Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:54 pm 
Newcomer

Just had thumbs up for this topic from Dawoodcock so hope it's okay...

The University of Sheffield is launching a Massive Open Online Course (or MOOC) called How To Write Your First Song. It's a six week course launching 8th June 2015 that teaches you everything from scales and chords to understanding ear worms - but it also features a ton of musical artists with links to Richard. Here's a video.

Friend of the forum Martin Simpson is using the techniques taught over the course of the er, course to to write a song and will be appearing each week to provide inspiration and guidance on the songwriting process. And Jon McClure, Nat Johnson and Neil McSweeney are among the musical partners providing guest advice at different points in the course. There's also guests from While She Sleeps and Clubs & Spades to Toddla T, 65daysofstatic and more.

It's a fantastic showcase of Sheffield creative endeavour. But it's also global – we're creating a worldwide, community-based endeavour here where anyone from Rotherham to Rajasthan can learn, write, sing and share their song.

We're on Twitter @FLSong and over the next couple of weeks we'll have playlists, takeovers and exclusive videos from some of our guests. But I know there's plenty of musicians on this board (as well as non musicians) and you've always seemed like a nice bunch from my extended periods of lurking. If you're one of the former I'd love to hear any songwriting tips you might have. If you're the latter, tell us what's stopping you.