Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The Awkward Squad
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:40 pm 
Geordie Admin Dominatrix

I went to see this last night - it's clever, and really funny. Anyone who can go and see it at the Arts Theatre in Newport Street, London, please do - it's there for the next 4 weeks.
It's about a mother, two daughters, and one of their daughters and how their lives have been shaped by the miner's strikes in the 80's.
Not heavy going at all, and the back drop at the begining urges everyone to sign an e -petition to sway the government not to give Thatcher a state funeral cos she's an evil old bag.
Go and see it, you won't be disappointed.

Post subject: Re: The Awkward Squad
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:03 am 
Regular poster

maggie wrote:
I went to see this last night - it's clever, and really funny. Anyone who can go and see it at the Arts Theatre in Newport Street, London, please do - it's there for the next 4 weeks.
It's about a mother, two daughters, and one of their daughters and how their lives have been shaped by the miner's strikes in the 80's.
Not heavy going at all, and the back drop at the begining urges everyone to sign an e -petition to sway the government not to give Thatcher a state funeral cos she's an evil old bag.
Go and see it, you won't be disappointed.
Quote:
what makes me laugh most about the thatcher bashing is that if you asked anybody if they voted for her back then no one admitted to it.yet this woman was voted into power with varying majorities for three terms. i think she would have mainly got the womens vote and after that most of middle england.a silent majority it would seem

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:54 pm 
Geordie Admin Dominatrix

Maybe so. She might be a tyrant and a monster but she was also a huge novelty at the time and obviously the majority saw her as a positive alternative.

But your comment has got nothing to do with the play, unless your point is, as I suspect, that the play is trading on the parallel between current and past political themes with no real belief in what it's about.

I can guarantee that the writer and lead of the all women play, Karin Young and Charlie Hardwick respectively, didn't and won't ever vote Tory.