Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Singing
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:23 pm 
Newcomer

Hi Richard, i was sitting in the sun today playing my guitar, opened my mouth to sing and realised i sounded like a strangled cat :( :shock: how did you get off the ground singing, was it lessons or just natural ability?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:54 pm 
The Boss

never had a lesson,i would be so embarressed really,i just open me gob and thats what comes out,i sang along to Elvis,Fats Domino,Sanford Clark and loads of blues and country singers too numerous to mention,also a singer called Ray Price was a big influence,i think everyone can sing just how many times other people told you couldn't as a child,we all have a voice box,a throat and that so its all there i think most of it is state of mind.I was made to audition for the school choir when i was a lad but i thought it was for squares so when it was my turn to walk up to the piano,the teacher asked me to sing a really simple scale and i deliberately sang off key he said"hopeless Hawley back to the playground for you"i was well happy mate.Don't let em tell you you sound shit just close your eyes and think of someone you love and i am sure you'll get a boss sounding song to suit the way you sing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:26 am 
Newcomer

That is some stellar advice, better than the stuff i get at my school -the music teacher focusses on the guys who have more obivous 'talent', so no time for work in progressers like myself :x i always sing along to beatles, beach boys and johnny cash records, so perhaps thats what i should be aiming for... no challenge there then :roll: Thanks very much Richard!:thumleft:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:34 pm 
Waitrose Warrior

if you can talk and you can hum then you can sing :)

anyone can do it but if you want to sound good then you have to practice practice practice...and warm up

tip - whiskey loosens your throat up and slackens the vocal cords :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:42 pm 
The Boss

it also makes you sing out of tune,i NEVER sing with alcohol anymore as i have to listen to that mini album when i was shit faced the whole way through,ignore everyone including me,and you'll be fine,they said wordsworth was thick,Einstein was dissslexhick.and that,and rock n roll was a fad.

wrong........trust thi sen and the songs you love

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:47 pm 
Waitrose Warrior

you're right, if i have to sing after more than two pints then I can forget it, but a little doesn't hurt, however if pissed then its a different matter altogether :roll: :*:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:10 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

I have tried to work out what appeals to me in richards voice, i cant quiet decide if its the way he sings his lyrics with meaning and honesty , or its that rasp in his voice that you hear in certain notes, maybe its a combination of both, whatever it is it certainly works and thats without any singing lessons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:54 pm 
Waitrose Warrior

stevo wrote:
I have tried to work out what appeals to me in richards voice, i cant quiet decide if its the way he sings his lyrics with meaning and honesty , or its that rasp in his voice that you hear in certain notes, maybe its a combination of both, whatever it is it certainly works and thats without any singing lessons.

i like how his singing is relaxed and conversational and just generally sounds good

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:10 pm 
Hawleytastic!

You just know he sings from the heart and that what you hear is what you get - a genuinely nice guy with a 'real' voice. You just get the feeling from Richard's music that he's been and done everything he sings about :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:02 pm 
Waitrose Warrior

Jan H wrote:
he's been and done everything he sings about :D

as far as my opinion goes you have to know what you're singing about and to be singing from experience, as Scott Walker used to say people can always tell the "genuine" part of a singer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:33 pm 
Too much time on my hands

Hi Richard, resurrected this thread cos I'm interested to know whether you think a singer has to be pitch perfect to be worthy of a listen. I think you are well pitched but there are many respected artists (lou Reed, Thom yorke, Dylan..etc.) who don't hit the note too well. what's your view on it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:37 pm 
Site Admin

I suspect a lot of singers of today are not pitch perfect, but we tend to accept it.

Then again, there are some singers out there who don't deserve the title singer.

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:13 pm 

these days you have the extremes of the Simon Cowell tutored types who sing well but don't do much on the creativity front and the more creative rough edged non tutored school. Of course there are many naturally well pitched singers around but as you say people are not that bothered. I think there is validity in both. I was listening to some Beatles masters the other day and if you isolate the vocals , they could be rather shaky in places. Adam Faith wasn't exactly well pitched either...Lord Sutch..the list goes on.guess it depends on whether you like the content

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:44 pm 
The Boss

but if you think about it the beatles and all those artists you mentioned had ONE take it makes their records seem all the more amazing,all the vocals you hear on radio or those crap boy/girl band records are ALL auto tuned to death and it takes them loads of takes to get it anywhere near in tune because

they are shit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:12 pm 

ah yes the autotune business...that's another point but what's your view of those artists who don't hit pitch too well and aren't always that bothered. Thom Yorke; Lou
Reed; Dylan;Sinead O'connor; Pete doherty;Hendrix I guess and the like? The boy bands are i guess just some eye candy for young girls but do you think shaky tonality takes away from a song? Is it just Laziness? Or an important part of their vocal character?

Reason I ask is I went back to music after some years out with illness. I had been a singer guitarist. When I returned I found I had lost most of my mid-range (which is where I used to sing) and my breath was not always strong enough
to hold pitch. SO I didn't record any of my vocals for some years, just producing instrumental chill-out music. Then after a relationship breakdown I just had something to say and started singing regardless. Now I alaways have to make the decision of just let it go knowing it's a little off in places or do take after take after take until i get close. I'm just not sure whether that kills the spirit of a song.