Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Old Stuff
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:28 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Hello Folks

As something of a photographer, I have an old camera I purchased in 1982 that has seen stacks of use over the years. It is a good old fashioned mechanical SLR that takes batteries which have not been readily available for around the last eight years.

I am a bit sentimental about this venerable old thing, so a few months ago I sent it to the USA for a complete rebuild. It has just arrived back all cleaned, lubed and in full working condition (even the battery type has been converted for modern use). I am so happy that I can continue using it into the digital age. There is something so wonderful about still using a piece of kit that has been at my side all of my adult years. It has recorded most of the major events in my life, and should now continue to do so.

Do any of you feel the same way about any old stuff that you may have, or am I just being toooooooo sentimental? I am not a complete luddite when it comes to this sort of thing, as I have several other camera's, some of which are digital. This old tub just seems that bit more special though.

Cheers, Steve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:39 am 
Hawleytastic!

I have one of the old Singer sewing machines that was restored for me and I've always held on to it and probably always will. In later years I was given an electric machine but I just can't get on with it, I go back to the old one every time as it has been very faithful!

I also use my old hand drill that I was given when I left home (one of the ones that looks like a whisk) as I prefer that to the modern electric one I have. Similarly with a whisk - I always go back to that rather than the modern blender.

I have an old dictionary from 1931 that I rebound many years ago and I'd much rather use that than the new ones that are available.

I'm gradually replacing new/newish stuff in my home with old stuff - the next thing to go is cutlery - I am looking out for a nice canteen of good old sheffield cutlery from the 30's. I've already replaced all my china, several bookcases, clocks, heaters and the whole bedroom suite of furniture. Give me old any time - it was built better for a start! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:44 am 
I've an old pair of trainers that i grew very attached to after they became 'lucky'. I'd worn them to every single Rovers game when we were promoted in 2003. I kept up wearing them right until the end of the season despite the fact they were literally falling apart on my feet and were barely held together by anything but the laces. Despite big holes even in the wet they were worn. After the play off final they were retired as they were virtually in bits. However the following season after an indifferent start where we were struggling in about 17th place i dragged them out for one last go. We beat Yeovil 1-0, went on a great unbeaten run and finished the season as Champions. Since that night they're still in the back of the wardrobe, waiting for the next time the magic is really needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:26 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Quote:
Give me old any time - it was built better for a start!

I couldn't agree more - I still have a Iggy Pop shirt from his 'Party' tour back in 1981, and it is still wearable, although not on me as I have expanded a bit :)

Cheers, Steve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:06 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I've got an old Dansette record player, an RG31 from the early 60s, and almost identical to one that my dad bought with his first wage packet on the buses in 1958. That original Dansette stayed in our house until 1982 and survived being used by five not very careful kids!

By that time it was my record player, and is what I used to play every single record I bought. However, for my 9th birthday, I got enough money to get a new stereo record player from the (then) recently opened Poundstretcher on The Moor. So the Dansette was given to my cousin who promptly ripped out the insides and turned it into a toy cabinet for his kids. And I was never happy about it.

Anyway, last year I got lucky on eBay and picked up one almost identical for a tenner and in perfect working order. I'd forgotten how brutal and mechanical they were, the records dropping down on top of each other, the big metal arm landing on the play-in groove. I'd also forgotten how great they sounded - that's how music used to sound and should sound! Even the radio still works.

Now I've got one again, I don't ever want to be without it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:11 pm 
I.....Need.....A.....Life

simong wrote:

Jesus...that's a beautiful model..........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:06 pm 
Flange cheese munching cockend

CraigA wrote:
I've an old pair of trainers that i grew very attached to after they became 'lucky'. I'd worn them to every single Rovers game when we were promoted in 2003. I kept up wearing them right until the end of the season despite the fact they were literally falling apart on my feet and were barely held together by anything but the laces. Despite big holes even in the wet they were worn. After the play off final they were retired as they were virtually in bits. However the following season after an indifferent start where we were struggling in about 17th place i dragged them out for one last go. We beat Yeovil 1-0, went on a great unbeaten run and finished the season as Champions. Since that night they're still in the back of the wardrobe, waiting for the next time the magic is really needed.

Are they stored next to your magic beans and lucky bellybutton fluff? :roll:

I really don't belive in lucky charms apart from my fave pair of pulling underpants only held together by the stubborn understains.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:23 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Dave wrote:
I really don't belive in lucky charms apart from my fave pair of pulling underpants only held together by the stubborn understains.

All of a sudden I don't feel so good....... Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:24 pm 
Site Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:19 pm 
Hawleytastic!

simong wrote:
I've got an old Dansette record player, an RG31 from the early 60s, and almost identical to one that my dad bought with his first wage packet on the buses in 1958. That original Dansette stayed in our house until 1982 and survived being used by five not very careful kids!

Now I've got one again, I don't ever want to be without it!

I want one! Can't you just smell that gorgeous leathery dusty smell that was unique to record players?

(No pictures of lucky undies PLEASE!) :*:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:28 am 
Resident YouTube tech guru

I have a Dansette & it smells just like you describe :)
I agree, things were made better in the past. I have an old Zenith camera, which people laugh at, but you could knock nails in with it!

I have a great fondness for things that last, that aren't made of fragile plastic & that can be repaired. Don't get me wrong, modern technology's great, but there's nothing like old fangled. :thumleft:

Some things we should still have....

Mechanical watches,
Telephones with a proper bell,
Starting handles for cars,
The steam engine,

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:31 am 
Hawleytastic!

The first two I still have :D

Mind you its expensive when the watches need a service - £75 a time - that reminds me I must pick up my cocktail watch from the jeweller! I won't have a quartz watch - I don't feel they're real if they run by a battery:?

My old telephone is lovely - a big heavy bakelite model with an old fashioned ring. The only thing is you can't use it when you're ringing call centres or banks or whatever as you need the modern dialling technology to pick the options! :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:50 am 
I.....Need.....A.....Life

loftyeric2 wrote:

Mechanical watches,

:wink:

I totally agree with you Lofty...I have a 60s Timex and it's never let me down.
The oldest and certainly oddest item I ever had was a GDR vacum cleaner...........when dismantled 'one' could use the motor as a food blender.........yeah weird shit......Jesus that thing could suck.............

Post subject: Re: Old Stuff
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:17 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Steve Lane wrote:
Hello Folks

Do any of you feel the same way about any old stuff that you may have, or am I just being toooooooo sentimental? Cheers, Steve.

I dont think you are being toooooooooooooo sentimental at all Steve.............I still have my first ever pair of shoes..........admitidly I cant exactly remember wearing them or will get the chance to again...............*...........but there they are in a corner of my draw, all wrapped up in sentimental tissue paper!!!!............. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:16 pm 
Geordie Admin Dominatrix

I had an old box Brownie camera that my dad gave me - I learned how to use it from being about 6 or 7 and although I never really thought about it then, it must have been pretty important as I can still remember the look and feel of it vividly. I gave it, and my first 'expensive' camera (a Pentax MX, cost me £125 in 1981 - a fortune!!!!) to a charity shop, I reckoned they would benefit from the money they would raise more than I would sitting looking at them.

I feel a bit sort of shallow reading this thread - I'm not terribly sentimental about 'things', more the memories they evoke - I have a tendency to give my stuff away to people if they admire or let me know that they really like something so as a result i don't hang onto stuff and I don't have anything 'old'.

If I'm honest, genuinely old stuff gives me the creeps, I can't explain why, but i love modern stuff like 50's style clothes and stuff that looks old.

I used to live in an old terraced house but I wasn't happy until we'd plasrtered and renewed the whole of the inside so it looked new inside but it still had loads of character.

I'm weird. :shock: