Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 619 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: Henderson's Relish
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:06 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

dlgladwin wrote:
Obviously this will prolong your label agonies, but at least you'll be able to use it in moderation - the neck of those plastic bottles is about an inch wide!

Much as I've liked the relish, I can see the risk of using bottles with such a neck width. I think I'll follow your piece of advice and look for a funnel. If I finish my current bottle without any accident, I'll steam the label off, keep it safely inside a book and use the bottle freely.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:00 pm 
Regular

Can you get hendos down south? And is it really that good? I am mildly suspicious of recommendations - When I went to Hungary everyone said you should try the Unicum - http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicum#section_2 - erm..... No ... unless you like earwax... I've still got some, don't mind swapping that for some hendersons...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:57 pm 
Too much time on my hands

Well.... (I will wash my mouth out with soap and water after the next comment)..it looks like Worcester sauce as in it is dark brown and of thin pouring consistency but it is nowhere near as hot as the afore mentioned condiment. It is just..erm...hendos. Savoury - slightly spicy but not hot spicy -particularly good with meat and I like it on cheese on toast. And on mashed potatoes. I also add it when I am making gravy. I think you would either really like it or think it was okay but I don't think you would hate it. It is not love or hate like marmite. I have just realised that the taste of something is impossible to describe unless there is a good comparison and with Hendos there isn't because it has got its own unique taste. I don't know if you can get it darn sarf. Possibly not. Perhaps some of the more articulate forum members will be able to describe it better than I have!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:42 pm 
Gentleman of floral persuasion

It's tastes & looks like Worcester sauce to me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:11 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I was presented with my first bottle of Henderson's Relish back in January this year - cheers noblebones! - and it's now coming to an end two months later - I put it on most things - even Pizza with a fruit topping - just adds a bit of spice without being overpowering.

Perverse sensory experience - the smell reminds me of a mates house from back in the 60's - an added bonus.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:11 pm 
The Boss

Little Dickie wrote:

Bar this fool now.........it's fuck all like woofter sauce :roll:

Actually the main difference is that there are no animal products used in hendo's whereas the other unamable horror has anchovies.....hendo's rules.....the end

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:26 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Richard Hawley wrote:
Actually the main difference is that there are no animal products used in hendo's whereas the other unamable horror has anchovies.....hendo's rules.....the end

Plus it's loads cheaper than...that other stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:03 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Richard Hawley wrote:
hendo's rules.....the end

Is that an album title exclusive?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:04 pm 
Gentleman of floral persuasion

Richard Hawley wrote:
Little Dickie wrote:

Bar this fool now.........it's fuck all like woofter sauce :roll:

Maybe it's nearly 40 years of fags that's fucked my tastebuds up.....fuckin love anchovies though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:34 pm 
The Boss

I've given up for nearly three months now and I feel great I've passed the real tests that were worrying me for years,having a drink,playing big pressure concerts and how it would affect my voice ......I've been innebriated on several occasions since,played those concerts and the lads think my singings better than ever........I met an old family friend after Christmas with his son and daughter he's got emphysema,his daughter was carrying his oxygen tank and his son was carrying an oxygen ratio calculator so he could tell his dad when he could take a step.......!!!!!.......I was truly horrified,it was at that point I realised that it affects our loved ones as well if we get cancer they miss us but diseases like his drag on and on for years and years...... I miss my dad every day and will till the end of my days,we went to a lovely wedding yesterday and one of dads best mates was there they went to school together they were the same age he'd never smoked he's 70 and still going strong......It made me happy to see him but sad for pop.....none of us knows what's waiting for us round the corner but I cannot do that to my children...........got me taste buds back too......hendo's is still best......hate anchovies

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:52 pm 
Hawleytastic!

That's really moving that. When I gave up, I knew I had to or it would've killed me. And when we had kids, I just knew that I'd never start again. We've all got to go and we can't choose how but we can reduce our chances of things.

My dad smoked rollies for 50 years. When we were kids, he used to roll his fags and us kids would fight over who got to lick the paper. My mum used to smoke a fag without ever taking it out of her mouth – it used to fascinate me, watching her smoke it until the ash was massively huge, then with a flick of her head, she's ping it into the ashtray. Classy family ours!

But then my dad's friend John, his best friend, a bus driver from St Lucia, got cancer. From diagnosis to when he died only took around three months. I never forget the look of my dad when he came back from seeing him – he was just grey, grey from the horror of watching him slip away so horribly, an all consuming, terrible thing. And my dad, 50 years a smoker, just gave up, just like that. I was so proud of him, it was almost the best thing he could've done for his friend.

You should think to yourself that you've passed the point of no return, that's it now. You don't smoke anymore. All this evangelical bullshit people say about smoking, you've passed all the big tests and you're done with it. And you know why you've done with it too. You should be proud of yourself.

Still think your pork pie sauce is a northern boy's runny HP – you wanna try a bit of liquer, that'll put hairs on your chest. x

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:55 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

So glad you gave up. My dad used to smoke, he'd been coughing for years but finally went to the doctors. He had one lung removed last November and has just finished a course of chemo, the cancer has completely gone. I never want to see that happen to anyone else, it was horrific both for him and the rest of us.

On a brighter note I adore Hendos. Fortunately it's nothing like Worcestershire Sauce, that's good in things but not on its own like Hendos :D

Think dinner which I'm about to start is going to be drenched in it :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:19 pm 
Regular

I lost my dad to the fags when he was only 48... After several heart attacks. I still smoked when I was younger though, idiot that i was. Had to marry a teetotal vegan non smoker to cure me of that one. Bit of a shock all round. Didn't seem to get me off the Jack Daniels though. And the bloody Marys ... On a lighter note At least the vegan will like the hendos when I finally find some...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:23 pm 
Regular

And ps Richard , quitting is huge, best thing you've ever done mate. Other than the music of course. Seriously it's tough - that's some will!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:51 am 
Too much time on my hands

Very well done - your family will be so pleased. I have never smoked but supported my husband when he was giving up. He was tempted when in the pub (when you could smoke in pubs) but what used to break him were periods of stress, particularly when acting. He'd always go back then so particularly well done that you got through the tour without giving in.

Coincidentally I'm going to my uncle's funeral on Thursday. Died of lung cancer and yes, he smoked all his life. He also worked down the pit so that might have contributed. My dad and his four brothers all had heart attacks in their 50s and 60s. Three survived and two died - the ones who didn't survive were the two smokers. The hospital called my dad's heart attack 'massive' but he survived it and had never smoked, even when he was in the army in the second world war. I suppose we all have the same sorts of stories but I'm so pleased my husband managed to give up. He is 48 now and that's coming up to the dangerous age for men and hearts and I would be so worried if he still smoked.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 619 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 42  Next