Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:01 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Butterfly House
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:12 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Took the kids here last week, Butterfly House is just on the outskirts of Sheffield (North Anston) it's is a very very warm tropical house that has loads of differnt butterflies flying around, some turtles, tarantulas, iguanas,snakes etc, there is also farm around the house too which ahs Meerkats, Ducks, Goats, Skunks, Rabbits etc. we watched the Parrot & Birds of Prey display which was fantastic, nearly got diverbombed by a Harrier Hawk. highly reccomend a visit even if you haven't got kids.
http://www.butterflyhouse.co.uk/

www.myspace.com/roamingson
www.facebook.com/roamingsonuk
www.facebook.com/marklyall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:19 pm 
Geordie Admin Dominatrix

I love those places!

I went to one in Teeside a couple of years ago,
they had a family of qualis running round, cutest things I've ever seen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:33 pm 
Too much time on my hands

What a good place - when we lived at Woodsetts we went practically every month- it has changed so much - really developed into more than just Butterflies. Millie had her birthday party there when she was six - highly recommended. It's always nice to see somebody who had a real interest make a success of something which provides fun for a lot of people!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:37 am 
Hawley Groupie

i like the ball cannons in the barn; out of the way kids....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:14 pm 
The Boss

We had a birthday party for our youngest there it was ace they all got to hold an owl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:52 pm 
Hawleytastic!

saw it advertised that you can have birthday parties there, if we'd have known we would have done summat for our daughter as its her 4th birthday this Saturday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:52 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Richard Hawley wrote:
We had a birthday party for our youngest there it was ace they all got to hold an owl

a Sheff Wed player?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:05 pm 
Hawley Groupie

You can (well, you could a couple of years ago, presume you still can) do falconry days there too. Learn to fly the birds a bit, pretend you're Billy from Kes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:12 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Richard Hawley wrote:

There is an owl man you can book for kids parties and schools and he came to my boy's school. The chap brings out a tiny owl, then a couple of slightly bigger owls, then the owl like Hedwig from Harry Potter. And the kids get to see them and hold them. Then he makes all the kids lie on the floor with their arms by their side and brings out an eagle owl, absolutely massive thing, that flies from one end of the room to another, about two feet above the kids lying on the floor. It was just one of the coolist things I have ever seen, the kids were just entranced by it. And really terrified at the same time...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:44 pm 
The Boss

I remember my then very little girl have an owl fly to her arm,with a gauntlet on an proper supervision of course,and her being really calm and me and my Mrs being pretty nervous......the owl was bigger than her head we've got some boss pics too,it's a great place for kids I reckon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:48 am 
Hawleytastic!

We often take the kids to Woburn Safari Park, Mr L. It's near my mums and its something we can take the olds to as well as the kids. Anyway, in the Butterfly House they give the kids little tubs of nectar, which apparently is... well, like nectar to butterflies. When we went there, my dad had a pot in each hand and we counted 52 butterflies on his hands supping on the stuff.

My dad used to be a bus driver until he retired and he tells a great story about taking a double-decker load of visitors to the safari park in the sixties. They were driving through the lion enclosure and got stuck in a jam of cars stopping to see the animals. Anyway, this huge massive lion comes up to the bus and starts pawing at the bottom of the concertina doors that you get in double deckers. Everybody was laughing and saying how good it was to see the animals up close. But then something happens with the door and the fucking thing gets his head under the bottom, big mane, sharp teeth, roaring, big eyes looking at my dad, sat in the driver's seat. All the passengers were screaming and my dad nearly shat himself. The park keeper had to come and provoke the thing to get it out. All I know is that he could never watch Daktari in quite the same way again... x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:04 am 
Resident YouTube tech guru

I arrived home one night in the winter only about 6.30pm, but already dark & there was an owl sitting in the tree. I sat in the car & watched it for a few minutes before it flew silently away. One of those moments that surprise you for being so special 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:57 am 
Hawleytastic!

Eagle Owls are as cool as fuck. There was a couple nesting a while ago a few miles away and causing all sort of trouble, that the cops had to be called in and close all the paths. They were protecting their young and having ago a walkers in the process.