Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:42 pm 
Hawleytastic!

...according to an item on the news.
My arse!
Friendliest in the world (who says???)???
I'm one of the most patriotic people in the world, but that doesn't alter the fact that we as a nationality have become amongst the greediest, as we've got richer. Nothing worse than nouveau riche. And that greed has bred selfishness, indifference and downright coldness.
It's sad, cos a few years ago, I'd have agreed whole-heartedly (and, of course, lots of us still are warm and welcoming)... but there's no doubting the fact that we've changed. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:46 pm 
i beg to differ i find particular irish people very friendly, very very verrrrrrry friendly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:26 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I find generalisation of whole populations very puzzling and *very* annoying. And apparently all Americans are thick aren't they?

Friendly? Yes the IRA & INLA were weren't they? And the bastard that nicked my girlfriends money out of the hotel room I'm sure I wouldn't have liked.

Unfriendly? Eoin seems alright, never met him but I gather he's a nice bloke. & my mate Michael's a top lad.

Extend the examples. There's lovely folks & idiots in every neighbourhood, never mind countries.

Every time I've been to Paris, where we all know it's dwellers have a reputation for being a right set of surly bastards, I've never come across *anyone* over the top rude, in fact the vast majority were the opposite. London however... but that's just me & my experience. It gets me goat this sort of thing.

Tut. :evil:

- http://www.chrismsaunders.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:39 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Richard Hawley wrote:
compared to other countries i would put Ireland up with the most open people on earth that i have met

Nice to hear that!
In my experience, British people are the friendliest. Truly.
There's definitely still a value on sterling, whereas here, you get little kids whipping 50 euro notes like they're 50p. Irish kids have definitely become more spoilt.... and no time ago, we were all scratching out an existence.

Of course you can say there are nice and nasty people of all nationalities

I gave a lift during the summer to a French girl who's been all over Ireland, been coming here for years. She agreed with me when I asked her if she'd noticed a decline in the level of willingness to help and be generally nice to people.

I adore my country. Think we have a real quirkiness as a nationality.
However, as an adult who has lived here all my life, I have noticed a change in how people are in the last few years. I think that entitles me to an opinion on this matter, Snapper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:06 pm 
Regular

We've got more cynical, Rita, true but we still give a good gig even if we do get the long or the short of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:18 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Rita wrote:
I have noticed a change in how people are in the last few years. I think that entitles me to an opinion on this matter, Snapper.

I wasn't having a pop at you, it was the idea of the survey. Sure, everyone has an opinion and is entitled to it, but logically only of the people they've actually met. Hence my point and by disagreeing with the original survey aren't you proving it? A snapshot poll of people who've been to Ireland says it's the friendliest country in the world (have the respondees been everywhere in the world then?!? And met everyone there??), but if they'd happened to randomly ask you and people with the same opinon of you it'd be a totally different outcome. It's a meaningless exercise whatever the result.

Sorry, just all that Irish are friendly, Scots are tight, French are rude, Americans are thick, English are yobs, and to go one further, Muslims are terrorists, Africans are of lesser intelligence (in the news today!), and one further still, kids these days are evil little gets & women are the weaker sex etc etc etc mentality that bugs me *no end*.

Generalisations, I hate em. I know it's a relatively trite example I've jumped on here but I think the world would get along a lot better if we all just reacted to each other accordingly as individuals, rather than to any preconceived notions attached to a particular group we may happen to belong to.

Maybe I should leave it there? :D (gets off soapbox..)

- http://www.chrismsaunders.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:25 pm 
Site Admin

You forgot that London has the best transport system in the world - funny that, I travel on London's transport system at least 10 times a week and I would definitely disagree with that statement. :wink:

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:30 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I was a little quick off the mark in my rant!!!
Had just heard it on the news. It irked me.
Irony is, I gave a similar argument to yours (Snapper), when recently the results of another "survey" listed the things most important to Irish women..... (wait for it): make up and other cosmetics ranked as one of the top most important things to Irish women!!!
WHICH women exactly??? (was what I asked!). How insulting was that? Another generalisation coming up (you'll kill me!!!) but I reckon a lot of Irish women are pretty intelligent (certainly most of the MANY I know) and none of them would rate f%%king cosmetics as one of the most important things in their lives. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:36 pm 
I need a life

I went to Ireland for the first time, a few month ago, and I most say I felt very welcomed, but I guess this was only a two week holidays. I don't know how is to lived and work in Ireland most of the year, so I guess, as every other country, there are pros and cons. And yes, Ireland is getting richer, and that can be more harm than good. Maybe you Irish are mean and greedy between yourselves, but you are certainly very kind and warm with a stranger, I felt that and is lovely .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:38 pm 
I need a life

Rita wrote:
I was a little quick off the mark in my rant!!!
Had just heard it on the news. It irked me.
Irony is, I gave a similar argument to yours (Snapper), when recently the results of another "survey" listed the things most important to Irish women..... (wait for it): make up and other cosmetics ranked as one of the top most important things to Irish women!!!
WHICH women exactly??? (was what I asked!). How insulting was that? Another generalisation coming up (you'll kill me!!!) but I reckon a lot of Irish women are pretty intelligent (certainly most of the MANY I know) and none of them would rate f%%king cosmetics as one of the most important things in their lives. :evil:

That cosmetics survey thing is quite offensive actually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:47 am 
Regular poster

Big Louise wrote:
I went to Ireland for the first time, a few month ago, and I most say I felt very welcomed, but I guess this was only a two week holidays. I don't know how is to lived and work in Ireland most of the year, so I guess, as every other country, there are pros and cons. And yes, Ireland is getting richer, and that can be more harm than good. Maybe you Irish are mean and greedy between yourselves, but you are certainly very kind and warm with a stranger, I felt that and is lovely .
I have gained much experience of Ireland over the years (born in england but brought up in an irish family) agree mainly with your coments,there are good and bad in any race.However there is a certain Irish way unique in itself,that i have not come across in any other nation, laugh if you will there is an Irish bar in most cities in the world, craic on!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:27 am 
Newcomer

Rita wrote:
My arse!
I'm one of the most patriotic people in the world, but that doesn't alter the fact that we as a nationality have become amongst the greediest, as we've got richer. Nothing worse than nouveau riche. And that greed has bred selfishness, indifference and downright coldness.
It's sad, cos a few years ago, I'd have agreed whole-heartedly (and, of course, lots of us still are warm and welcoming)... but there's no doubting the fact that we've changed. :(

Oh dear, are your panties in a twist?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:47 am 
Hawleytastic!

Yours might be if Rita gets hold of you after a comment like that! :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:38 am 
I need a life

darkness77 wrote:
Rita wrote:
My arse!

Oh dear, are your panties in a twist?

Maybe if stayed longer I could of seeing the difference.At least for a week I was lucky to meet nice people in Cork ... Oh Feck I'm sad now :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:19 pm 
Hawleytastic!

snapper wrote:

Generalisations, I hate em

Oh I don't know, I think you'll find some generalisations aren't so bad...

http://www.soundsxp.com