Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:26 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Darren Bent
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:51 pm 
Gentleman of floral persuasion

Apart from the obvious money situation,why would a player want to leave a team that has a realistic chance of fourth spot to join a team in a relegation scrap?
Exapno....as our resident Mackem authority.....is he crazy or just another greedy bastard?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:48 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Darren Bent is a great goalscorer and will be badly missed by Sunderland. He's left a sour taste for all sorts of reasons, some real, some imagined. Apparently he asked for a transfer in August as a Turkish side offering a stack of cash were sniffing around, it's suggested that the Villa link has been going on for a few weeks now which may partly explain a drop in form. He is supposed to have asked for the transfer just after the derby match or even just before which hardly suggests that in a game where he missed a sitter (not the first time he's missed a hatful but I tend to look on the positive side at the ones he has got) and we really needed a win to restore a bit of local pride he's already left. He's had odd bits of hassle in Newcastle and maybe the goldfish bowl of the north east football scene has got to him. He's obviously been unhappy at Sunderland for whatever reasons - I think his nose was pushed out of joint when Gyan signed and quickly proved his popularity with fans and then having to fit into a three man attack when he came back from injury and not having the team set up to necessarily suit him.

Anyone can leave any club, it's rarely pleasant for the fans when the player is popular and well liked. When a player leaves for no obvious reason other than money it raises questions about his overall temperament. At Sunderland he had a guaranteed starting place for the first time since he was at Charlton, he had a manager who publicly supported him and boosted him when he'd been talked down and mistreated at Spurs. The vast majority of fans were proud of him and he'd got himself on the brink of a more regular England place. As a club we are doing well - I think 4th is stretching things but I'd be shocked if we aren't healthily ahead of Villa at the end of the season. I understand that Villa's recent history has been more successful than Sunderland's but they appear to be a ship in turmoil, in a lowly league position with a manager who seems to have taken a decent side and overseen a steady decline with few signs of improvement - Martin O'Neill must be wondering how come he never got the money from selling his best players. Money is the motivation whatever Bent says. Maybe he can't stay still for long but I'd sooner he said he likes new challenges than effectively belittles the club who picked him up and believed in him when others turned their nose up. He has insulted the fans, our club and our intelligence. He has made a big deal of his affiliation to the club and the area - clearly phoney. We are left with one centre forward who is fit ......and Healy who is just shit so we need at least one forward to be signed as soon as possible. Nobody is likely to come in and score the goals that Bent has but Gyan might just do that and between him and Danny Wellbeck who I don't imagine Manchester United will dream of selling, we may just net a few more all in. Bent will score goals for Villa but they have bigger problems than his signing can solve.

In summary then, Bent is a money grabbing arsehole who can fuck off. If he doesn't want to play for us then £18m is a canny fee. He isn't Marco Gabbiadini, he isn't Kevin Phillips and he couldn't even wipe Niall Quinn's nose. He's just a twat on twitter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:53 pm 
Site Admin

£18 million eh, wonder how much ole Harry's missus must be worth so. Very strange move Sunderland as are clearly a side going places certainly ahead of villa.

For where you can't go
Mustang horses, champagne glasses
Anything frail anything wild
It's the price of living motion, what's beautiful is broken
And grace is just the measure of a fall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:00 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Didn't rate him much when he was at the Lane – dull, goal-hanger, who mostly missed anyway. Mad that anyone would pay that much money for him. x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:45 pm 
Hawleytastic!

At Charlton he was amazing. I can't really understand why he thinks Villa are a better team than Sunderland though. I think there was a possibility that Chelsea wanted him so I'm not totally sure that the Villa thing is all about money. I would have thought Liverpool might be interested in him too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:18 pm 
Secretly Canadian

Something doesn't add up if it's just about money.

Randy Lerner is supposedly cautious with the cheque book and wouldn't spend big to push the club on, hence Martin O'Neill's departure. Though i think it's something Lerner should be applauded for, trying to keep the club within their means. Unless he's just had a sudden shit panic when he's seen the club close to that dreaded line on the tables.

There are/have been other clubs supposedly interested in Bent, who you'd think would have been more likely/willing to chuck even bigger money at him.

"you ain't afraid of no alleyway when you are the thing in the dark"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:06 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Niall Quinn is saying they got £24 million for him but its gonna be in installments and most of the first installment has gone to Spurs as Sunderland were paying for him in the same way.

So i can't see any big name replacements coming in January anyway.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 367360.stm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:22 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Guess that scuppers the Pavlyuchenko rumour, 12 letters is a canny big name..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:33 am 
Hawleytastic!

You can't have Pav. I won't allow it. x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:21 pm 

You must be over the moon with Ricardo Fuller. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:36 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Yes. Wouldn't have been a good move – Pav's loved at the Lane, don't quite understand why Harry would be even thinking about considering it when at least two of our other strikers are shite. After some night matches, when I go up to bed, I can hear my boy singing Pav, Pav, Super Pav, Super Pavlyuchenko, really softly to himself. Love that. x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:24 pm 

The comment was for Exapno,not you thread killer :*:
But while you are on about Spurs songs........i love watching Spurs this season,but because of the irritatingly awful slow motion version of When The Saints Go Marching In,i have to watch the telly with the sound off.Where did that come from.......it's got to stop!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:42 pm 
Hawleytastic!

That's a good song that! Guess you have to be there...
The best chant I've ever seen at the Lane was a couple of years back when we played Man City. Liam Gallagher was in one of the posh boxes, giving people the finger. And the whole crowd sang: "You're just a shit Chas and Dave" at him. And instead of ignoring it or laughing (because that is funny), he just got the massive hump, and shook his fists at people and and generally behaved like a twat, which meant that it went on all game. Proper funny. Promise I won't kill your thread anymore, I'll gracefully retire. x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:05 am 
Hawleytastic!

Liam Gallagher is easily one of the funniest humans that has ever existed.

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/52143974.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921F7C3FC3F69D929FD9E3357457EC1F8CD7D7788591C30D26E9CA554B57BD8513AB01E70F2B3269972

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:33 am 
Donkey Cock

Did you hear Michael Barrymore decided to apply
to be Aston Villa manager?
He heard that the Villa strikers were now Young and Bent.