Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:30 pm 
Newcomer

At the weekend we learnt that Morrissey took The Word magazine to court for a review by David Quantick that -in the words of Morrissey's lawyers- "could have been construed to suggest that Mr Morrissey was a racist, held racist opinions or that (as the child of migrant parents) he was a hypocrite".

Can I ask you guys (and obviously Richard!!! He's the reason I'm on this forum in the first place :wink: ) what you think??? And to Richard: are you still interested in Morrissey's music the same way you were into The Smiths?

Given that Morrissey is also forking out sheloads to sue the NME...is he going the right way about it?

Personally, I'm increasingly put off by him. And I'm afraid (read this article here) by sueing a reviewer for calling him "a hypocrite", may set a very dangerous precedent in the world of music reviews. Granted some journalists are proper di"&s, but Morrissey is hardly the one to talk about tact (and denigrating characters).

Perhaps he should focus more on writing a different tune and preferably not about himself woe-betide-me-me-me-me-me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:13 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I would.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:25 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Oh, and I'd also sue you too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:09 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I'd sue the NME for what it's become sure.

Until the transcript of that NME interview comes out in court (which is I suspect is what The Word guy was basing his viewpoint on) I suppose it remains to be seen whether they should have been sued. Having said that the logical extension of that behavior would be for a bunch of carnivores to mount a class action suit against our Stephen for defamation.

He'd really help himself if he clarified what he thought he said & meant in that interview if he thought he'd been quoted out of context. But he hasn't, he's just had a paddy. I'd like to think he's not a racist but I can't help thinking he's been at least a bit of an idiot to be drawn into that debate in the first place.

- http://www.chrismsaunders.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:01 am 
Regular poster

I read Quantick's review when it came out and I was surprised when it came out that Morrissey had sued over it. While it was by no means a positive review, it hardly seemed something that was worth going to court over.

Quantick's basic point seemed to be that Morrissey has made recent comments saying that he thinks its a shame what is happening to Britain and that immigration was playing a part in it. All Quantick was really doing was referencing Morrissey's comments in the NME ("Also, with the issue of immigration, it's very difficult because although I don't have anything against people from other countries, the higher the influx into England the more the British identity disappears") and pointing out that they seem to be pretty odd remarks from someone who is a son of immigrants to Britain themselves.

There was nothing really in it saying that he thought Morrissey was a racist, but just that it was hyprocritical for a son of immigrants to complain about immigrants.

If anything Quantick was more annoyed about and focused his review on how he think's Morrissey has become rubbish, both on record and live...

The NME case is a whole other kettle of fish...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:03 am 
I.....Need.....A.....Life

Does it really matter.......he will always be brilliant!

Post subject: The Word
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:32 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

I don't think that review had anything really to do with Morrissey's music, it was a personal attack on Morrissey and it was obvious that Quantick held a very personal dislike of Morrisey and Morrissey was right to sue them even though they have until recently always been pro Morrissey and he has graced their front cover three times but I think that it is the eNMEy that he is really gunning for.

Even today, 25 years or so after the first Smiths record Morrissey is still vitally important, there is no other artist around like him who always has somthing relevant to say.

It also seems to be forgotten that Morrissey is still making great music and is still a force to be reckoned with live. "You are the Quarry", his second last studio album for me is the best of his career just behind "Vauxhall and I" & his last studio album "Ringleader of the Tormentors" is also a very good album but I must admit the greatest hits album is a bit patchy, he did not include his greatest ever single "November spawned a monster".

A duet between Richard & Morrissey would be great, the single Morrissey did with Siouxsie "Interlude" is a beautiful record. Have you bumped into him at all in recent years Richard?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:55 am 
Newcomer

Sue, you'd have to make me bankrupt I'm afraid :D cos there's bugger all I own...Richar's records maybe ??? :wink:

I'd like to clarify how much of a Morrissey fan I have been. I first heard his stuff aged 13, in 1989, and since then I got completely mental over his music. Until his comeback, I'm afraid he's lost his inspiration, that's my opinion, and I guess it's normal when you live like a millionaire. You ain't gonna get the same type of world you did while living in a bedsit in Whalley Range.
(Erm...by the way I'm unashamed to say that 'Meat Is Murder' played certainly a part in myself becoming a veggie :oops: )

However I totally agree with Hot Charity and his message above.

Do you really wanna back a culture of sueing left right and centre?
Can you imagine the amount of rockstars and musicians who would have had to spend half of their career in court? Jarvis, for one. The amount of defamatory crap he got over the Michael Jackson escapade, or the Sorted For E's & Wizz "drug" thing... Or George Michael, or Boy george, or a number of others! And didn't Morrissey himself come up with some terribly offensive remarks over the years about people's personality, career and looks???

Which, I add, is part and parcel of "being a public figure" and an opinionated one. You give and you take.

Also, though I stopped buying the NME 10 years ago (and for a number of reasons, I'm now able to afford loo paper), I see it as follows: Morrissey was asked whether he'd ever move back to Britain. He answered no, and even though he has nothing against them, it's partly because it's lost its identity due to the high influx of immigrants.

This is a comment I'd like to quote from the Morrissey-solo website.

"Only in England could a public figure say that he wouldn't move back to the UK because the country had been "thrown away" by being "swamped" by immigrants: and then force a small impecunious defendant into making a grovelling apology, when they pointed out that these are words most commonly associated with those on the far Right".

I mean, he sued The Word for calling him a HYPOCRITE! Are we fu&&%n joking or what????? Talk about losing the plot...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:28 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I would not wipe my arse with the N.M.E. its a fucking rag. Music journos tend to be middle class wankers as far as i can tell. I've seen people like Nick Kent on tv and films talking shite... tossers the lot of them.
Who are they to say an artists work is good or not? It's all down to personal opinion, so what they say or write means fuck all. REM's latest release has been slagged off by some, but a coked up little journo shit didn't stop me buying it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:47 pm 
Regular poster

eccles wrote:
I would not wipe my arse with the N.M.E. its a fucking rag. Music journos tend to be middle class wankers as far as i can tell. I've seen people like Nick Kent on tv and films talking shite... tossers the lot of them.
Who are they to say an artists work is good or not? It's all down to personal opinion, so what they say or write means fuck all.

If what they write means fuck all then there's no need to get so worked up about it ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:26 am 
Hawleytastic!

Hot Charity wrote:
If what they write means fuck all then there's no need to get so worked up about it

I know mate, thats wot corned beef sandwiches does to me. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:08 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

the nme's a rag that deserves to be bent over a barrel. whether its a very sensible decision for moz to be carrying on is questionable but as he is anyway im on his side

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:43 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Johnfrom'south! wrote:
the nme's a rag that deserves to be bent over a barrel. whether its a very sensible decision for moz to be carrying on is questionable but as he is anyway im on his side

Well, one down...

http://www.itsmorrisseysworld.com/story.php?newsID=17