Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: tramlines 2014
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:53 pm 
Hawley Groupie

brief & incomplete scan of this year's stuff, spotted a few things that I know people on here like/are/are connected with. Nicely spread out across the weekend in places that sell good beer & don't need a wristband. Suspect Craig is involved in some of it.

MJ Blues, Roaming Son, Neil McSweeney, David J Roch, Nat Johnson, Dave Woodcock, Dave Sleney, Repomen, Chris Murphy; ....er, and Katy B, but you have to pay for that.

Post subject: Re: tramlines 2014
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:19 am 
Secretly Canadian

Doing the Sunday at the Shakey: http://wagonwheelmedia.wordpress.com/20 ... july-27th/

"you ain't afraid of no alleyway when you are the thing in the dark"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:46 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

tips? any tips on who I should see?

So far:

Nordic Giants - Saturday
The Cribs
Mike Hughes
Slow Club
Payroll Union

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:47 pm 
Secretly Canadian

Stuart Pearce's Swimming Trunks wrote:
tips? any tips on who I should see?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :D

I've not even looked through the programme yet for Friday & Saturday...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:46 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

oh Craig

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:06 pm 
Hawley Groupie

Try to get within a mile of the Fat Cat for the Everley's tonight, and take it from there; go to all the things above, and if you make it out early on Sunday, the lunchtime folk forest stuff looks good.

And get on at least one Buskers' Bus - doesn't matter which one - you just HAVE to do the bus. It's in the rules.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:32 pm 
Secretly Canadian

Yeah Buskers' Bus & Folk Forest are always worth a go, and you can kill two birds with one stone.

First visit to CADS last year and that was pretty cool so will be paying there another visit (M&J Blues tomorrow).

Always try and get to somewhere i've never been before, that'll be The Royal Standard tonight. Unfortunately Dave Sleney's playing.

Not really got much of a plan beyond that. Couple of newish bands i want to try and see tomorrow. Tonight my aim is to actually see some bands which rarely normally happens on the Friday.

It's a shame the City Hall Ballroom & Cathedral have now been pulled into the paying venues area, few things i would see in the Cathedral tomorrow but can catch most of them elsewhere. Think that might be a bit of an own goal, particularly in respect of pulling in more casual music fans.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:27 pm 
Hawley Groupie

yeah, with you on the Cathedral & City Hall Ballroom; lovely venues and one of the best parts of the 'casual' tramlines. Don't mind the wristband idea as such, but hoped it would just be on those places that always have a queue, if you see what I mean.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:51 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Just buy a wristband..simples

I've bought one and i'm pretty sure i'm only going to see a couple of things in paying venues.

The way I see it £30 is a small amount to pay to keep this thing going. I'd be gutted if they couldnt afford to do it any more.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:02 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Craig wrote:
Always try and get to somewhere i've never been before, that'll be The Royal Standard tonight. Unfortunately Dave Sleney's playing.

Well worth the admission fee - are you not backing him - shaking your maracas or bangin' tha bongo or tootin' tha' trombolo?

Have a good one folks - wherever you get to ..>

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:53 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

My annual visit to Sheffield for Tramlines is usually for the entire weekend, but for financial reasons, this year I had to content myself with one day. A quick glance at the line-up made that an easy decision...Sunday and a nice leisurely 4pm start, seeing David J Roch at The Shakespeare and finishing six hours later with The Crookes at the University. Then things began to change...

A couple of fortuitous glances at Twitter on Friday revealed that two of my favourite acts from Tramliines 2013 had secured slots on the mainstage. The addition of The Payroll Union meant that my leisurely 4pm start became a 2:30 start, whilst High Hazels elevation to the main stage left a gaping hole in my evening, as their original slot was obviously cancelled. Opportunities abounded. The only downside was that there was no longer any chance of seeing David J Roch at 4pm, but more of him later...

The Payroll Union's rocking Americana works perfectly on the sun-kissed Devonshire Green and they will certainly have won some new fans here. The Beat engender nostalgia and THAT dance and High Hazels continue their ascendancy. Their forthcoming single, 'Misbehave' sounds like a hit and they announce the release date of their debut album as 27th October.

With some fast walking, I make it to The Shakespeare just in time to catch some of Tomorrow We Sail and will definitely check out more of their reverb soaked majesty. This is the start of the best couple of hours of the day. The crowd peaks as Neil McSweeney rocks up in the stable, with people finding any vantage point possible for his scintillating set. Paul Littlewood (when he can be bothered turning up on stage) proves that Sheffield is blessed by powerful voices. Travelling to Sheffield from Southend and back in a day might sound like a crazy idea, but M G Boulter and his band will do a lot for live music. His solo set in the afternoon is some compensation for me, given that I won't be able to catch his band, The Lucky Strikes at 10pm...

It is with something of a heavy heart that I depart The Shakespeare. The atmosphere is great and there are still some great acts to come, but the University is calling and Tramlines stalwarts, The Hosts. This band have become favourites of mine over the last eight years and they are the main reason that I chose Sunday for my Tramlines fix. They are still on their 'Softly, Softly' lap of honour and rightly so. This is truly a home town celebration for a band who have finally come of age.It is feel-good fun, with my only hope being that there are some new songs by next year's Tramlines.

Decision time, stay where I am, drinking Tetley smooth and watch local heroes The Crookes, who I saw just two months ago when their tour visited Manchester. Or, make the long walk back to The Shakespeare to drink locally brewed cask ale and watch David J Roche, who I have not seen since Tramlines 2013 and The Lucky Strikes. What the hell, walking is good for you, right?

I miss the start of David J Roch, as even my long legs can't achieve the walk in four minutes. However, I am there in time to be reminded of the power in his voice and when brass extraordinaire Duncan Vaughan appears atop a table, the decision to miss The Crookes is justified. Closing band The Lucky Strikes render the debate redundant with a sweat-inducing set that sees the floor of The Shakespeare under severe pressure. Southend's finest combine folk and rock 'n' roll like no others and Sheffield loves them.

In one day, I saw:

The Payroll Union
The Beat
High Hazels
Tomorrow We Sail
Neil Mcsweeney
Paul Littlewood
MG Boulter
The Hosts
David J Roch
The Lucky Strikes

The one that got away:

The Crookes

Best day at Tramlines ever and hat doffed to Craig and Neil.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:17 pm 
Secretly Canadian

Strikes absolutely smashed it last night, whole day was a belter even if i say so myself.

Friday & Saturday was a bit of a mixed bag. Dave was alright on Friday, caught most of Two Skies outside Viper Rooms and that was probably best bit. Rest was a bit of a sea of indie bollocks.

Saturday started very well at CADS with M&J Blues, caught 4 or 5 bands in town through the day while mostly ambling around pretty aimlessly without any kind of plan. Most interesting random band i saw were The Gildings in the Shakey before a great Roaming Son set in a very hot Riverside. Finished off back at the Shakey with Laurel Canyons.

Failed on the Buskers Bus front, pretty poorly publicised in terms of routes and stops this year i thought.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:46 pm 
Geordie Admin Dominatrix

I manned a Tombola.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:46 pm 
Hawleytastic!

maggie wrote:
I manned a Tombola.

Not a Tombolo?

Who won the Toblerone?

Thanks for the reviews folks ..>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:00 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I grew up opposite a Toblerone factory. My mum used to make Sunday dinner for the old boy on the gate and he would take us round and show me and my sister how they made the chocolate. Sometimes, he'd give us carrier bags of defective Toblerones, ones with a pyramid missing or something, to take home. It was why I was such a fat fuck with a gob full of fillings when I was a kid. And also why I never believed Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. No oompa lompas, just my mates' mums working the minimum wage. Love a Toblerone, me. The top prize every time. xxx