Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:36 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Dublin vs. York
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:12 am 
Hawley Groupie

Well, York is by far the bonnier theatre, and Mr H and the band were brilliant last night in York.

But, (it may have been the guinness as I didn't drink last night) I felt there was a certain spark at Dublin that you only get once in a while. The main thing I thought was that the lack of a standing section really takes something away from the gig. The people down at the front show real appreciation between songs but during them they have little choice but to sit there holding their chins.

What do you reckon Mr H if you're reading this?

Don't get me wrong, as I'm not in any way slating a fantastic gig last night, just probably unfair to compare to Dublin!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:22 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Well, you started the comparison :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:25 am 
Hawley Groupie

Just trying to spark a bit of opinion - that's what message boards are for! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:18 am 
Hawley Groupie

Went to the Hull gig and thouroghly enjoyed it.
And after hearing about the Irish gigs, i was abit concerned that York would be a damp squib after these.
However i think for that type of [seated theatre] venue it didn't do itself too bad.
But reckon, no it wouldn't be up there with the Irish gigs
[poss to do with the severe lack of guiness]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:44 pm 
The Boss

they are totally different gigs aren't they?After my Leicester experience though i was thinking i will never play in theatres again cos the audience were awful apart from at the end it was like playing the lobotomy ward,but i thought last night was great i do feel for folks sat down if they don't like it but theatre's have a lovely vibe and i do like playing them,i have learned,as you do in life,that theatre audiences will in general be a little older and less inclined to go mental which is fine by me now.They vary though there's no hard and fast rule,Hull was amazing and that was seated as on the last tour were Liverpool and Manchester which were amazing audiences,i must tell you though that Vicar st in Dublin the other night was a one off gig i have rarely,as a solo artist,played in front an audience THAT mental it was like doing a rock gig it reminded me of the old Pulp shows at festivals totally full on and i just hope we rose to the occasion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:58 pm 
Hawley Groupie

Richard Hawley wrote:
,i must tell you though that Vicar st in Dublin the other night was a one off gig i have rarely,as a solo artist,played in front an audience THAT mental it was like doing a rock gig it reminded me of the old Pulp shows at festivals totally full on and i just hope we rose to the occasion.

Without doubt you all did!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:02 pm 
Site Admin

there is something about Vicar St, it was exactly the same for the Hawley gig last September and pretty much every gig I have seen there too Wilco before Christmas was mental aswell and the clostest thing to a religious experience you'll find in terms of going to gigs. Its a purpose bulit music venue too, great sound and there is plenty of seating but its built so that no matter where you are in the place you get a really great view and if you are feeling comfortable a few beers the band are playing great you are going to respond and thats what creates the good vibe or atmosphere or whatever you want to call it. Its pretty much the perfect venue and that was pretty much the perfect gig.

For where you can't go
Mustang horses, champagne glasses
Anything frail anything wild
It's the price of living motion, what's beautiful is broken
And grace is just the measure of a fall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:15 pm 
Geordie Admin Dominatrix

I complained about the (perceived) lack of enthusiam at the Sage in Newcastle a few months ago - the band were wonderful but I felt a bit let down by the understated audience reactions until the end. I didn't really know what to expect audience wise last night but it was much more the thing - genuine, consistent, warm appreciation, which is what the lads deserve.

It obviously just varies venue to venue....the atmosphere last night was fantastic, suited the music (and the jokes!) perfectly! I don't know if there are any Newcastle people reading this but I think we should campaign for Richard to do the Journal Tyne Theatre- it would be perfect. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:53 pm 
Newcomer

maggie wrote:
I don't know if there are any Newcastle people reading this but I think we should campaign for Richard to do the Journal Tyne Theatre- it would be perfect. :D

...or that little room at the Carling Academy where Cherry Ghost played. Cor, that'd be cosy :shock: :*:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:55 pm 
Geordie Admin Dominatrix

Absotively!

Post subject: comparisons
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:13 pm 
Newcomer

Give it over, we Irish love our music, of course Dublin is better! Richard Hawley is a geographical misfit - there's too much Irish in his veins not to rock the gaff! If we can love Jack Charlton, Richard and the band have it easy, they're always welcome. Tog go bog e! :*:

Post subject: Re: comparisons
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:16 pm 
Hawleytastic!

mairse wrote:
Tog go bog e!

Pardon? :*:

Post subject: pardon
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:22 pm 
Newcomer

Sorry, it means take it easy - direct translation is take it softly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:27 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Ah! :D

Post subject: pardon
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:35 pm 
Newcomer

It's difficult to find words to describe the talent - AWESOME - or how you float on air coming from a gig, you want to love everyone - not in the biblical sense! :*: