Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: A Road Trip
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:56 pm 
Hawleytastic!

One of my long held ambitions is to take a month for a long drive across the southern states of the US of A and take pictures along the way. Corny I know, but hey?

Until I have enough money and time, there is always other peoples photos to look at. I found this site today

http://www.meryltruett.com/

Any other 'Lost Highway' images you know of?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:42 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Am so envious of your forthcoming trip, Simon.

A couple of years ago myself and a group of friends did a roadtrip from Vegas to LA to Pheonix and back to Vegas.

It started with a drive through the Mojave Desert (stopping for brunch at a great Greek restaurant in the middle of nowhere) before dropping down off the plateau to see LA spread out below us. The drive to Pheonix took us past Coachella and along the edge of the Joshua Tree National Park and we stopped at the Hoover Dam on the drive back from Pheonix to Vegas.

It was a mad and exhausting week but we saw and experienced things we'd have totally missed if we'd chosen to fly - and the best thing was we managed to take in a great concert almost every night along the way. :wink:

Brilliant times - would love to do something similar again one day.

All the best with your adventure mate. Come back and share the photos won't you? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:10 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Two of my work colleagues have done various road trips around the USA and have had superb times. One of them did a six week run right down the Pacific seaboard.

I went on a road trip around Southern Greece two years ago this May, which was brilliant - a real 'boys adventure'- strange foods, hangovers, interesting people, sights, the lot. Being a keen photographer, I was rarely with a camera, so I documented it pretty well. In fact it was so good, I am planning another one this year to a more mountainous part of Greece.

I hope you fulfill your ambition and make the trip, especially if you travel with likeminded people. Try and do it sooner rather than later; sometimes these things get put on hold for far too long. My trip did, it took around 23 years to get off my ass and do something about it!

Cheers, Steve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:10 pm 
Hawleytastic!

..I've done Los Angeles to New York with Trek America, which was great. We arrived in New York less than two weeks before 9/11 and I have a sequence of photos which show the Twin Towers getting bigger as we were approaching from the south. Quite freaky in retrospect.

With a band mate, we hired a car and drove from Los Angeles to New Orleans in 2005, when we were playing the French Quarter Festival, and in 2007 we did a round trip from Houston, up to Santa Fe and came back through Texas to Louisiana.

On my own, I drove from Memphis to Nashville, down to Montgomery Alabama for the Hank Williams Museum and then drove all the way to Lubbock for the Buddy Holly Centre and to visit his grave, before driving back across the Panhandle to Memphis, Tennessee where I visited Graceland.

What you can't beat is the feeling of space and scale. Driving through Death Valley, hiking the Grand Canyon - there's nothing like it. Lots of my USA travel photos in amongst this lot -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/efsb/sets/ ... 440597722/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:19 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Did any disasters befall any of those places following your visits, efsb? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:55 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Rita wrote:
Did any disasters befall any of those places following your visits, efsb? :wink:

Er..yes...9/11 and Hurricanes Katrina, Rita and Gustav.

Sorry, America.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:14 pm 
The Boss

i would start south and drive north through the"southern states"over the mountains,i did it playing in bands and it was amazing,Steven Fry's telly thing was almost the same

each to their own,i sincerely hope you have the trip of a life time mate,look out for those music stores they do your head in,there is a lot of beauty there and not always obvious

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:23 pm 
Hawleytastic!

efsb wrote:
Er..yes...9/11 and Hurricanes Katrina, Rita and Gustav.

Sorry, America.

:oops:
Sorry! I was being a bit flippant..... and I obviously didn't read your post at the beginning properly. :wink: