Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:02 pm 
Hawley Groupie

Im all for any sort of funeral for thatcher as soon as possible, what about this afternoon, I think she is personally resposible for fucking this country in every way

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:36 am 
Regular

Can't let this one go yet.

Quote:
and I'll add to this by saying that if her apologists need to invoke Pinochet to gain perspective then there is something very wrong.

Here we go again saying someone's a supporter, apologist, sychophant whatever just because they aren't rabidly anti-thatcher.

But I really don't see what all the fuss is about. She developed a strong economy and though it might have been at the expense of the lower-income groups we still follow her economic plan today don't we.

People make her sound her like some Dictator when if they'd really lived under a dictator they'd know what it was like. We still have freedom and speech and expression and the 1980s were one of the most creative periods in pop music. It's not like we were all trogging around in chains brow-beaten all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:55 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Phil King wrote:
we still follow her economic plan today don't we.

On one level yes- but there's a view that the events of the past few months signify the overdue death of that economic model - with what are effectively massive nationalisations in the financial sector and the rebirth of regulation to try to sort of the mess that has been made.

One of the reasons people get so angry is I think precisely because we mostly fell a bit complicit (or at least guilty for not successfully fighting) in the shift towards venal self-interest that she set as the underlying principle - one that Labour felt they had to acknowledge and play up to a bit in order to take and keep power. Probably rightly. But that doesn't make it Right. Things have changed for the better though - now the Tories at least feel that they have to at least look like they give a fuck about equality if they think they're going to get in.

It was never a police state and it still isn't,. It didn't need to be to get people feeling brow-beaten. By allowing and arguably exacerbating the economic gaps, that waws enough towear people down. (NB not all of what was done was subtle, things like section 28 got through in that time.)
I think the best of the 80s music came about precisely because there was something that needed kicking against and there was misery. Bad times=good music is too simplistic an equation, but there's a truth in it.

I've worked with people who worked closely with Thatcher in the 70s - they said that on a personal level she was very nice and very loyal and supportive of her staff. That's not the sort of thing that gets you state funerals though and I don't think she deserves one.

http://www.soundsxp.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:58 pm 
Original Hippy

spt wrote:
It was never a police state and it still isn't,

A lot of people who lived in South Yorkshire at the time of the miners strike would disagree on that one. Freedom of movement was very heavily curtailed, and the police force was effectively used as a political army (not surprising, considering the number of squaddies who were dressed up in police uniforms at events such as Orgreave - and police acquaintances of mine who were there have confirmed this many times).

The police were used in a way that had never happened before - and we all know what happens once a dog is let off the leash........ :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:36 pm 
Hawleytastic!

NickD wrote:
spt wrote:
It was never a police state and it still isn't,

A lot of people who lived in South Yorkshire at the time of the miners strike would disagree on that one. Freedom of movement was very heavily curtailed, and the police force was effectively used as a political army (not surprising, considering the number of squaddies who were dressed up in police uniforms at events such as Orgreave - and police acquaintances of mine who were there have confirmed this many times).

That was another eg I was going to use. I should've said "it was never quite a police state"

http://www.soundsxp.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:48 am 
Regular

Hi spt

I think you've 'hit the nail on the head' when you say
Quote:
One of the reasons people get so angry is I think precisely because we mostly fell a bit complicit (or at least guilty for not successfully fighting) in the shift towards venal self-interest that she set as the underlying principle - one that Labour felt they had to acknowledge and play up to a bit in order to take and keep power.

yeah it shows what fragile ground we've all been standing on for the past 25 years economically (and not realising/acknowledging it) and now we're going to have to change our way of thinking.

Not that it really matters tho' if according to what 'The Independent' says this morning comes true. Methane being released (pissing out according to reporter) from under the icecaps with a 100X potency as greenhouse gas than CO2. We'll all be frying in a couple of years anyway (politicians included).........

(Not that this is Mrs. T related but for me it certainly put things in to perspective)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:56 am 
Hawley Groupie

Phil King wrote:
Not that it really matters tho' if according to what 'The Independent' says this morning comes true. Methane being released (pissing out according to reporter) from under the icecaps with a 100X potency as greenhouse gas than CO2. We'll all be frying in a couple of years anyway (politicians included).........

Summat to look forward to, eh?

Mr. H, best hurry up with that next long player...

the end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:33 am 
Regular

Quote:
Phil King wrote:

Summat to look forward to, eh?

Yeah, just thought I'd cheer everyone up.

Bit frightening though int it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:31 pm 
Newcomer

I read on the BBC website troday that Mrs Thatcher is suffering from dementia nowadays. Good!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:34 pm 
Hawleytastic!

the mediator wrote:
I read on the BBC website troday that Mrs Thatcher is suffering from dementia nowadays. Good!

What do they mean "nowadays"?....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:27 am 
Site Admin

The ultimate nut cracker

http://www.firebox.com/product/2170/Maggie-Nut-Cracker

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:51 pm 
Regular poster

Didnt know she had died :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:58 pm 
The Boss

she hasn't.....yet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:11 am 
Resident YouTube tech guru

No, but she started to decompose years ago....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:59 am 
Hawleytastic!

Pete Wylie gets in early

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=76433863

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next