place to be - indeed it was my preferred club of the 80's, besting the haunts I used to visit in London, Derby, Nottingham and Birmingham.

I wish the new incarnation every success :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:01 pm 
Hawleytastic!

my version was the lamplight club in chorton. whadda dump. but ace.