Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:47 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:51 pm 
Too much time on my hands

i'm partial to a bit of debussy, I have a redio next the bed tuned to Radio 4, when that's too depressing, which is every day, i turn the dial to radio 3, i've heard some great stuff, i've also had to turn it back pretty shrpish too, heard someone who combines old and new called Christina Pluhar, which is, to quote kevin keegan and Denis wise "fandabbydozee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:36 am 
Regular poster

luckyman wrote:
Why does everyone seem to grovelingly say that they know nothing about 'classical music' ? - a kind of apology , maybe frightened of looking Illetist or 'high brow' ? There's nothing to know, all you do is put the CD in the machine and listen - just like any other music .I know nothing about blues music but all I have to do is listen ...
Couldnt agree with you more,we are all on this forum firstly because of our love of music,it seems with so called classical music we have to justify our liking of it somehow.Think we should get rid of these labels in music,as you say just put the cd in and enjoy!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:38 am 
Regular poster

erpisle norrid wrote:
i'm partial to a bit of debussy, I have a redio next the bed tuned to Radio 4, when that's too depressing, which is every day, i turn the dial to radio 3, i've heard some great stuff, i've also had to turn it back pretty shrpish too, heard someone who combines old and new called Christina Pluhar, which is, to quote kevin keegan and Denis wise "fandabbydozee"

Sorry, was that Depussy. Cause i`m dewith yer on that one. My favourite piece is the one they use in that great film Platoon. Cant remember what its called. Anyone ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:17 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Luckyman and andygunn, I know what you mean but I think for many people the problem may be knowing which CD to put in the machine. If you are not familiar with classical music, how on earth do you know where to start, with several centuries of music to choose from? It took me a long time to discover the things I liked, even though I had the advantage of working in record shops for most of the '80s.

...which is how I know, despite having not seen Platoon, that you're probably thinking of Barber's Adagio for Strings, Sharky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:42 pm 
Too much time on my hands

listening to an orchestra live can be quite an uplifting experience too, our local lot, the Halle, not only sound good, but have the reputation for drinking more than most orchestras, the only thing is, last time I went they played the national anthem, avery uninspiring ditty, I also like Gilbert & Sullivan operas, grest tunes and quite witty, albiet a tad reactionary

Post subject: yep
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:13 am 
Regular poster

Yes , that`s the one Blue Moon , ta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:56 am 
Regular poster

blue moon wrote:
Luckyman and andygunn, I know what you mean but I think for many people the problem may be knowing which CD to put in the machine. If you are not familiar with classical music, how on earth do you know where to start, with several centuries of music to choose from? It took me a long time to discover the things I liked, even though I had the advantage of working in record shops for most of the '80s.

...which is how I know, despite having not seen Platoon, that you're probably thinking of Barber's Adagio for Strings, Sharky.
Agree with you blue moon,classical music scans a great variety,can be quite daunting. I am not an expert on classical music but listen to classic fm when i can.current fav.songs of the auvergne-bailero(canterloube)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:23 pm 
Hawleytastic!

blue moon wrote:

I used to use my local record library , taking out a few albums a week - I slowly manged to tune my tastes to certain composers .Also I used to listen to BBC Radio 3 quite a lot (Classical FM tends to play only segments of popular pieces - better to hear the whole thing ) before it dumbned-down .I went to a lot of classical concerts and became familiar with a lot of stuff, sometimes taking a gamble and going to something I had not heard before(Kurtag etc) .A few years ago the Edinburgh Festival were doing Wagner's Ring Cycle in yearly installments - got my tickets (cheaper than going to football), went along and was blown away by it all.Take a gamble bluemoon and try these avenues , there will be something out there just waiting for you to explore and enjoy . 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:55 am 
Regular poster

Nice way of putting my exact thoughts on classical music entirely. thank you