Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Haworth
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:20 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Back from our weekend in Haworth, having had a grand time. The village was holding its 14th '40's weekend', and the place was full of folk dressed in all manner of 2nd world war uniforms and outfits. Baroness, you'd have been in your element! Rolled hair-dos, stockings with seams up the back, furs stoles, hats, shoes ..... There was period music and live performers, vintage vehicles, wartime food on offer in the cafes and pubs and the streets were full to bursting. We already want to go back next year - Sean wants to dress up as a spiv!

The sweet shop is still there Richard, but couldn't see the record shop. There's also a fab old fashioned apothecary selling all sorts of stuff I remember from my childhood - and a haunting odour of carbolic soap.

Also went to Oakworth station, just a mile away, where the original Railway Children was filmed. Beautifully maintained, and a very friendly stationmaster who couldn't have been more courteous. The scenery in the area is breathtaking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:07 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Now that sounds fantastic! :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:37 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Did you visit the Bronte Parsonage Museum? I've taken countless Y9 trips there (well, about 9 or 10, actually) We always visit the museum first, let the kids loose along the main street, meet back up at the coach and then get dropped off near the Pennine way and walk up to Top Withens, back via the Bronte Bridge and Falls, over the moor back to the bus and home. Always a top day.
The sheep at Top Withens are amazingly tame - the kids always love it up there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:07 am 
'Thinks he's a bit of alright'

Looks like they're a good lot of kids :D

I want to go to the 40's weekend. Might have to drag Dave along next years. Sounds like much, much fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:27 am 
Hawleytastic!

I'm coming too in that case - wouldn't want to go on my own.......

I went to a day in Suffolk a few years ago and didn't know what to expect - had a very interesting conversation with a member of the WI about whether my Anderson shelter had arrived and if I had found it difficult to construct! :*:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:59 am 

Cool!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:15 am 
Hawleytastic!

Never been to Howarth. Looks a really top place from those photographs.

Must check it out at some point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:45 pm 
Hawleytastic!

It's lovely if you stay away from the main tourist season. The parsonage is fascinating if you are a Bronte fan. There are some lovely walks in the area too. That bloody hill is steep though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:46 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Yep, the parsonage was the original purpose of our visit to Haworth, and the 40's weekend was just a happy co-incidence. No wonder we found accommodation hard to come by. In the end we stayed in a wonderful one-bedroom cottage with a superbly comfortable bed.

The parsonage is indeed very interesting, with new exhibits added for 2009. I have wanted to visit there since I saw a piece about it on Blue Peter years ago. A great insight into social history of those times.

efsb, your photos are fab - wish I had had a teacher like you at my school. (It was an all girls school and we had only one male teacher, whose subject was religious studies - one of my A level subjects - deeeadly boring in his hands!!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:28 pm 
Hawleytastic!

When I went to Haworth I just wanted to walk on the moors and be Cathy. :) It was so windy and I got very cold. A couple of days later I got a sore throat and don't think I have felt so ill in all my life. I loved the experience though, it is wild and beautiful up there. I must go again sometime, we can get there and back in a day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:43 pm 
Hawleytastic!

We bought our dog from a farm near Haworth (Wilsden). We are stupid enough to take him back there every time we go on holiday so that he can stay with his mum and dad! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 5:53 pm 

Jan H wrote:
We bought our dog from a farm near Haworth (Wilsden). We are stupid enough to take him back there every time we go on holiday so that he can stay with his mum and dad! :roll:

Aw that's really lovely!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:44 pm 
Hawleytastic!

My son recently took his new girlfriend to Haworth for the day..... all I could get out of him was that they went to a pub...... I think we over- Bronte-ed him in his youth! haha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:05 pm 
Regular

Lovely! I'm quite homesick now :) Haworth is one of my favourite places on earth. It was always a good place to disappear to when I got cheesed off or wanted a break. Used to always stay at the Apoethcary and eat at the Black Bull.

First time I went there it turned out the people at the Apothecary knew my Dad (now what's the chances of that, we're from London originally) so I got a discount on the rates. Think it was ten quid a night back then!