Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:28 pm 
The Boss

As the storm still rages around the Phone hacking and its repulsive daily unveiling of some new horror i wondered what folks on here's thoughts were about it all?I realise its probably a foregone conclusion what most of us think plus its so heavily saturated as a main news story in the media in general that it might be a bit much to talk about it on here,i was just interested.We don't have to go mental,but feel free if you wish.

I deliberately put this thread in culture corner as i believe it is ultimately about our culture,we can of course rant about it as it is a subject made for mad raving and ranting.I shall throw my two penorth in later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:12 pm 
Hawleytastic!

for years and years i've held my head in despair at THE SHITE that is force fed the general public and the effect it has on our culture and behaviour. if this makes a change to the lurid headlines, sensationalist bollocks, z list celebrity shagging stories, vile right wing immigrant baiting bollocks then i'll be a happy man.

and can someone please explain in this day and age, what a woman is still doing on page 3 with her tits out? haven't we moved on? can't people buy nuts or zoo for that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:22 am 
Geordie Admin Dominatrix

Women will get well paid for flashing their tits as long as men like looking at them so i can't see that stopping any time soon :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:23 am 
Hawleytastic!

Journalism has a code of conduct and the dirty work is farmed out to PI's who have no code.

So a code is introduced for PI's.

But codes and rules are there to be broken - by the good guys and the bad guys.

The News of The World did loads of 'good' work - if they are the scapegoat - I'm looking for the hidden agenda.

There are other news corporations - but I bet there all up to their necks in simlar deceit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:20 am 
Resident YouTube tech guru

My initial thoughts on this come from all the 'sincere' apologies made by the Murdochs - ie that of course they're not sorry about any of it - apart from the getting found out bit. And closing down the paper, as if anyone believes that's been done for any reason other than some grand gesture of sword falling. It'll turn back up again in five minutes with a different name.

I know the News Of The World was originally intended to inform the average man in the street, but, as you say mph, it's not been doing that in any sensible way for a long time. Just sensationalism for the gormless. And they seem to lap it up & believe it as gospel. :roll:
The tabloid style of journalism makes me cringe. I realise they have to get the stories down succinctly & with regard to space constraints & so on, but does it have to be so....crappy? Perhaps I'm just a snob :?

I doubt any of this furore will stop the phone hacking & intrusion into people's privacy though, sadly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:20 am 
I need a life

I never trust Australians as a rule ;)

But seriously, Gutter journalism is a scurge but its everywhere now unfortunately and it won't leave- The people who don't really care about the news get to feel informed and still look at boobs and have their opinions on issues given to them on a plate for them to have "informed discussions" with their friends.

they didnt really have a choice but to close it because its credibility was at the point of no return even amongst its loyal readers- though as was said before - these things are Time lords- they indefinitely regenerate in new forms

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:26 pm 
Hawleytastic!

stop press - looks like they've arrested rebekah brooks according to the bbc. '43 year old woman arrested.' that fits her profile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:04 pm 
Geordie Admin Dominatrix

They should have said 43 year old Harry Potter extra....does she not have mirrors in her house????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:28 pm 
Geordie Admin Dominatrix

It's that age old combination of power, corruption and money rearing up again.
It was greed for power that led to this, Murdoch wanted even more of a stranglehold on the media and it's resulted in the unravelling of his 'empire' and shown him and his businesses up for what they are - built on foundations of sleaze and nastiness.
Not that any of it is any great surprise -it wouldn't take long, if anyone had stopped to think about it, to realise that Gordon Brown or the NHS wouldn't necessarily volunteer information about his seriously ill son for 'our entertainment', or that all the leaks and revelations about Milly Dowler's then alleged killer hadn't been obtained from legit sources.
The NOTW staff are the first casualties but of course this will be widespread across the newspaper business, I'm sure even the more respectable ones will have done some underhand stuff in order to sell copy and they'll be shitting themselves about what is going to come out.

Trouble is there is an appetite for this stuff, and while those who read it (and I personally couldn't give a flying fuck about Posh's latest Caesarian or which arse cheek Kylie is having Botoxed this week) talk about it for a couple of days and move on to the next celebrity shag fest lives are being wrecked in the process.
There will be more of course, this is just the beginning, and it's just another example of how things that feed the public's ever growing need for sensationalism and excitement by proxy spiral out of control.
We are lucky enough to have freedom of speech and a relatively unfettered press system in this country and look what's been done with it.
I shall now make an excuse and leave :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:13 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Talk about brazen...

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/arc ... ne/242037/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:00 pm 
I.....Need.....A.....Life

Well...there is something very pleasurable about bringing a greedy bastard to his knees...what shall we do next then..?...the banks..the energy companies.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:43 pm 
Hawleytastic!

met chief sir paul stephenson resigns now. the dominos are toppling.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:39 pm 
Hawleytastic!

mph wrote:
met chief sir paul stephenson resigns now. the dominos are toppling.......

Yeah - but as Gramsci said 'meet the new boss - same as the old boss'...

'Wont get fooled again' at the top of the download single chart would be nice - but Townsend and Daltry probably wouldn't make it available for free - although as a charitable donation to the DEC it would be nice...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:52 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Imagine a world without Murdoch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1aZcsY-O8Q

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:43 pm 
Hawleytastic!

The whistle-blowing journalist who first leaked the story has been found dead. Police are "not treating his death as suspicious". Sounds pretty fucking suspicious to me!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jul/18/news-of-the-world-sean-hoare