Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The enormity of it all
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:01 pm 
Too much time on my hands

Hi,
Hope this hasn't been asked before.
Do you ever get hit by the enormity of having your music playing in homes and cars all over the world and being part of the 'soundtrack to people's lives' (much as i hate that phrase, it's pretty apt)?
I imagine that it feels quite bizarre. Have you got used to it yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:49 pm 
The Boss

it is a bit freaky sometimes,i walk in shops,supermarkets and the like and i constantly hear the stuff being played but mostly i feel good about it,i don't really think about it much but when suddenly someone recognises me that really freaks me out not always but most of the time,i don't feel any different inside i am still the same speky get from Sheff,i am on the whole glad its taken off so much its still a huge surprise to me i didn't expect anyone to actually like what i do so i do scratch my head at it all.Can't wait for the Albert hall that is going to be the thrill of my life i reckon hope i can live up to it thats all,i love writing and playing live the best most of the other stuff that goes with that is a load of shite,i am VERY aware of myself and constantly monitor my behaviour towards it all and people i would hate it if my head got too big and i stopped relating to people i want to just be normal and enjoy it for what it is,a big thrill that folk are actually buying my music and seem to genuinely like it for its emotion not for hype or false bullshit,the music is far far more important than me and hopefully because of the nature of its success,mostly i would say by word of mouth that it will be around long after i am gone which is what i wanted from the beginning,respect from my peers and REAL connection with people.human beans you know?real folk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 1:54 am 
Hawleytastic!

Really moved by that Richard, but distracted by need for the occasional full-stop. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 9:09 am 
I.....Need.....A.....Life

I mean.....who else would bother to contribute to a forum................................................? your music is truly great and I love your endless wit.........................

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 9:44 am 
Hawleytastic!

Richard Hawley wrote:
Can't wait for the Albert hall that is going to be the thrill of my life i reckon hope i can live up to it thats all

You'll be fine - a few pre-gig nerves are healthy I guess in a performer but you just need to remember that most of the forum members will be there rooting for you which hopefully will make you a bit more comfortable................... not that we expect a lowering of standards mind............. :*: :wink:

(er......... the standards bit was a joke by the way.......) :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:05 am 
Hawleytastic!

Richard Hawley wrote:
i am VERY aware of myself and constantly monitor my behaviour towards it all and people i would hate it if my head got too big and i stopped relating to people i want to just be normal and enjoy it for what it is,a big thrill that folk are actually buying my music and seem to genuinely like it for its emotion not for hype or false bullshit,the music is far far more important than me and hopefully because of the nature of its success,mostly i would say by word of mouth that it will be around long after i am gone which is what i wanted from the beginning,respect from my peers and REAL connection with people.human beans you know?real folk

Through your emotional songs and beautiful music............................. and just by being your self Richard ....................people like me(and I am sure I speak for many many more!!!) do REALLY feel that connection.....................and appreciate it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 1:17 pm 

Wow, thanks for the honest and insightful reply. i think it's fantastic that you communicate with people on this forum. Your music is beautiful and is a big part of my life now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 1:38 pm 
Hawleytastic!

jane wrote:
Through your emotional songs and beautiful music............................. and just by being your self Richard ....................people like me(and I am sure I speak for many many more!!!) do REALLY feel that connection.....................and appreciate it

I second that. Thank you, Richard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 10:31 pm 
Geordie Admin Dominatrix

Yes, the fact that so many people can relate to your lyrics and are touched by your music means that you're truly putting your heart and soul into what you do.....and that, along with the fact that you choose to be down to earth and human keeps us all on here and rooting for you! Don't you dare change, you grumpy bugger! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 10:47 pm 

edit - Wrong thread sorry...

http://www.myspace.com/stevebillybuckley

http://www.myspace.com/thewagontrain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:40 am 
Resident YouTube tech guru

I'm trying to get the right words here, without ending up sounding like a berk, but I can echo all the thoughts in this thread. I didn't want to use the word 'phenomenon', but that's seems to me what's going on here.
Perhaps, for me, it's just that the combination of a voice, style of writing & the astonishing honesty of the man behind the music, has touched something very deep in me. Perhaps I'm in shock that someone is doing something that I like! And that he turns out to be someone who doesn't dwell behind a public facade. I have been knocked for six, and still don't quite know what has hit me. And I don't consider myself prone to flights of fancy. Never dreamt I'd be going to an Albert Hall concert this year either. I've had to dig out the iron & everything... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:47 am 
Scone hoarding gobshite

catsandbooks wrote:
Really moved by that Richard, but distracted by need for the occasional full-stop. :wink:

:*: :*: :*:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:34 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Your music is absolutely beautiful, I am fairly late comer to your music but is was great getting the first four albums together and the Lady's Bridge came out shortly after that. All that great music in one go, amazing.

Incidently, you did an interview with Tony Fenton on 103FM here in Ireland back in Feb, well he constantly plays your music virtually every day which is great as we have a radio at work.

Post subject: Pedant alert!
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:38 pm 
Hawley Groupie

Sorry to be a pedantic twat but 'enormity' means a great evil or a great crime...it's a common error and we know what you mean.

Post subject: Re: Pedant alert!
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:52 pm 

Ricky wrote:
Sorry to be a pedantic twat but 'enormity' means a great evil or a great crime...it's a common error and we know what you mean.

Some people might see fame as such. But you said it...