Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:26 am 
Geordie Admin Dominatrix

Eoin wrote:
I can't grasp that one either, as a music fan rather than a player I can still relate to that quote
Quote:
it would be like giving up eating, drinking, smoking, loving, talking and whatyouwant all simultaneously
. Sometimes in life circumstances change where music, either playing or listening to music, going to gigs etc. becomes less of a priority either through changes in family or work life, certainly when I changed over to nights last year that was the case. I just didn't have the energy or lust for life in general and found myself listening to less and less music and missing gigs that in the past if I couldnt get time off to go to would erm, suddenly develop a strong cough at least over the phone when I'd call in. Anyway on days now , alls well loving music and discovering new music especially, 4 gigs lined up this week and never felt better. Hate to think music wouldnt be such a biig part in my life as it is now

I can go with that - like a lot of people I was completely defined by music when I was younger - I loved (and still do) not only listening to it and choosing different tracks to suit my mood but also the technicalities of it all. I know Richard dislikes the 'uniform' that goes with certain types of music but to me that's just another source of fascination - why do people that listen to a certain genre of music tend to dress a certain way? what came first, the creole earring and the shell suit or the hip hop track? As I've grown older life has interfered - Glastonbury, in your thirties with two kids doesn't have the same appeal as jumping on the back of someone's bike and going to Blackbush when your 17 - but music is still a massive part of my life. I might have grown up and moved on but I've adapted my dependence (if that's the right word :? :? ) rather than outgrowing my need for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:41 am 
Hawleytastic!

Jan H wrote:
Richard Hawley wrote:
i had it for ten years from being 16 to being 26 i had virtually no breaks at all apart from a couple of Peel sessions and two shit record deals with well dodgy labels fuck all happened it takes guts to hang in there...well...stupidity probably

I disagree! It takes justified self belief :wink:

deffinitely agree with you there Jan...............justified self belief.....and how sad if Richard had ever given up............no 'Lady's Bridge' or anything before it!!!!!!!!!.........what a waste of musical talent it would have been.......................and how depleted my cd collection would be :*:

Thankyou Richard for hanging in there!!!!!!......................... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:32 am 
The Boss

no problem it was a pressure

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:36 am 
Hawleytastic!

:*: :*: :*: :*: :*: ....................... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:18 pm 
Regular poster

I've got it down pat. With my first wages as a 16yr old I bought a starter electric guitar set from Argos which fair cleaned me out. My dad got wind of it and made me take it back for a refund. I bought a decent stereo and New Orders Substance on vinyl to go with it and sort of gave up on the idea of playing an instrument. Then last year, just before I turned 30 I thought sod it, and went and bought myself a bass guitar start-up affair. I now love nothing more than playing along (badly) to Hookys, Andy Rourkes, Colin Elliots bass riffs and get a massive rush when I suss out the difficult parts. I'm never going to amount to shit as a musician but I just love the pleasure of playing for fun.
I still rip my dad for making me take that guitar back. I could be a millionaire by now as I'm a right handsome bastard. Oh well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:39 am 
Hawleytastic!

I think with me and alot of people it's more a case of I need something to be passionate or entertained by. That's the main reason why I started getting into other things.

I can only look back on the past for so long personally before I crave for something in the present day. There is always some good stuff about. But in my opinion most music in the present day completely lacks any real culture, passion, spontaneity and all other qualities that make good music.

I do worry, I'm getting old and not interested anymore! and then all of a sudden there's a band like the Arctic Monkeys 1st LP will come along and I'm back with it...man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:04 am 
Hawleytastic!

I asked my mum if she wanted any new music for her birthday last year-she answered that she had, and I quote, "enough music". It still befuddles me nearly a year later-how the fuck does anyone come to that conclusion-alright we could argue that she's from a different era blah blah blah but it's the era that all the great shit came from, how can you ever have had enough??? I love her to bits but she drives me mental with her stone wall attitude.