Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:54 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2154 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 144  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:22 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Just a word to those who may be considering buying David Attenborough's programmes on DVD. By all means do so, they're fantastic, but hang on to the receipt until you're sure everything's in working order. There seems to be some problem at the factory that is packaging them for the BBC. A while ago we bought The Life of Mammals and had to return it because one of the discs was scratched and unplayable. The second copy we got was fine. But I just bought Life on Earth and when I opened the box, an extra copy of one of the discs fell out! All the discs were there that were supposed to be, but they'd put in two copies of one -- either that, or that was the disc with all the rabbits on it. :roll: These sets were both shrinkwrapped, so the problem must have occurred before they were shipped to the store.

Anyway, since we got our computer I've been all excited about buying DVDs. In addition to the Attenborough discs, we've got Battleship Potemkin, Lawrence of Arabia (I've seen the film about six times, but the DVD has loads of extras), Black Books, and a disc of Pulp videos that is really good except for this weird guitarist that pops up a few times. :wink:

How about you guys?

Campaign for free speech and democracy in the former USSR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:27 pm 
The last one i remember buying was Moulin Rouge but that was a couple of months ago. I buy plenty usually, just never seem to get around to watching them, i have some that are 2 or 3 years old and still in the shrink wrap. I also got the Shrek 1&2 boxset plus Early Doors series one at Christmas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:27 pm 
Biggest Hawley Fan on Canal Street

I am currently suffering Sex and the City complete last series, which James seems to think is brilliant, hillarious etc etc and I think is poo.
Got Shrek II from my kids, which is good fun and new order Reading 98/New York 81 which is brilliant. :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:29 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Galene Megale wrote:
, Lawrence of Arabia (I've seen the film about six times, but the DVD has loads of extras),

That probably is one film that doesn't need the 'extras'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:06 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Just got the 'digitally remastered' Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence and just ordered the DVD of 'Bambi' (Disney was a reactionary old git but that is, imho, one of the most beautiful animated films ever made :D )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:09 pm 
Original Hippy

I got "Pink Floyd Live At Pompeii" for Xmas & it is marvellous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:11 pm 
Original Hippy

Oh, and a DVD of original Thunderbirds episodes. Well technically I suppose it belongs to my little lad, but he can't have it until I'm finished with it. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:56 am 
Too much time on my hands

Just bought the 'Our Friends in the North' box set from HMV. The best TV series ever made I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:13 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Ours were Teachers boxset and Dylan Moran - Monster Tour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:32 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Bought this box set with some birthday money. Original Ladykillers is a classic.

Four classic comedies in one collection, and its in a nice fold box, brings back memories of when you used to be proud of your album covers.

Lavender Hill Mob
Man In The White Suit
Ladykillers
Kind Hearts And Coronets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:33 am 
Part Troll - Bill Bailey
Elvis - 68 Comeback Special
Pulp - Hits DVD (worth it at double the price to see Jarvis as Brian May in the promo for Bad Cover Version)

and the first season of Buffy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:24 pm 
I got three more Hitchcock DVDs for my expanding collection and the Elvis Comeback special, which I was so excited about I almost passed out...or wind. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:36 pm 
Site Admin

Michelvis wrote:
I got three more Hitchcock DVDs for my expanding collection and the Elvis Comeback special, which I was so excited about I almost passed out...or wind. :D

which Hitchcocks have you Michelvis ? Rear WIndow is my ultimate fave !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:15 am 
Rear Window is indeed a favourite and is definitely Sean's favourite, he is a big Jimmy Stewart fan...not to mention Grace Kelly!

I did a module on Hitchcock at uni and had lots of fun...erm I own: Rear Window, Vertigo, The Birds, Psycho, Rope, Shadow of a Doubt, Torn Curtain, The Man Who Knew Too Much (both versions) and The 39 Steps. As I earn more I shall buy more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:39 am 
Site Admin

Michelvis wrote:
Rear Window is indeed a favourite and is definitely Sean's favourite, he is a big Jimmy Stewart fan...not to mention Grace Kelly!

I did a module on Hitchcock at uni and had lots of fun...erm I own: Rear Window, Vertigo, The Birds, Psycho, Rope, Shadow of a Doubt, Torn Curtain, The Man Who Knew Too Much (both versions) and The 39 Steps. As I earn more I shall buy more.

for whatever reason I have never really loved vertigo, it seems to drag after the 1st quarter for me.....have you ever seen Psycho II ? it was done after Hitchcock died apparently or was at least finsihed directing, has Anthony Hopkins in the lead again... long story short its fuckin great !

Sean does have taste... Grace Kelly ! how damn sexy is she in that movie !!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2154 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 144  Next