Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:48 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The Big Melt
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:32 pm 
Site Admin

BBC4 tonight featuring footage from the BFI National Archive telling the story of Sheffield and the steelworkers.

Background music recorded during a gig at the Crucible.

From the BFI website "Musicians led by Cocker included singer Richard Hawley, The Forgemasters, a string quartet, a children’s choir, and the City of Sheffield Brass Band, bringing the BFI’s This Working Life project full circle from the launch of the first strand, King Coal, with the Redbridge Brass Band at BFI Southbank in 2009."

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

Post subject: Re: The Big Melt
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:47 am 
The Boss

I would like to mention Candida Doyle,Steve Mackey,Shez Sheridan,Nick Banks,Ross Orton and David Coulter who all made massive contributions to the music that was performed live in one single take and performance at the Crucible theatre,there were the also above mentioned in the previous post(Rob Gordon and Winston the Forgemasters) as well as the the choir,string players and brass band who were a huge part of it too not just me and Jarvis...it was rehearsed and basically created by all concerned in lightning time,three or four days tops it was eloquently directed by Jarvis but as always with our gang everyone put their two p'ennorth into the pot.......i am only saying this so i don't take any credit i am not due and make sure my fellow musicians are mentioned in despatches so to speak.....and given the credit they fully deserve..i know Jarv feels the same.

nuff said.....any road..........

it was a very emotional experience for all concerned and i think it worked out not three bad in the end

special mention goes to Martin Wallace for his insane work ethic and awesome talent ..>

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:01 am 
Resident YouTube tech guru

Really enjoyed the film & music. I was quite mesmerised by the whole thing. The actual physical industry of steel making was amazing to see there, the enormity & brutality of it. But there's a beauty to it too because you can see the skill in the workers, in their manner & confidence in the operations they're carrying out, and their pride in doing it accurately. The guy who was directing the shaping of the huge ingot - like he was conducting an orchestra. Which is what he was doing, essentially.
There's something about working in harsh conditions that makes the ends so much more worthy of appreciation, somehow. Don't get me wrong, I've never experienced anything worse than being a bit cold & dirty, but I can kind of get it. And the colour section showing the apprentices learning engineering skills at their bench got me straight in the heart, because, done for the camera as it was, that's the apprenticeship I'd pictured for myself, but never got to do.

The music fitted the footage perfectly, must have been great to witness the performance at the Crucible. I wonder if there'll be a recording made available.

Going to watch again on iplayer. Also to get a proper look at the music credits, as they whizzed up the screen bit too fast to take in properly!

Anyway, thanks to everyone involved in it - it was excellent ..>

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:47 am 
Resident YouTube tech guru

Just found out a DVD of The Big Melt is available to pre-order from Amazon :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:33 pm 
Hawley Groupie

engrossing; mad buggers wandering about on bridge girders...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:08 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Missed this but will definately watch again if its on the iplayer.

www.myspace.com/roamingson
www.facebook.com/roamingsonuk
www.facebook.com/marklyall

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:36 pm 
Waitrose Warrior

I thought it was absorbing viewing - particularly liked the bingo and pub "interludes" and the conducting foreman that lofty mentioned. The soundtrack perfectly fitted each scene and mood.