Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:09 am 
Regular poster

Im fuckin sick of hearing/seeing tripe on the airwaves,t.v,local supermarket,e.t.c..... theres fewer and fewer outlets for bands to even rehearse and devolop in! basically unless you fit in to the wal-mart(ASDA) music for 10 year olds slot you've fucked it! yeah people have got myspace and other internet advertisement bases but no one makes any fuckin money from it and even if you do get signed to a label you are given about a year to produce 2 albums and a world tour out of ya arse or a manufactured band/pop idol fuckface will come and steal ya job! These shit bands i.e the feeling,kaiser chiefs, e.t.c... are the only music the majority of the general public are buying because its the only thing consumers are presented with as a choice! makes my fuckin blood boil!
arrrrrgggghhhhhh - I feel better now - that anger was causing me to feel quite ill inside!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:55 am 
Gimmie 6 !

i went into tesco next to work a few weeks back to pick up some new releases (it's more convenient than going to town..... or so i thought) and they didn't have either, i'm not talking some majorly obscure emo electro folk cross over here either.

Tesco is wank, cheap peanuts though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:01 am 
Original Hippy

the boy hoy wrote:
ithey didn't have either, i'm not talking some majorly obscure emo electro folk cross over here either.

I'm surprised. I thought they would have had Take That and The Feeling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:02 am 
The Boss

i totally agree,although it has always been so,people forget that not so long ago bands like the Smiths,Jesus and mary chain,Echo and the Bunnymen,Orange Juice etc couldn;t radio play AT ALL Radio one point blank refused to play the Smiths or any of those bands at all............and it is still the same.there was only a brief time.....they called it"Brit pop"(just another crop of great british bands to me but hey ho)that mainstream radio played a lot of guitar bands...the radio in Britain has been kind to me personally over the years which is surprising as my stuff is way out there in terms of the constraints of modern radio.but i share your frustration mate....as i turn it on and imediately turn it off usually cos it'll be some god awful pop idol shite,,,,,,,,,music that i accept isn't made for me.....whadda ya gonna do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:17 am 
I need a life

I agree completely, to the point that I refuse to listen the radio at all, unless is Mark Radcliffe or Mark Lamarr, I think the loss of dear John Peel, finished me off, that was like a big gust of fresh air, and I missed him so bloody much. The two Marks are Ok, but of course since they don't play that much mainstream shite, their programs are so late that I hardly manage to listen them, cause I fall asleep.
The music industry these days is awful, there's nothing interesting for me anymore, I just rely in my favorite bands or artists, hoping they continue at work, releasing great records to keep me going.

So please Boss keep going cause your one of the great few!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:35 am 
Regular poster

Big Louise wrote:
I agree completely, to the point that I refuse to listen the radio at all, unless is Mark Radcliffe or Mark Lamarr, I think the loss of dear John Peel, finished me off, that was like a big gust of fresh air, and I missed him so bloody much. The two Marks are Ok, but of course since they don't play that much mainstream shite, their programs are so late that I hardly manage to listen them, cause I fall asleep.
The music industry these days is awful, there's nothing interesting for me anymore, I just rely in my favorite bands or artists, hoping they continue at work, releasing great records to keep me going.

So please Boss keep going cause your one of the great few!

Yeah i agree mark radcliffe or mark lamarr are pretty good at what they do! I think I should have mentioned in my original statement that i didnt mean all radio and t.v - this was a bit of a genralisation in my monent of anger! Radio and t.v is pretty bad these days with the exception ofcourse of jools holland , culture show, radio 2, bbc 6 music,e.t.c.... and the old t.v/radio shows that are forever remembered!
I think the internet has brought millions of fantastic signed and unsigned bands into the limelight over the past few years and will continue to do so - but theres so many its like sivving through a giant shit storm, and no new bands are makin' any money unless they tour there arses off cuz you can download there music for free illegally off the net!
Im in a band and im totally skint!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:47 am 
Original Hippy

strangeman wrote:
I think the internet has brought millions of fantastic signed and unsigned bands into the limelight over the past few years and will continue to do so - but theres so many its like sivving through a giant shit storm,

That is why forums like this are invaluable. If you go to the Listen Here section you know that more often than not you are going to get a good steer, because it is essentially the net result of quite a lot of like minded people (at least in terms of music tastes) doing their own sieving.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:51 am 
Regular poster

Quote:
That is why forums like this are invaluable. If you go to the Listen Here section you know that more often than not you are going to get a good steer, because it is essentially the net result of quite a lot of like minded people (at least in terms of music tastes) doing their own sieving.

Yeah i totally agree with that- checked out fleet foxes from the listen here section earlier -brilliant band!!!!!
http://www.myspace.com/fleetfoxes
and also
http://www.myspace.com/thelisteners

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:01 pm 
Regular poster

Richard Hawley wrote:
i totally agree,although it has always been so,people forget that not so long ago bands like the Smiths,Jesus and mary chain,Echo and the Bunnymen,Orange Juice etc couldn;t radio play AT ALL Radio one point blank refused to play the Smiths or any of those bands at all............and it is still the same.there was only a brief time.....they called it"Brit pop"(just another crop of great british bands to me but hey ho)that mainstream radio played a lot of guitar bands...the radio in Britain has been kind to me personally over the years which is surprising as my stuff is way out there in terms of the constraints of modern radio.but i share your frustration mate....as i turn it on and imediately turn it off usually cos it'll be some god awful pop idol shite,,,,,,,,,music that i accept isn't made for me.....whadda ya gonna do?

"whadda ya gonna do?"
Eh up Richard, Im gonna keep playing my guitar cuz music is like a life sentence to me- its not even like i have a choice- i cant stop writing, playing and performing its the only thing that keeps me sane and happy! besides me bird like!
by the way big up for the culture show! nice guitar solo ! Also really like the lyrics to the fix- good song.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:15 pm 
The Boss

..>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:30 pm 
Regular poster

6Music always seemed like a pretty good alternative to the mainstream radio stations. Then George Lamb turned up; the jury's out...

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:14 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

CJ Noir wrote:
6Music always seemed like a pretty good alternative to the mainstream radio stations. Then George Lamb turned up; the jury's out...

:wink:

Totally agree. It's shameful that they shovelled Gideon Coe onto the late night spot. It's down to him that I first heard Mr. H on the 6 music hub...Always listen again I suppose. George Lamb gives me a headache :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:34 pm 
Hawleytastic!

there are pockets of people all over the place.

my pal mog does his own show sat 9 -11 am on a local radio in manc and he picks up loads of stuff i love.

http://www.allfm.org

i'm sure there's someone near you doing it too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:45 pm 
The Boss

i rarely listen to radio who is george lamb not heard of him?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:11 am 
Hawleytastic!

not forgetting marc riley on 6music of course