Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Glasgow tonight...
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:51 pm 
Too much time on my hands

I can't believe it's the first time I've seen Richard live. It certainly won't be the last. I was completely blown away, especially by 'The Ocean' at the end. Cried through 'Lady Solitude'. & 'Something Is'. & 'Cole's Corner'.

& Richard, I was mightily impressed by the glitterball the first time I was in the ABC, too. Apparently it's the main reason Hayseed Dixie keep playing there.

Anyway, thank you, thank you, thank you. Loved watching Richard & co getting right into the music. I have rediscovered my love for life. :D xxxxx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:59 am 
Hawley Groupie

Glad you enjoyed it Aurora.
[remember it was me who told you Richard was playing in Glasgow.]
Saw him at the Hull venue, going to try and see him again at York.
Yep, he was THAT GOOD!
8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:46 am 

Indeed it was you. So thank you lots & lots. & lots more. Enjoy York if you go!

THANK YOU :*:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:35 am 
Newcomer

Really great show tonight, Richard, best I've seen in ages. Bummer about the ABC "curfew" :x Glad I managed to get me some Hawley Hendersons Relish at last!!

Hope to see you back in Glasgow very very soon, and all the best for the rest of the tour. Thanks again for the great show, LOVED IT!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:45 am 
Hawleytastic!

Aye canny night-was at the bar and Jack Scott was playing! Pity "lonesome town" and "oh my love" where cut do to the bloody curfew-good crowd though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:50 pm 
The Boss

yes that was a shame we couldn't play longer we were into it last night the weirdest thing for me was playing whilst a metal band were playing downstairs that was well strange,great crowd and i just love Glasgow,Sauchiehall st was INSANE last night thanks to the folks who came to the show much appreciated i was talking to the promoter after the show who was very keen to have us back in Scotland soon :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:34 pm 

We're very keen to have you back, too :D
I was right at the front & there was a photographer crawling around in front of me - that was pretty amusing. & the guy next to me was writing down the setlist. All in all, a very enjoyable night.

& my parents are converts. Oh yes. :wink:

Post subject: ABC Gig
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:55 pm 
Newcomer

A pure dead brilliant show last night!!
We really enjoyed it and it'll be great to have you back in Glasgow!! But please don't use the ABC because
at the weekend it becomes a club - the reason for the curfew
there was also no seats out for that reason and as you said your audience is getting older!!
It reminded me that a few years ago we went to a John Martyn concert in the ABC (he has a very large, loyal Glasgow following) and although there were seats it was ruined by drunken fans shouting requests and heckling him throughout - Glaswegians just can't resist a bar! He returned to the Concert Hall for his Farewell Tour where there is still a bar on site and comfy seats for us aging fans and that was a great night! Something to think about when you're organising a return.
Again what a great show!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:59 pm 
The Boss

firstly welcome Babs and thanks for the lovely words,i agree about the ABC i was pissed off about the noise from down stairs,the scenes i witnessed leaving the building were like something out of an orgy in ancient Rome it was insane but i find such things funny cos its only folks enjoying themselves,i will probably play again very soon Scotland in general is somewhere i have always liked playing cos the people are earthy and in general very friendly from my experience,i think Sheffield and Glasgow share a lot historically in common.Best wishes to you ..>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:03 pm 

Welcome, Babs! I love the ABC in general. We couldn't really hear anything from downstairs, just a general kind of vibrating floor occasionally. & I prefer standing gigs to seating ones - maybe cos I'm really small so it's dead easy to get to the front :*:

Anyway, I like the idea of cities with a proper industrial past. Glasgow's good for that local pride thing & Sheffield seems to be like that too. I'd like to go there sometime...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:11 pm 
The Boss

It has a lot of pride,i went in the day to the Clyde ship building museum i found it heart wrenching to see how much had disapeared in Glasgow i knew it was a lot but the sheer scale of the ship yards astounded me it is exactly like the scale of the steel industry in Sheffield and Sheffield is a hard town like Glasgow and the people share that same"friendly aggressiveness"if you know what i mean by that,well anyhow i will be back soon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:13 pm 

Yeah, the kind of people who growl to say hello. Look like they're gonna eat you but call each other 'love'.

Oh, by the way, when you asked if there were any ship builders in the room & people shouted? I don't know about them, but my dad would like to make it known that he really did work in a shipyard. :*:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:17 pm 
The Boss

bless his heart i have a great admiration for men that worked in the industrial age,i saw what it could do to a man the steel industry broke many a man in Sheffield but also made most of them what they are as individuals no nonsense hard men with soft centre's well..........ALL my family worked in steel or nursing so i think i'm a bit of both if you understand me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:19 pm 

Yeah, of course. I just love to see people with a sense of pride in who they are, & I think you get that a lot with anybody who worked in a shipyard round here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:21 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I worked in tyne dock ship yard in South Shields-it's flattened now.