Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The price of tickets
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:04 am 
Hawleytastic!

Just have to have a rant. Really wanted to go see Fleetwood Mac but the tickets were £70 and up!! How can they justify this price? I know they are a big band but £70??????? When you've got kids and work part-time and are a stay at home mum it's hard to afford it, plus I woud feel guilty paying this. It's a shame because it could be their last tour, who knows, anyway, rant over :*: by the way, to go see Richard was a cracking price I could afford that, don't start doing stadiums, wouldn't be able to go then :*:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:10 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

I couldn't agree more - £70 is a lot of money to pay for a gig. I could not afford to this kind of price as I would have to times it by three, as my wife and lad would want to come along.

There are some bands I like that I know I will never see, because they only seem to perform at large venues, where the tickets are sooooo expensive. The last stadium gig I went to was in the early 1980's, and I did not like the experience. I much prefer small clubs, town halls and the like.

Cheers, Steve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:00 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Most I've paid was 200 for a Stones ticket, but I'd never pay that much again. Concert tickets in the main are a rip off, the industry reckon they've put the prices up to compensate for the fall in cd sales/rise in piracy, but...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:45 pm 
Hawleytastic!

On planet sound this morn for 11 hundred pound you can have the pleasure of sittin in the front row at the 02 arena for Bon jovi or only 500 or so for the first block-bargain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:47 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I agree, much prefer smaller venues, like York Grand Opera House, was amazing seeing Richard there!! I've loved Fleetwood Mac since I was ten (no joke) and am gutted (think it's been and gone now anyway) but was thinking of putting em my husbands credit card in June but it's just not worth it. Such a shame, like you say, there are some bands that you can't go see. Wow two hundred for a Stones ticket, crazy money!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:48 pm 
Hawleytastic!

hissyt wrote:
On planet sound this morn for 11 hundred pound you can have the pleasure of sittin in the front row at the 02 arena for Bon jovi or only 500 or so for the first block-bargain

Why would you even pay twenty pounds to see Bon Jovi :*: argh, can't stand that band :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:55 pm 
Site Admin

I can see that if groups are not making money out of album sales due to free downloading, they are going to put up the cost of gigs.

Don't forget though that some of those groups bring equipment (e.g. the strange platform U2 had at their gigs) and that has to be paid for, and paid for by the people attending the gig. And the larger the venue the more staff have to be employed to stop you taking photographs and recording as well as the usual stuff they have to do. So the cost of the gig rises.

And of course the better known the artist is the more they expect to earn from doing the gig, most of them are not playing just because you want to hear them, they are promoting a new album, and wanting to make pots of money out of it.

The most I've paid so far was £30 to see Marc Almond at Wilton's Music Hall - the venue is wierd but very suited to the music he was doing. The place is ramshackle and needs a lot of work doing to it and I suspect most of the ticket money was going towards future renovation work rather than the artist.

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:00 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Agreed, but do you remember Prince doing a tour and he charged something like thirty quid a ticket? It can be done, I would rather see the band/artiste than a big lemon onstage that cost a million pounds :*:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:46 pm 
The Boss

this is deffo the knock on effect of downloading music for fuck all,if a musician and his/her music isn't thought to be worth enough to actually pay for it how the fuck do you expect them to actually put food on the table?

I know maybe musicians can"share food"as in"file sharing"i will come round your house and"share"your food

while i'm at it i might"share"your fuckin telly oh and i will"share"your valuables too while i'm at it :evil:

Last edited by Richard Hawley on Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:02 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Sorry Richard :( I honestly never download for free, I always buy/get bought CD's. I don't agree with illegal downloading either. I just don't think it's fair when you wan't to go to a concert and the tickets are way too expensive. It's annoying because I don't drink or smoke, music is my fave thing and I wan't to be able to see my fave bands or singers without getting into debt :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:18 pm 
Site Admin

Someone on Last FM asked where they could download Cousteau's music. I replied Amazon and iTunes. Response was 'hee hee, I'm not used to paying for music'.

I explained to the supposed fan of the group that if they were not prepared to pay for music they would never, ever get any more music from anyone as they would never ever be able to afford to make more music.

Simple fact really.

And therefore, if groups do tour and that is their only income then they have to charge appropriately.

You pay a plumber maybe £120 for a couple of hours work so why not pay that for a gig?? (remembering that not all of the ticket price goes to the artist, they get a very small percentage of it.)

(This doesn't mean I agree with those ticket prices, just that working partially on the musicians side of things I can see why prices are rising.)

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:25 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Yup, I see what you mean, it is totally not fair and what gives people the right to get free downloads? They wouldn't walk out of HMV without paying! It's not fair on us that do everything right and then get charged more :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:52 pm 
The Boss

i agree the decent folks are getting hammered with it in fact i doubt those freeloaders would even go to a gig to be honest so you get fucked because of what they do,i hate it all,its not just music in our whole society EVERYTHING has been devalued everyone knows the price of everything and the value of nothing

well............not everyone :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:16 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I just paid £65...plus almost £10 booking Fee for Bon Jovi......

Paid £30 to see Elvis The Concert next Feb...and he's dead.... :*: .... worth every penny :*:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:51 pm 
Flange cheese munching cockend

Richard Hawley wrote:
i agree the decent folks are getting hammered with it in fact i doubt those freeloaders would even go to a gig to be honest so you get fucked because of what they do,i hate it all,its not just music in our whole society EVERYTHING has been devalued everyone knows the price of everything and the value of nothing

well............not everyone :wink:

Where do you stand on 'guestlist' and people getting in free to gigs?