Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:05 am 
The Boss

very revealing i thought,that picture of the two lads jumping on the park bench on fire they are totally surrounded not by police or other students but by media photographers.............and all that time they were allowed to set fire to stuff.......the police filmed it all...........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:56 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Looks like someone from the Magic Numbers in Pic 8.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:05 pm 
Hawleytastic!

famous republican barry goldwater (something of a libertarian i imagine )

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:04 pm 
I.....Need.....A.....Life

Yes....'Milkcowblue'.....they are incredible shots ,thank heavens water canons were not involved...imagine....horses are pretty reliable at over reacting..somebody would have been killed..trampled by a freaked out nag...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:31 pm 
The Boss

beaux nidle wrote:

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."

what a wonderful quote

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:35 pm 
Regular

Richard Hawley wrote:
... they are totally surrounded not by police or other students but by media photographers.............and all that time they were allowed to set fire to stuff.......the police filmed it all...........

I think it's a given we live in a media hungry world. Maybe it's just job demarcation that the police cameramen didn't step in. PC Dixon would probably have given those boy a cuffing and sent them home.

It's picture no 24 I find disturbing. It's not my vision of the future or the present.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:44 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

milkcowblue wrote:
Richard Hawley wrote:
... they are totally surrounded not by police or other students but by media photographers.............and all that time they were allowed to set fire to stuff.......the police filmed it all...........

I think it's a given we live in a media hungry world. Maybe it's just job demarcation that the police cameramen didn't step in. PC Dixon would probably have given those boy a cuffing and sent them home.

It's picture no 24 I find disturbing. It's not my vision of the future or the present.

I think unfortunately the police are damned if they do and damned if they don't at events like this. I also think people forget that the police are human too and do have limits, I know I'd find it difficult to let people throw bricks and hurl abuse at me without snapping, and the behaviour of some of the protestors has done their cause no favours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:56 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

beaux nidle wrote:

It's misguided judgement like that that leads to situations like the student protests escalating and people being injured or killed. An inch or two the other way and a policeman would have been killed by a fire extinguisher thrown from the roof of a smashed up Tory HQ because of "extremism in the defence of liberty"/tuition fee rises.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:57 pm 
The Boss

did you see the film footage of the police spraying the protesters at Boots with pepper spray the other day?......totally out of order......seeing Grannies and Mums and also random passers by sprayed with it,the officer who used it also got sprayed it was ludicrous it would have been laughable if this kind of idiotic behaviour wasn't so frightening,the Police have a hard job but this kind of thing is so wrong that its no wonder they get a bad rap

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:22 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Richard Hawley wrote:
did you see the film footage of the police spraying the protesters at Boots with pepper spray the other day?......totally out of order......seeing Grannies and Mums and also random passers by sprayed with it,the officer who used it also got sprayed it was ludicrous it would have been laughable if this kind of idiotic behaviour wasn't so frightening,the Police have a hard job but this kind of thing is so wrong that its no wonder they get a bad rap

Can't say I did Mr H, like idiots in day to day life there's always been idiots in the police, but the way people cherry pick video's and tar them all with the same brush just isn't fair. Plus we're only seeing one half of the story with some of these video's and pics. Like the hunting protests in London a while back, do you remember that woman who was in the press complaining about police brutality because she'd been batoned, and a few weeks later a picture surfaced of her punching a police officer in the face shortly beforehand? I mean, that was one extreme. The other would be what you've just described, or that guy who was passing by and trying to get through the protests, and ended up getting caught up with police and collapsed and died last year.. were those over G8? I just think there's two sides to every coin and I don't think it would be fair to nail my colours to one particular mast, it boils down to individuals for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:51 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Just spotted this. Despite angry bloke with megaphone trying to recruit me every time I went though the door to the university library, I didn't go to any of the protests. I had exams. I don't agree with the rise in fees, and Nick Clegg is a bloody traitor... What he did was absolutely disgusting. You expect politicians to bend the truth a little, but to go from 'abolish tuition fees' to 'make tuition fees fucking gigantic' it pushing it a little. But the media screw up my opinions of everything else so I have no idea what I think any more.

So. Balanced (if confused) opinion from a student, I suppose.

Luke, there's no point in arguing that it wasn't a minority, because it obviously was. No matter how many people you see in those shots of the flames and pepper spray and whatever else, logically speaking they cannot possibly all have been starting fires. Of course it was a minority; there were tens of thousands of people there.

Most people there were just marching and waving banners and chanting a bit. And yes, like you said, they did go off course, but all that means is that the people at the front (or some of them) went off course and the others followed them, because it's a march, and being part of the crowd is sort of the point. Wandering around on your own with a placard is unlikely to have much of an effect. I don't think everyone who didn't stay on the planned route is automatically out to cause trouble. And actually, as I understand it, the planned route was changed at the last minute, which is also a bit shit.

Some people are idiots. Chucking stuff at Charles and Camilla's car was ridiculous: no matter how you frame it, they're an elderly couple, with no power whatsoever over education, trying to go out for the night. And setting fires and chucking bricks isn't exactly smart. Then again neither is pepper spraying people for no apparent reason or charging schoolkids with horses. As someone who spends most of her time in university, I can reliably say that there is a tiny minority of militant vegetarians, and people whose sole purpose seems to be always having something to shout about, trying to sign you up to a new cause every week. But mostly it's full of people with heads down working hard for what they want and what they love. I resent the 'bloody students' comment, Murcott ;)

That's it I suppose. As you were.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:00 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Welcome back Disneytime! With logic like that, I'm glad that the future's in your hands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:25 am 
Hawleytastic!

Whenever you go on a protest there's always a small minority of brainless idiots hell bent on stirring up trouble... I think they're called the police.

Sometimes I amuse myself.

:*: :*: :*:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:30 am 
Hawleytastic!

Don't forget about police planting people too. they've got all sides covered!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:04 am 
Hawleytastic!

And as the protests grow, they'll demonise everybody. What will it be next? Home help heavies? Disorderly dinner ladies? Mayhem-causing matrons? People have a right to protest against the dismantling of society and the services it offers its vulnerable. More fool anyone who believes the hype. x

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next