Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:41 pm 
Regular

Villa fan here...just seen this thread.

While I have no illusions that Bent's move to Villa was influenced by money, I think a lot of people were quick to point to the short-term and where both sides were in the league at the time. True, Villa haven't pulled up any trees since but we're certainly not going to go down. Meanwhile Sunderland have plummeted since he left and we are now level on points, largely thanks to Bent's goals. I'd also argue that we have a stronger squad and Lerner isn't short of a few bob to back his manager, possibly unlike Sunderland so it's not silly to suggest he thought he could be more successful at Villa.

And as for O'Neill not being given money...he's a canny fecker who the media love but they never seem to tell the whole story. He was given plenty of money to spend when in charge. The problem was a lot of the players he signed were on big wages and rarely played (Steve Sidwell, Curtis Davies, Nicky Shorey etc.) and some of whom are still draining our wage bill (Habib Beye on £40k a week). He was told, not unreasonably, to reduce the wage bill by getting rid of the players that never got a look-in before buying new players. His ego couldn't take it, threw a wobbler and left five days before the season started, royally messing-up our season. He's a Sunderland fan so if Bruce gets the chop at the end of the season you're more than welcome to him.

As for Houllier, probably the wrong man at the wrong time as much as I applaud his efforts to make us play a more patient-passing game rather than MON's reliance on hoof ball and set-pieces. I think his heart-trouble will be a good reason/excuse to part company in the summer and we'll get someone like Moyes or Hughes in.