Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:13 pm 
Hawleytastic!

In lots of ways the "local" has been dying for a lot of years but has kind of held on until recently. There are so few pubs left that don't exude corporate ideas of "a good time". I've always loved pubs with a lino floor.........will always go into the bar rather than the lounge (a concept that's just about gone) and love the sense you get in some of the most unlikely looking places of a a sense of place and community. I used to drink in a pub most dinner times, kept mesel to mesel, read a book, the paper or occasionally pased the time of day with the old guys (and the owld lassies as well - rarer, but there) and was in there once and found myself as many a Scottish down and out has poetically remarked "financially embarrassed", barmaid didn't bat an eye and served me anyway - you don't get that from the corporate chain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:40 am 
Waitrose Warrior

exapno mapcase wrote:
will always go into the bar rather than the lounge (a concept that's just about gone)

not with me mate i believe all pubs should have a saloon bar and a public bar like they used to, i generally dislike all pubs which are just one room,

for myself though, i am a saloon lounge man, you will always find me at the same table in the lounge at fagans. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:02 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Richard Hawley wrote:
i lament their passing also,it is a sad time for social life in britain for me i can't be arsed with loud clubs and hate pubs with over loud music and telly's in them....its NOT my age i have ALWAYS been like this i like a peaceful vibe where you can have a conversation and a laugh too...i don't mind a tune or two on an actual instrument or a game of domino's

You would like the Volunteer Canteen ('the Volly') in East Street, Waterloo, Liverpool. Traditional, cosy pub - real ales (and cold Guinness!!), no loud music or juke boxes, friendly people and bar staff who remember what you drink. Our local :) :)

If you think you're too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:18 pm 
Hawleytastic!

my fave pub.

view from my fave pub.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:53 am 
Hawleytastic!

Let me think? Is it Ullapool? :wink:

This is my favourite pub in Scotland. The Kinloch Hotel on the Isle of Mull. We had a meal there last year and again this year.

The views at the back and the front.

Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:46 am 
Hawleytastic!

One of my two Favourite pubs; this is the Little Plough at Croft. Its 'sister' pub is the Bulls Head at Newton le Willows. They are both owned by the same landlord/chef. Somehow he has managed to retain the original roadside (almost scruffy) pubs with their original floors and blokey bars, but has added separate restaurants to each pub. The food is excellent and very reasonably priced. You can have a night out there or still go there for a normal pint at the bar in your work gear or jeans. Proper pubs with good food :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:08 pm 
Regular

Richard Hawley wrote:
i lament their passing also,it is a sad time for social life in britain for me i can't be arsed with loud clubs and hate pubs with over loud music and telly's in them....its NOT my age i have ALWAYS been like this i like a peaceful vibe where you can have a conversation and a laugh too...i don't mind a tune or two on an actual instrument or a game of domino's

Ale, good conversation and a well stocked juke box whilst playing dominos - you CANNOT fall off!!

Chain bars are a no go!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:56 am 
I.....Need.....A.....Life

There are some brilliant pubs around here...........I used to work behind the bar in my local....I used to love it..................Saturdays were always fun as there was a group of couples who always came in with out fail,the banter,the fun I loved it.....................For me it's all about the Landlord,when I was at The Coldstreamer the couple running it were great,he was a miserable bastard and she was mad but it just worked and created a good ambiance...........................they finally retired.The new landlord...well lets just say the ambiance is crap................we made the mistake in having a christmas meal there with work,and it was vile............I don't even think the local janners go in there anymore.........................the goodtime vibes went with the previous landlord..that's for sure..................